Old 02-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #1
BirdBird
Human being with feelings

Default Track Versions (GUI update)

Track Versions

Track Versions is a script that lets you create different versions of tracks and manage them.
The versions are stored in tracks themselves, this lets you preserve versions when you save tracks as track templates.

INSTALLATION
  • Install ReaPack
  • Install ReaImGui through ReaPack.
  • Install js_ReaScriptAPI through ReaPack if you wish to use the non GUI version.
  • Add my repository to your ReaPack repositories.
    Code:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Bird-Bird/ReaScript_Testing/main/index.xml
  • Install Track Versions.
  • Run BirdBird_Track Versions (GUI).lua.

FEATURES
Versions

You can add versions by clicking the add button on the script GUI.
This will create a copy of the selected version as the new version by default. However you can ctrl/cmd click the button to create an empty version instead.
You can remove the selected version by hitting the remove button on the GUI.
You can manage versions for multiple tracks at the same time.
Hitting the collapse button will remove all versions on the track except the selected one. This is useful to cleanup versions that you don't need anymore.

FX Chain Capture

Enabling the FX button will let you load and save the FX chain when changing versions. This setting is handled on a per track basis, this means that seperate tracks can have different FX on/off states.

Partial/Additive Loading

You can shift-click versions to do partial/additive loading. This will append the items from the selected version into the current version.
If there is a razor edit, the items will be inserted within the razor edit boundaries instead. This is useful for auditioning specific regions from different versions.

There are two extra scripts to cycle versions without a GUI.
  • BirdBird_Track Versions - Cycle to next version.lua
  • BirdBird_Track Versions - Cycle to previous version.lua

User Settings

User settings and docking can be accesed by right clicking the close button.

The old version of the script that shows a dropdown at the mouse is still available in the same package as BirdBird_Track Versions.lua

That is all for the time being

Extra Notes
* One caveat is that versions saved with the old version of the script are unfortunately incompatible with the current version of the script. You can install the version 0.99.6.1 from ReaPack if you need to go back.
* Toggling the FX on/off switch is not allowed when multiple tracks are selected. In this mode tracks will use their existing FX toggle state when switching versions.
* Pooled MIDI items are not supported by the script at the moment.
* Thanks to daniellumertz for helping out with chunk parsing and cfillion for ReaImGui.

_

Last edited by BirdBird; 04-10-2022 at 01:25 PM.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #2
vitalker

Haha, almost simultaneously: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=263660
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
amagalma

Just had a little play with it. Well done!

I like the way it works and that is not a deferred script. A mix of your version and Sexan's would be the best IMO.

A few observations:
- would love to have the ability to create/delete/duplicate/clear/choose/show all versions for all selected tracks
- a show all track versions, like in Sexan's, would be very nice.. But until the Fixed Item Lanes feature is official, I suggest you don't work on this yet.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:49 AM   #4
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Just had a little play with it. Well done!
- would love to have the ability to create/delete/duplicate/clear/choose/show all versions for all selected tracks
- a show all track versions, like in Sexan's, would be very nice.. But until the Fixed Item Lanes feature is official, I suggest you don't work on this yet.
Supporting multiple selected tracks would be trivial to implement but there is a design challenge I am not sure how to handle.
In the case that the user opens up the menu, and multiple tracks are selected with different number of versions (ie. first track has 2 versions, second track has 4 etc.), what should be displayed under versions?
The no-brainer solution is to display the minimum number of versions all the selected tracks have in common, however the number won't necessarily match what the user had in their workspace (ie. v2 for all tracks isn't necessarily what the user wants, maybe they want to flick between a different combination)

For "show all versions" it should be easy enough to implement by creating child tracks instead of lanes for now
Old 03-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #5
amagalma

Just a simple approach: load the same version number for all tracks, if available.
For example:
Track Guitar with 5 versions
Track Bass with 3 versions
Track Drums with 4 versions

If these three tracks are selected together then the number of versions that are available is the number of the track with the least versions. So you can either load version 1, or version 2, or version 3 for all these tracks.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
BirdBird

Pushed a new version that supports multiple tracks:

There are also 2 new included scripts that let you cycle versions without using the dropdown:
  • BirdBird_Track Versions - Cycle to next version.lua
  • BirdBird_Track Versions - Cycle to previous version.lua

-
Old 03-03-2022, 04:11 AM   #7
amagalma

Great additions BirdBird! Well done!

An action to delete only the currently selected version would be nice.
Also I think there should be a confirmation dialog for any delete action, as it is something that can not be undone! Once you delete a version nothing brings it back.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #8
BirdBird

Thanks amagalma!
Just pushed a new version, with a delete version action and a message box to confirm both delete actions.

There are also two new features, additive and partial loading:
Holding ctrl/cmd while selecting new versions will append the items on the selected version into the current version: (additive load)

If there are any razor edits when executing an additive load then the items from the selected version will be loaded into the razor edits: (partial load)

Multiple razor edits per track is not supported at the moment but I will probably support it down the line.

Other than that I have removed support for pooled MIDI items from the script for the time being, it was broken in certain cases. If we ever get API to deal with pooled items properly (instead of chunk parsing) I will implement it correctly in the future.

-

Last edited by BirdBird; 03-03-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
amagalma

Great additions!! Haven't tested methodically, but everything seems to work great!

A small nitpick, which is invisible to the user: you don't have to run any code and load any version chunk if the requested version is the same with the currently loaded.

Regarding pooled midi items: what troubles you? Pooled MIDI items have three differences AFAIK from normal ones:
1) they have a line above the Take GUID in their chunk that denotes the poolcolor ("POOLCOLOR integer R" )
2) the source line reads: "<SOURCE MIDIPOOL" (instead of "<SOURCE MIDI")
3) they point to a pooled events group: "POOLEDEVTS guid"

Your script currently removes all midi items from any pooled events groups. What was the problem that made you do so?
Old 03-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #10
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Regarding pooled midi items: what troubles you? Pooled MIDI items have three differences AFAIK from normal ones:
1) they have a line above the Take GUID in their chunk that denotes the poolcolor ("POOLCOLOR integer R" )
2) the source line reads: "<SOURCE MIDIPOOL" (instead of "<SOURCE MIDI")
3) they point to a pooled events group: "POOLEDEVTS guid"

Your script currently removes all midi items from any pooled events groups. What was the problem that made you do so?
When duplicating tracks, REAPER takes care of generating new GUID/IGUID values for MIDI takes, however the GUID/IGUID for items and takes stored in versions (P_EXT) stay the same. This makes REAPER automatically pool MIDI items across tracks when loading different versions, thus also letting you accidentally modify versions stored in tracks as REAPER realizes they are pooled and throws data in them away. Here is an example:

I am not sure if there is a way around this without also shipping a custom "Duplicate Tracks" script or checking across all tracks with versions and comparing them for GUID/IGUID collisions and other data that determines pooling behaviour, which would be really slow.
The same issue is also present when doing additive load from different versions unless I automatically generate new matching GUIDs, and other neccesary data for pooling them, which isn't impossible, but very annoying to implement at the moment as there are no API commands for modifying pools.
Removing items from pools tries to remedy these somewhat. (But still presents issues in certain cases)

Last edited by BirdBird; 03-03-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
amagalma

I see what you mean.. A custom "duplicate tracks" script seems to me like the only solution.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #12
Swi

Is there a way to add a suffix to the track name "V1" or "V2" for example? Or some indicator that there are other versions behind what we see?

I imagine myself in the future (possibly even tomorrow with my short-term memory issues...) opening up old sessions looking for another take and not even knowing that there are more tracks saved as other versions?
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #13
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swi View Post
Is there a way to add a suffix to the track name "V1" or "V2" for example? Or some indicator that there are other versions behind what we see?

I imagine myself in the future (possibly even tomorrow with my short-term memory issues...) opening up old sessions looking for another take and not even knowing that there are more tracks saved as other versions?
I just pushed a new version to ReaPack that supports this as a track name prefix. The behaviour is disabled by default however you can enable it through the new "Track Versions Settings" script that ships with the new version, it does require ReaImGui to work so make sure you install that through ReaPack first. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:03 AM   #14
alphoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
When duplicating tracks, REAPER takes care of generating new GUID/IGUID values for MIDI takes, however the GUID/IGUID for items and takes stored in versions (P_EXT) stay the same. This makes REAPER automatically pool MIDI items across tracks when loading different versions, thus also letting you accidentally modify versions stored in tracks as REAPER realizes they are pooled and throws data in them away. Here is an example:

I am not sure if there is a way around this without also shipping a custom "Duplicate Tracks" script or checking across all tracks with versions and comparing them for GUID/IGUID collisions and other data that determines pooling behaviour, which would be really slow.
The same issue is also present when doing additive load from different versions unless I automatically generate new matching GUIDs, and other neccesary data for pooling them, which isn't impossible, but very annoying to implement at the moment as there are no API commands for modifying pools.
Removing items from pools tries to remedy these somewhat. (But still presents issues in certain cases)
Very good script. I wonder if there will be comp facility?
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #15
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Very good script. I wonder if there will be comp facility?
Thanks, Sexan's Virtual Tracks supports comping if you are looking for a more full fledged script.

If I implement comping it will probably be in the future when its natively supported in some manner (besides the take system), and I would just have an action in here to prepare versions for however it is handled natively.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #16
BirdBird

I have just pushed a new version with a GUI and updated the main post to reflect the changes and new features
Old 04-13-2022, 04:32 AM   #17
Vagelis

Awesome, would it be possible to have another version for envelopes and automation items?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #18
hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Awesome, would it be possible to have another version for envelopes and automation items?
+1
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #19
BirdBird

Ticking the FX box will also include FX envelopes in versions, however I don't know when I will get around to adding seperate versions for envelopes yet.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:38 AM   #20
IrishRover79

Hi BirdBird, would it be possible to add the ability to add notes or short descriptions to the different versions?

Also, do you accept donations? Your scripts are awesome!
IrishRover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:26 AM   #21
lachinhan

If we can drag different versions to the track, that would be great.
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #22
WaterWaterTasmania

Quote:
I have just pushed a new version with a GUI and updated the main post to reflect the changes and new features
I LOVE Track Versions. It's working beautifully for me. Thank you for your work on it. Can I ask - is it possible for me to get it into the dock somehow so it's always visible?
WaterWaterTasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #23
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWaterTasmania View Post
I LOVE Track Versions. It's working beautifully for me. Thank you for your work on it. Can I ask - is it possible for me to get it into the dock somehow so it's always visible?
Thanks, you can right click the close button to access user settings and docking.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:46 PM   #24
WaterWaterTasmania

Quote:
Thanks, you can right click the close button to access user settings and docking.
Perfect! Thank you.
WaterWaterTasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #25
blumpy

Default ReaScript Error

Great script however I end up with an error as soon as I select a track:

... Testing\Track Versions\track_versions_libraries/gui.lua:63: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ImGui_KeyModFlags_Ctrl')

Console output:
ImGui assertion failed: (g.CurrentWindowStack.Size == 1) && "Mismatched Begin/BeginChild vs End/EndChild calls: did you forget to call End/EndChild?"
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #26
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Great script however I end up with an error as soon as I select a track:

... Testing\Track Versions\track_versions_libraries/gui.lua:63: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ImGui_KeyModFlags_Ctrl')

Console output:
ImGui assertion failed: (g.CurrentWindowStack.Size == 1) && "Mismatched Begin/BeginChild vs End/EndChild calls: did you forget to call End/EndChild?"
Thanks, should be fixed in the newest version.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #27
McSound

Hi. I just have faced to this issue also. What is that? A problem on ReaImGUI's side? I have the same bug in my ReaImGUI interface as well.
McSound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #28
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSound View Post
Hi. I just have faced to this issue also. What is that? A problem on ReaImGUI's side? I have the same bug in my ReaImGUI interface as well.
Is it still broken in Track Versions after updating to the latest version, or are you experiencing the issue on an unrelated script? KeyModFlags got renamed to ModFlags with 0.7 version of ReaImGui, cfillion has information on it and how to shield scripts from breaking changes here.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #29
McSound

No, I got the issue in my script only. Thanks a lot, BirdBird, didn't know about renaming, you saved my time and nerves)
McSound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #30
ferropop

BirdBird you're doing such a service with this script, thank you.

If this seems interesting/worthwhile -- if no tracks are selected (or as a global but collapsable section), possible to show a list of tracks in the project that Have versions on them? And if you select it from this list, it selects that track in TCP/MCP and maybe brings up the list of versions for that track? Or the versions are a (collapsable) tab in this Master list? etc, you get what I mean?

It would sort of "centralize" the script to the project as a whole, rather than having it sort of exist in the background, undetected months or even days later. It's the same thing with Parameter Modulation for example -- you can set up all this complex stuff and literally have No clue it's happening on the track unless you happen to have the plugin open and physically see knobs twirling themselves.

Just a thought!
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #31
odedd

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the great script!
I'm getting the following error when running the settings script:
Quote:
...ting/Track Versions/BirdBird_Track Versions Settings.lua:32: ImGui_PushFont: ImGui assertion failed: (0) && "Could not load font file!"
Changing the font in the script from 'courier-new' to 'courier' solved it for me.
I'm running macOS 12.5.1 if it helps.

Regardless of that, a small feature request if possible - it would be great if there was a way to name versions. An example use case -
- v1-raw take
- v2-edited
- v3-consolidated

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #32
benmiller

Hi, this looks promissing but i get this error with the gui script and similar one with the settings script:

gui.lua:11: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ImGui_AttachFont')

any idea how to fix this? would love to try the scripts.

was also wondering, how does this work in conjunction with the the track edit groups? do these versioning actions apply to all tracks whitch are in the same edit group? that would be really great.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:01 PM   #33
benmiller

so i reverted to reaimgui v 0.7 instead of the latest version and now these scripts work.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #34
benmiller

Just tested a bit, very nice script, thank you for sharing!

the partial recall to a razor edit area is a brilliant idea!

features i miss to be able to fully use this:

- slave the version actions to the track edit groups. so that adding/deleting/selecting versions on a track applies the same to all the grouped tracks, this would avoid to have to manually select a bunc of tracks every time (for example versions of drum tracks).

- possibility to name the versions (name appends to version number)

- seperate actions for: create new version, create new empty version

- The Collapse is a pretty "dangerous" action, it could be nice to get asked for confirmation before all other version get deleted

an other small suggestion, in the gui, i expected the Add button to add an empty version, i would suggest renaming it to Duplicate. It would also be nice to have a button for Add empty in the gui (you would have Add, Duplicate, Delete and Collapse)
Old 01-04-2023, 10:52 PM   #35
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
so i reverted to reaimgui v 0.7 instead of the latest version and now these scripts work.
Hi, is your script version up to date? (0.99.9.8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedd View Post
Hi!
First of all, thanks for the great script!
I'm getting the following error when running the settings script:
The seperate settings script is legacy and no longer required. (I will remove that)
The current way to access settings is by right clicking the close button on the GUI script, I will probably move that to a more sane location in the next update. (whenever that would be)
Old 01-06-2023, 02:51 AM   #36
benmiller

Quote:
Hi, is your script version up to date? (0.99.9.8)
yes, i have 0.99.9.8 installed
Old 01-08-2023, 03:16 PM   #37
benmiller

Hi Birdbird

I've added these features to your scripts:

- slave the version actions to the track edit groups. so that adding/deleting/selecting versions on a track applies the same to all the grouped tracks.

- seperate actions for: create new version, create new empty version

- on the gui added a "New" button which adds new empty version, renamed "Add" to "Dup" (as dupplicate), added a "?" button for the settings

are you interested in merging this into your version of the scripts? if so i can send you the scripts or try to fork and do a pull request on github.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:20 AM   #38
BirdBird

Quote:
gui.lua:11: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ImGui_AttachFont')
So far I have been unable to recreate this across two systems, with ReaImGui 0.82 and the latest version of the script.

Quote:
are you interested in merging this into your version of the scripts? if so i can send you the scripts or try to fork and do a pull request on github.
Either is fine, but I don't have the time to review/test/merge it at the moment.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:23 AM   #39
vitalker

Quote:
So far I have been unable to recreate this across two systems, with ReaImGui 0.82 and the latest version of the script.
In ReaImGui 0.8 AttachFont changed to Attach, but that doesn't matter if you have enabled backward compatibility in your script.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:39 PM   #40
benmiller

replacing ImGui_AttachFont with ImGui_Attach throws the same error:

gui.lua:11: attempt to call a nil value (field 'ImGui_Attach')

error appears with imgui v0.8 and v0.8.1 and no error with v0.7.2