Old 05-16-2022, 03:14 AM   #1
Shufflehound
Human being with feelings

Default Ripple edit and tempo map oddness

Hey, all! I just want to be certain I'm not missing something here. Usually "ripple edit all tracks" will do just that, but with this project with lots of time signature/tempo changes, its behaviour's gone funny.

I would "Insert empty space in selection" except this is a soundtrack to a video, and constantly having to fix the gaps put in the video (and empty items detailing scene descriptions etc.) is tedious. The only locked item is the video, and that doesn't affect the ripple edit's strange behaviour if I unlock it.

This happens all over the project too. Wherever I ripple edit move a stem, it'll move some of the neighbouring items, but not ones neighbouring those. Is this a bug, or have I changed a setting without realising it?

'Allow partial measure before this marker' has been a bit odd, which is why there's weird 1/8 time signatures for a single bar etc. There are also a couple tracks/items that override the 'Project timebase'. Could either of those be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shufflehound; 05-16-2022 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typos
Shufflehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufflehound View Post
There are also a couple tracks/items that override the 'Project timebase'. Could either of those be the problem?
Yea I'd say that's your problem. Timebase dictates how items respond to tempo changes. I don't think it should override ripple, so it could be a bug.

As a workaround you could try making an action to select all items at the cursor and then adds all the items to the right the selection.

Maybe try that "add edge points" option too.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #3
Shufflehound

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
As a workaround you could try making an action to select all items at the cursor and then adds all the items to the right the selection.
Hi, thanks. I tried setting all the items to the default timebase, and 'Add edge points'. Also tried unfreezing any frozen tracks (since they're usually locked in place) but the ripple edit's still misbehaving despite all this.

I found an action to select all items in time selection, which is helpful. But your idea's better. How would I make a custom action/macro to select everything after the cursor? That sounds like the next best thing to ripple editing!

(Also I did the work-around using 'Insert empty space in selection' so I'm not in a panic to finish something, but it's good to know a quicker way for future reference)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufflehound View Post
I found an action to select all items in time selection, which is helpful. But your idea's better. How would I make a custom action/macro to select everything after the cursor? That sounds like the next best thing to ripple editing!
If you have sws or reapack installed just search actions list for "add right"

Also, do you have both the timebase settings set to beats in project settings?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #5
Shufflehound

Quote:
If you have sws or reapack installed just search actions list for "add right"
Oh nice find, but unfortunately it seems to work only for the track I selected. Even with Ripple Edit turned on with all those items selected, it still won't move all the items(even most the ones selected via the SWS action didn't move either). And it's not that they're locked; I can still move what I manually select (including multiple with the box select), but ripple edit and even SWS's "Add items to right" doesn't work. Hmm.

Quote:
Also, do you have both the timebase settings set to beats in project settings?
I do.

When I have the time I'll just have to try and recreate this bug systematically, and then retrace my steps.