Old 05-08-2022, 01:31 AM   #1
Lex Lux
Human being with feelings

Default Recording midi with Alesis Strike MultiPad

I got me an Alesis Strike MultiPad to record my own midi drums. I also have a a Roland foot pedal for the kick plugged into the Strike. I use the Strike only as a midi controller and have Superior Drummer 3 and Addictive Drums 2 as plugins on my tracks in Reaper.

My problem is that Reaper wont record my kicks as I play them. Instead hits close to one another skips in playback and the rhythm just seems off because of that.

I've understood that having electronic drums as a midi controller isn't the same as when playing a normal midi keyboard, and that it has something to do with the midi notes turning off at some point. But I just don't know how to fix this.

Surely, I should be able to play electronic drums in Reaper, right? It works just fine i Studio One, so I'm thinking it can't be the Strike's fault.

I've attached two gifs to this post. The first one shows how the midi signal interacts with Reaper for the Strike. You can see in this gif that after hitting the pedal kick on the Strike, which triggers the midi signal in Reaper, the midi signal on the track disappears (as expected), but the a tiny midi signal activates just briefly after every hit. This is not the case in the other gif, where I trigger the midi signal via my M-Audio Keystation keyboard. And playing the drums via the Keystation works just fine.

Could someone please point me in the right direction or even tell me what I actually have to do inside Reaper to get it all to work as I wish? It's not only the kick that's a problem, hitting every other pad on the Strike too fast leads to the same missing notes when I record the midi in Reaper.

Btw, I'm on a M1 mac mini from 2020.

Last edited by Lex Lux; 05-13-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Lex Lux is offline   Reply With Quote