Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
ovitus
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI devices in Reaper for Tidalcycles

I'm trying to create a MIDI input device in Reaper so I can send MIDI to it from SuperCollider with the SuperDirt quark using Tidalcycles. Before I was able to do this in Renoise by simply creating a MIDI In device and evaluating this line in SuperCollider:

MIDIClient.init

Doing that would initialize MIDI in SuperDirt and I'd see a string in the post window with the available Midi In device from Renoise, which I could then copy into the next line to evaluate and initialize my device into the midiOut object:

~midiOut = MIDIOut.newByName("Renoise MIDI Input", "Renoise MIDI In Port A")

Trouble is, I've changed my DAW to Reaper for VST3 support. Now I'm having trouble setting up MIDI. I enabled 'Midi Input 1' device, but it doesn't show up in SuperCollider as before when calling 'MIDIClient.init'

I do see 'Midi Input 1' in Jack's audio connection graph, but it's red and I can't make any connection to it.
ovitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
ovitus

It appears Reaper uses Jack MIDI which isn't compatible with SuperCollider looking for ALSA MIDI. So I'm trying to get a2jmidi_bridge working and I can connect the 'capture' side of that to 'MIDI Input 1' on REAPER.

I now see it in SuperCollider:
MIDI Destinations:
MIDIEndPoint("a2j_bridge", "playback")

But when evaluating:
~midiOut = MIDIOut.newByName("a2j_bridge", "playback");

and trying to send a sequence from TidalCycles, I don't see or hear anything in Reaper.. What am I missing?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
ovitus

Nevermind, I got it working by restarting SuperCollider and re-evaluating. I think the ~midiOut variable wasn't updating.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
kytdkut

Thanks for sharing how you solved your problem

I'm just about to start trying to connect transport start/stop in REAPER with a SC pattern .play and .stop methods. I guess I'm starting with OSC first, don't know if MIDI is precise enough to guarantee identical-esque results between plays (I need to export the audio).

Do you use this type of setup? Or do you just livecode?

Cheers!
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote