Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Tyrannocaster
Human being with feelings

Default BIG PROBLEM: Reaper shortening notes

I've been editing drum parts and at first I thought this was something about them (they are kind of odd in some ways, but still...shouldn't behave differently) but now I see that Reaper does the same thing to other regular midi items as well - I just hadn't noticed it before. (I'm using 32 bit 4.261 with Windows 7, BTW.) This behavior affects existing notes and it seems to be random - I load a track I've worked on (or I open an item in an already open project) and I notice that a few of the notes now have durations of 0.0.00 or 0.0.01 or something very close - it isn't always .01, sometimes it's .02. The note is still there but of course its display is super short and WORST OF ALL the actual played duration is hosed. The affected notes are so short that unless they are percussion they don't sound.

ANY IDEAS? I'm shouting here because this is a major problem for me. I can't be going in and examining every midi note in a project visually each time I work on it and then fixing them. And sometimes after I fix them they re-shorten themselves.

Is there something that could be hinky with my system? This is so serious I can't imagine they let it out of the box like this. Surely this is something on my end, but WTF could it be?

Wow.

EDIT: Just tested by taking an existing file, opening it and finding some of these short notes, and fixed them and saved the file. Closed Reaper. Re-opened Reaper and the same file and presto - this time the same notes were shortened again. this seems really strange.

EDIT 2: Actually, on one track which I am using as a test, I can fix the note length but after I close the midi editor window when I re-open it the notes are shortened again. I have not noticed this with every track but maybe it is happening - too many variables for me at this point. I am going to try installing a portable version of Reaper to see if it does the same thing.

EDIT3: Nope. Portable version of Reaper does the same thing. At least as far as this one item is concernced, it is repeatable - it opens with a couple of notes shortened, I fix them, close the window, re-open it to see them shortened again. Bad.

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 10-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
tompad

+1 here!
tompad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Tyrannocaster

I have an old Mac in addition to my Reaper PC and I loaded the file into it. (Reaper 3.74, PPC G4.) The notes come up shortened but now when I fix them they stay fixed. This is either an issue with Reaper for Windows or for my system itself.

EDIT: I saved the Mac file and moved it over into the PC. Now, when I load the file there it loads without the shortened notes.

EDIT: Man, I'm just burnin' up the internet with Reaper stuff, LOL. It seems that if I fix the note's length in the event list editor rather than the piano roll it has more liklihood of staying fixed. I'm hoping that I can at least limp through my project by fixing them this way.

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 10-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
hopi

I am on XP SP2 32 bit reaper... running the latest pre release version... as portable installs [always] and have never seen that happen here...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
tompad

I am on XP SP2 32 bit reaper 4.261 and have the same problem,
however I am not sure if they revert back to short, after trimmed them right.
tompad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
xphen0m

I'm having a similar problem for quite a while, and even made a thread about it a few months ago. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and REAPER 4.261.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
hopi

OK so seems like some have and others don't have this problem

since I don't I can't see it happen

maybe a LICECap gif video that shows the problem would be good?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

What would be ideal is a recipe for how to reproduce the problem. The most likely cause is some sort of edit that causes the note-off for a given pitch to move past the note-on for the next note of the same pitch, but if we can get a way to reproduce it, we should be able to figure it out and fix it.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What would be ideal is a recipe for how to reproduce the problem. The most likely cause is some sort of edit that causes the note-off for a given pitch to move past the note-on for the next note of the same pitch, but if we can get a way to reproduce it, we should be able to figure it out and fix it.
I'm not so sure, since this often happens on drum parts which are of short duration notes. Sometimes they are full beat lengths but mostly they aren't, at least the ones I am working with. In any case, the "feature" appears before I get a chance to do any editing, ie, when I first open the sequence or after I import a drum beat. When it happens on keyboard parts that I played then your idea makes sense because I'm pretty sloppy, LOL.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
schwa
Administrator

If this is happening on live-played drum parts (recorded with v-drums, MPC, etc) then a possible cause would be note-on and note-off messages being reversed within the same buffer block.

If you have a project in the state that shows these super-short notes, could you possibly send it to us (you can crop out everything but the MIDI item that has the short notes)? support at cockos.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If this is happening on live-played drum parts (recorded with v-drums, MPC, etc) then a possible cause would be note-on and note-off messages being reversed within the same buffer block.

If you have a project in the state that shows these super-short notes, could you possibly send it to us (you can crop out everything but the MIDI item that has the short notes)? support at cockos.
Sure. I'll see if I can't find an older version of the one I was always fixing yesterday and check to see if it does it too. Where do I send it?

EDIT: I got one for you. After a few plays the drum track (which is just a two bar loop) acquired three zero length notes. Since it's a loop, those notes are aurally missing from the whole thing. I loaded the file into my old Mac with the old Reaper 3.7x and the notes do show up as truncated, so I'm not making this up.

If I understand how the attachment process works...I have attached the .rpp file.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp ShortenedNotes2.RPP (25.4 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 10-26-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
Where do I send it?
support@cockos.com
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Tyrannocaster

Also emailed it to you guys at that address.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
richie43

I just loaded this and tried it out with a different Kontact percussion sound(I don't have the one you used) and it plays fine. In fact, I checked it in the midi editor (see attachment) and I don't see anything there that I expected after you described your issue. What am I missing?

Last edited by richie43; 03-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I just loaded this and tried it out with a different Kontact percussion sound(I don't have the one you used) and it plays fine. In fact, I checked it in the midi editor (see attachment) and I don't see anything there that I expected after you described your issue. What am I missing?
You are missing the zero length notes, which are sitting there - you just don't recognize them. See those three notes that appear to have no rectangular bar behind the names? Go into the event list editor and look at them; you'll see the length is zero. That's why they appear the way they do in the piano roll; I spot these things immediately now, but at first I didn't see them either. There are supposed to be notes behind those three note names that have none. Since they are being seen by the sequencer to exist their names show up, but since they are seen as having no length the sequencer doesn't give them any note bar graphic.

EDIT: but the good news is that this shows up on other people's systems and not just mine.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
gofer
-blänk-

You say you import these files, do the problem files have something in common as far as their creation is concerned? Where they recorded in another daw or imported from a library? If you import a file twice, will it have the same issues at the same notes?

If the item in your example project stems from an imported file, could you upload the original file (not imported)? Or another MIDI file that you know is prone to show the issue?

Could there be a rounding problem when a Note-Off is too close to the next Note-On on the same pitch, so that Reaper can falsely interpret them in the wrong order or something? I haven't seen that yet.

Last edited by gofer; 10-27-2012 at 03:38 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #17
Tyrannocaster

It happens on all files. The ones I referred to as being "imported" were simply dragged from the Addictive Drums plugin and I don't think there's anything odd about them. That's what the little one in my example file was. But yesterday I had it happen on a choral passage I was working on and I had played that myself so it's not as simple as finding a guilty source, I think.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
gofer
-blänk-

Dang. Then I guess I'm out of wits. My thinking was not that the files were somehow guilty in that they have some fault, but rather that they have some scenario which triggers Reaper to interpret them wrong.
I'd still like to know what happens when you drag the same AD file in. If it triggers the same issue then we could probably learn something from looking at it.
Could you maybe tell us the name of the drumgroove in the example project? If it's from AD's stock MIDI library someone could try and load the same one.

As long as the issue isn't reproducible, the chance to have it fixed is very small, so any information you can give might help.

Last edited by gofer; 10-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
richie43

I use AD exclusively for my drum parts, and after seeing his midi clip which does indeed have those odd notes, I looked through a bunch of my own AD midi parts, and I am not seeing anything like this. Nor did I on any of my orchestra/choral/piano/synth etc parts. Very weird indeed. I can only assume that this is due to something in your prefs maybe.....?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
DarkStar

I'd agree with gofer.

The posted project opens with the 3 short notes here too.

If we could see the MIDI file before it is brought into Reaper then there would be more chance of tracking down the problem.

But, I may have sussed it:
-- the Note Offs in the clip are sometimes represented by real Note Off messages and sometimes by Note On message with a (velocity) value of 0.
-- in some cases, a Note On (value 0) and a Note On for the same note occur at the same (tick) position
-- in those cases Reaper gets tripped up and corrupts the Note Off for that note.

Have a look at this:

Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/FboiI.png

-- the first event listing shows the MIDI messages for the (unlooped) clip
-- the coinciding message pairs are boxed
-- the second event listing shows the same clip after I had saved the project and re-opened it - all the Notes Offs are "real" Note Offs.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Tyrannocaster

Sorry, I can't give you the name of the groove from Addictive Drums. I'm just learning how to use it and at first I didn't realize that when you drop a midi file into Reaper it doesn't come with the name of the groove; you have to add that manually for most of them. Some of them seem to import with names but I know that one didn't, and in fact I already spent some time trying to find it again. You know how hard that is when you found it by accident the first time? :-)

DarkStar, if you are right then there isn't anything I can change on my end (except a different version of Reaper, I mean), is that right?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
richie43

Quote:
Sorry, I can't give you the name of the groove from Addictive Drums. I'm just learning how to use it and at first I didn't realize that when you drop a midi file into Reaper it doesn't come with the name of the groove; you have to add that manually for most of them. Some of them seem to import with names but I know that one didn't, and in fact I already spent some time trying to find it again. You know how hard that is when you found it by accident the first time? :-)

DarkStar, if you are right then there isn't anything I can change on my end (except a different version of Reaper, I mean), is that right?
Weird. All of my AD clips have names. Maybe you just need to zoom in more. But I doubt that this is an AD issue.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
DarkStar

Quote:
Not in Reaper. Try various grooves from AD until you can recreate the problem, then post that MIDI file (you can drag/export from AD to disk, I hope) and the saved Reaper project here as an attachment.

In your first post you say that you worked on the track. Could that be why there is a mix of Note Off types in the clip?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
Tyrannocaster

The clips in Addictive drums all have names - but most of them don't show their name once you drop them into Reaper. Instead it says something like "Drop from AD". (Sorry, not at that computer right now.) I also have some midi drum parts from groove Monkee and those do show up with names. I believe EZ drummer's beats names show up, too.

When I used the phrase "worked on" all I meant was that I opened the file. From what I can tell, all I have to do to get this behavior is to load the file. I believe it happens BEFORE I actually open the item in the midi editor simply because I was first alerted to this when I heard missing notes; I then opened the item to see what was going on and voilā - zero length on some. I noticed as I fixed them that they would often come back after I closed the editor and then reopened it. I already posted a Reaper file with the problem so I don't see what adding another would do. I can't post many of the actual .rpp files anyway because they are much bigger than the attachment limit the forum imposes.

I have seen the behavior on treacks other than drum tracks; for example, it popped up on a choral part I did that didn't have any notes with ends exactly adjacent to the next; sometimes they slopped over but usually there was considerable space between the notes. Yet some of them went "zero" on me anyway.

I guess I'm just lucky; must be something on my end.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
I already posted a Reaper file with the problem so I don't see what adding another would do.
What we have now is a file showing a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. That there is an original file is a chance to compare and maybe get a hint about the cause of the problem and maybe even with a way for the devs to reproduce - which is what we need to get it fixed. As you don't know the name of the original file and you say it happens with all files you tried it's pretty much the obvious next step to start over with a new example that refers to a known original MIDI file.

Other potentially useful info would include:
How was your problem chordal file created (you played it, but with what kind of device and using which recording mode?) and what kind of edits (if at all) did it go through before it got borked? Did all of the borked notes "go zero on you" at the same moment? Are there tempo/timesig changes in that project?

Without some more info to chew on - of any kind - we might as well give up the hunt right here.

Last edited by gofer; 10-28-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
DarkStar

Quote:
I already posted a Reaper file with the problem so I don't see what adding another would do. I can't post many of the actual .rpp files anyway because they are much bigger than the attachment limit the forum imposes.
I suggested posting the MIDI file itself (dragged /saved out of AD, to disk) AND the Reaper project file once you had loaded the MIDI file. If not from AD, where is the original MIDI clip (pre-Reaper) coming from?

As for the Reaper project size - delete the other tracks and remove the plugin(s) from the track, save it with a NEW name and it should be small enough to attach.

Last edited by DarkStar; 06-10-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: letter-swapping tpo
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #27
xpander

Quote:
At least as far as this one item is concernced, it is repeatable - it opens with a couple of notes shortened, I fix them, close the window, re-open it to see them shortened again. Bad.
I can see the zero length notes of your example project here too, but this detail puzzles me. Zooming close enough in the piano roll, I can drag the zero notes out to any length I want to and they will stay like that no matter how many times I close and open the MIDI editor. But yours keep resetting back?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #28
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I can see the zero length notes of your example project here too, but this detail puzzles me. Zooming close enough in the piano roll, I can drag the zero notes out to any length I want to and they will stay like that no matter how many times I close and open the MIDI editor. But yours keep resetting back?
Yes, exactly. It doesn't do that with the same project file on my Mac, just on my PC with Reaper 4.261. However, as I said, a workaround appears to be going in via the events list editor and manually setting the note length; then when I reopen the window the note is still there. But it's still irritating because you don't always hear the missing notes and they come back to haunt you later.

I emailed tech support abut this and they had an interesting answer:

"The project timebase is set to "time" and you probably changed the project tempo at some point after creating the track, shifting the relative position of the MIDI events on the grid (since items keep their original time intact when timebase is set to "time"). For most music tracking, MIDI etc. you should set the timebase to "beats (position, length, rate)".

That might well be the case with that project although I don't think it is with all of them. But I have never messed with the project timebase so I will start checking this from now on. The projects have all been done with the default settings and that must be "time".

Once again, I can't attach the original drum midi file because I don't know the name of the groove. To verify this, I have Reaper running right now and I loaded Addictive Drums 1.53. I selected the groove "060 Ballad 05" and dropped it onto the drum track, where it appears only as "- ADD Drop.mid". That's why I don't know what the original part was - I didn't kow AD behaves this way when I created the project (I had just gotten it) and I neglected to rename the midi file the name of the groove (which I don't think you should have to do - EZ Drummer's midi files keep their names when you drop them onto a track). I wish I DID know, because I'd like to find some variations but there are so many I get lost when I try to audition them to find the right one.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
FnA

Default used to be time (I don't know for how long). In 4.25 it was changed to Beats (position, length, rate).
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Default used to be time (I don't know for how long). In 4.25 it was changed to Beats (position, length, rate).
Well, that would explain why I have a setting like that - I had a prefab track that I made on the old Reaper called "New" that I used for anything made from scratch and I've still been using that for new projects.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
KevinW

Quote:
The clips in Addictive drums all have names - but most of them don't show their name once you drop them into Reaper. Instead it says something like "Drop from AD". (Sorry, not at that computer right now.) I also have some midi drum parts from groove Monkee and those do show up with names. I believe EZ drummer's beats names show up, too.

When I used the phrase "worked on" all I meant was that I opened the file. From what I can tell, all I have to do to get this behavior is to load the file. I believe it happens BEFORE I actually open the item in the midi editor simply because I was first alerted to this when I heard missing notes; I then opened the item to see what was going on and voilā - zero length on some. I noticed as I fixed them that they would often come back after I closed the editor and then reopened it. I already posted a Reaper file with the problem so I don't see what adding another would do. I can't post many of the actual .rpp files anyway because they are much bigger than the attachment limit the forum imposes.

I have seen the behavior on treacks other than drum tracks; for example, it popped up on a choral part I did that didn't have any notes with ends exactly adjacent to the next; sometimes they slopped over but usually there was considerable space between the notes. Yet some of them went "zero" on me anyway.

I guess I'm just lucky; must be something on my end.
I can't help much, but the issue with the midi loop name not showing was addressed a while ago.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87404
I wonder why you still have the problem.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
richie43

I just downloaded the AD clip from that older thread and dropped it into Reaper. This was an empty project with nothing loaded, not even AD. If you look at my attachment, you will see that the same file that someone uploaded to demonstrate this problem indeed has the name of the file included in my system. This leads me to believe that this is not an issue with reaper necessarily but instead with the OP's system specifically. Do you have the most recent update for AD?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
hopi

I can't say what is causing it to happen...

I can suggest a fast way to deal with it:

for this I took your project and got rid of kontakt vsti, and kept only the first [left most] midi file... ditched the envelope also

ok then open the midi file in the midi ed. and go to List view

easy to see the 0.00 length notes there eh?

use cntrl clk to select all the zero length notes
change back to the piano roll view
then use the quantize dialog for selected notes, with a manual settings.. I set them to 1/16 and to not move left or right and to grow... grid and note lengths set to 1/16 but that's up to you... commit and OK...

the point as you already know is that ONLY in the List View will you really see and be able to select the zero length notes.

PS... it's a real shame that the filter will not let us enter decimal values for note length to match what is seen in the List View!

that would make finding and selecting all the 0 length notes MUCH the Freak easier...

DEV's that is a BIG hint for the future

Also... I thought we could do this but now I can't do it: Have the filter on and the List View on, and say show only all the D#4 notes, then select all and then change the length values for them all at once... another BIG HINT

Last edited by hopi; 10-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

I can't add much to what has already been observed.

The file you sent to support clearly shows zero-length MIDI notes, but as gofer said, this is the symptom of a problem, not the cause of the problem. What we need is a recipe to recreate the problem, or if the problem was caused by importing MIDI data, we need the original .mid file.

At this point it's not clear whether the problem is in the original MIDI file, or caused by the way REAPER imports the file, or caused by some REAPER edit after the MIDI is already in REAPER.

If I had to guess, I would guess the problem is at the import stage. Because, as DarkStar observed, the MIDI data contains note-on messages with velocity zero. That is valid MIDI, but REAPER will not create messages like that, indicating that the messages probably originated outside REAPER.

Simply put, the RPP you sent contains notes with a duration of 1 MIDI tick, but we don't yet know how those notes were created.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
fallforward

sorry to resurrect such an old thread but this was one of the only threads with some good dialog that I found about this issue.

I get this bug on the most up to date version of Reaper. I can't seem to recreate it nor do I have the time to try really try and do so. Can anyone point me in a better direction?

I have had to go and adjust the notes manually that seem to randomly turn into little micro notes. I've noticed when I copy and paste MIDI from one track to another this issues seems to crop up more often, but that is not always the case.

I play in most of the MIDI from my keyboard controller and edit it afterward (if that matters). My issue is not with AD as above.
fallforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #36
Rjm_musica

Same problem here.
Sometimes are zero length notes, sometimes some kind of long ghost note that disapear or turns into a zln. Very ugly problem.
It appears only when I import some kind of midi files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallforward View Post
sorry to resurrect such an old thread but this was one of the only threads with some good dialog that I found about this issue.

I get this bug on the most up to date version of Reaper. I can't seem to recreate it nor do I have the time to try really try and do so. Can anyone point me in a better direction?

I have had to go and adjust the notes manually that seem to randomly turn into little micro notes. I've noticed when I copy and paste MIDI from one track to another this issues seems to crop up more often, but that is not always the case.

I play in most of the MIDI from my keyboard controller and edit it afterward (if that matters). My issue is not with AD as above.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #37
tricky2k

This usually happens when the length of a note makes it to fall on top of the next, so that next note then almost disappears (0 length or so). Try to tick the option, in the MIDI editor, always correct overlapping notes or something like that.
tricky2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #38
Rjm_musica

Hi Tricky, itīs something similar, but itīs not the same.
With that option, those very long notes (maybe lots of measures long) transform into a zln leaving lots of measures empty(instead of continuing note length until next note).
I mean, most of the times is not a matter of overlapping. Zln appears with a lot of empty space after them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky2k View Post
This usually happens when the length of a note makes it to fall on top of the next, so that next note then almost disappears (0 length or so). Try to tick the option, in the MIDI editor, always correct overlapping notes or something like that.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #39
rubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjm_musica View Post
Hi Tricky, itīs something similar, but itīs not the same.
With that option, those very long notes (maybe lots of measures long) transform into a zln leaving lots of measures empty(instead of continuing note length until next note).
I mean, most of the times is not a matter of overlapping. Zln appears with a lot of empty space after them.
Hey, I've searched a bunch of places, and I'm having a similar problem. I built this track in FL studio mobile a while back, and now I'm bringing it into Reaper to play on EZ Keys, but the notes that sounded fine on a piano are getting chopped off in the new virtual instrument. No matter what I do, if I stretch them or whatever, they'll still get shortenned. I'm not sure what the ZLN thing you're referring to is, but the problem you're describing seems really similar to what I'm exeperiencing. Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix it?
Thanks in advance
rubble is offline   Reply With Quote