Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
egr
Human being with feelings

Default "Brick wall" or "Frozen" gate?

Not sure about the right terminology for this (hence no luck searching) -- I want a non-dynamic gate that simply cuts out all signal below a certain threshold even when the overall level goes up. As in: I want to always throw away everything up to "x decibles" ... does that make sense?
egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Lokasenna

As in, you might have a full mix, and you want the guitars muted as soon as the drop below the threshold without touching the drums or vocals?

That... can't be done, that I'm aware of.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
jayvo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr View Post
Not sure about the right terminology for this (hence no luck searching) -- I want a non-dynamic gate that simply cuts out all signal below a certain threshold even when the overall level goes up. As in: I want to always throw away everything up to "x decibles" ... does that make sense?
So you want a gate? That's what gates do.
jayvo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Sheppola

JS: Misc/noisegate

Comes free with Reaper.Search you VST list.

HTH
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Guncho

Reagate

Comes included with Reaper.
Guncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
egr

I realize my mistake now. I was trying to treat volume the same way as frequency and it don't work that way.

I'm helping a local church. They have wiring issues in their PA that causes hum and sometimes radio interference. We're using Reaper like an effects rack in real time. Noise removal tools introduce to much delay. Gates help but only when there's no one speaking (as I should have realized to start with). Filtering is probably the only option.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Lokasenna

Hum is usually at a very specific frequency or set of frequencies. Get an analyzer on there just to find out where it is, and then use a graphic or parametric EQ to notch out the culprits.

As for the radio interference... yeah, you're probably boned.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Schmidty

Or better yet, eliminate the hum.
If you are getting actual radio stations then it's a poorly shielded unbalanced cable (or a cable that should be balanced that isn't). If it's a 60 cycle hum (or 50 if you're in europe) then it's a grounding issue.
Either way, start unpluggin things until it goes away, and re-post whith the culprite and someone here will be able to help you get rid of the hum.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
egr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Or better yet, eliminate the hum.
If you are getting actual radio stations then it's a poorly shielded unbalanced cable (or a cable that should be balanced that isn't). If it's a 60 cycle hum (or 50 if you're in europe) then it's a grounding issue.
Either way, start unpluggin things until it goes away, and re-post whith the culprite and someone here will be able to help you get rid of the hum.
We know that the wiring from the pulpit area back to the sound board is very poorly shielded. The quote to rewire the place was more than they can spend at the moment.

The radio interference seems to be connected to one or two particular mics (their favorites, of course) so I believe we can work around it.

I'll be posting more questions as we run into more problems, I'm sure!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Sheppola

Most hum problems in a building like a Church will be a grounding/earthing issue especially if it's an older building and it may be better to tackle the source.

I don't know wiring regulations in the US but on the UK there are two main grounding systems.

1:In modern buildings the ground is supplied by the electrical provider via the closest main supply point/sub-station.

2:Older buildings and agricultural buildings tend to have the old style,"Manual" ground point which is usually a thick solid brass,alloy or steel rod around 6 foot long and above 2" in diameter driven into the earth and then the grounds taken to it by the correct thickness insulated wire.

I'm sure there must be some one in at the church,in the congregation that has this electrical knowledge and if not I'm sure you can some information on-line however any changes to a mains electrical system should be done by a qualified or competent electrician/person or at least the work checked by one.
It should not be expensive to do the work and then get it checked.

Note:In my much younger days I played a club that had bad electrics/grounding and was blown to the back of the stage from a electric belt through the Microphone.This was before the days of RCDs but luckily I had a fused guitar lead that I'm absolutely certain saved my life although it didn't stop me getting superficial burnt fingers and lips :O
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote