Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Realtek ASIO Drivers

where can I get these and how to I install them? Googles results are seriously obfuscated right now
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

The driver package for the Realtek ALC892 device on my mainboard has an "ASIO" folder in it. (It's an MSI brand mainboard, and I downloaded the driver pacakge from the MSI site.) That folder contains the drivers and an installer for them.

If you have a choice to download an EXE or ZIP package, choose the ZIP package and extract it. Look for an ASIO folder inside. (You might also be able to use 7zip etc. to open an EXE archive but it might not work.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I was able to download one from a dell, my particular drivers for my laptop dont seem to have it, but I got the dell one to run, the measured latency numbers are the lowest on the chart, just like yours!

I'm not sure if this makes it any easier for the live reaper rack project, since it'll need a DI in that case, but at least it means anyone can afford it !

I'll see if theres some driver download that is really meant for my particular board

The dell one shows up in oblique but not reaper
Old 04-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Do you know any way in device manager where I can find out exactly which realtec HDA I have so I can look for drivers that may have asio?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
foxAsteria

realtek is providing this for their older chipsets or just new ones?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I want to tell myself to stop chasing this path, since it would need a DI and is probably noisy and stuff, but damn....It really ould make this project open to everyone, I mean you cant even bu ya computer without these things on it...

But for now I'll go back to my USB interfaces....just infuriating that no matter how much you spend on one, the performance of this piece of crap onboard will smoke it on latency
Old 04-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

trying this one right now

https://www.techspot.com/drivers/dow...2a549f7&file=1
Old 04-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
ivansc

Is that reported by reaper latency or measured by pipe latency?

I am enough of a cynic that I suspect the former is the case & it is misleading.
On the other hand I would love to be proved wrong - would love to see it surpass wasapi on my laptop!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

thats the oblique measurments I did! Crazy

How do you do the WASAPI thing?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Older versions of the 64-bit ASIO driver for ALC892 had higher latency but erroneously reported lower to the DAW (confirmed by doing loopback test and comparing original versus recorded files when offset/compensation was removed). 32-bit version (works in 32-bit Reaper) however was working properly, confirmed with that same kind of test and also in the utility you linked to (which only uses 32-bit ASIO drivers, as it turns out). WASAPI worked just as well for 32-bit and 64-bit Reaper, about the same latency as the ASIO drivers and just as stable.

I just looked up my mainboard specs on the MSI site (my mainboard manufacturer) to know what device is on it. I guess it might be listed in the BIOS as well, depending on the BIOS.

I don't use the Realtek anymore (it's disabled in the BIOS) since I got a Steinberg MR816X. But yeah it's pretty stable at really low latency. Being an onboard device with good drivers, I understand how that's easily achieved.

Realtek has ASIO drivers for ALC892 and presumably for anything else made since then. I don't know about prior devices.

As for "how to use WASAPI", just select it in Reaper. Choose that instead of ASIO.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

For some reason, I just can't get the asio drivers from any of these to install. Eventually I'll revisit this, but I can already imagine I'm going to get far less manufacturer involvement in this project if I show that peoples' onboard interfaces work so well
Old 04-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
JamesPeters

If I recall correctly this is the way to install the Realtek ASIO drivers (if they don't get installed automatically, which may happen depending on the installer package):

-unzip the files.
-put the ASIO folder (and all the files within it) somewhere on your HDD that makes sense. You'll be leaving it in that location.
-run the installer in that folder. It'll register the DLLs in that directory.

Then start Reaper and see if those drivers show up.

Anyway, you can use WASAPI. It's the same performance.