Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
Dubnick
Human being with feelings

Default Please revamp/improve 'Send all keyboard input to plug-in" function.

I understand that flexibility and customization are key priorities in the Reaper universe, but I feel like there is at least one distinct area where nearly everyone would appreciate a more non-customizable and consistent approach:

"Send all keyboard input to plugin".

As much as I love Reaper, it is consistently infuriating for certain keys to get passed on to Reaper when typing in a plugin window.

Going in changing the scope for actions I might potentially trigger is not something I want to have to deal with and should not have to deal with just to get Reaper to yield an almost universally expected behavior.

I cannot imagine a scenario where one is typing into the text field of a plugin where you'd want the spacebar or anything else passed on to the DAW. If you did, why would you be typing into a text box in the plugin?

In this case I really wish a decision would be made that, universally, if you are in the text window of a plugin, your keyboard input is going into that plugin only until you click into Reaper again. Straight ahead, simple. Or make it a preference.

Absent that, at the very least, please, please, please make it so the right click option "Send all keyboard input to plugin" is right clickable from the plugin interface and not just from the fx chain window.

It is sooooooooo annoying not just to have to stop and engage that option when you are reminded that sending keyboard text to plugin isn't default behavior, which, to my mind, it should be (this works seamlessly in pretty much every other DAW) but then to be reminded that, "Oh yeah, I have to open the fx window just to do that, even though I already have the standalone plugin window open.

TL;DR versions:

Please either make the "Keyboard input sent to plugin" a default behavior, or at least make it a right clickable menu item from every possible plugin window and slot (standalone plugin, insert slot and fx chain window).

Or, alternatively - when a plugin with a text field opens, just present that option with the plugin window as a question right away "Do you want all keyboard input to go to this plugin when typing in it's text field? Y or N"

Thanks.
Dubnick is offline   Reply With Quote