Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
trevlyns
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get Reaper to see EZDrummer

Hi guys, I'm a newbie and not as technically gifted in computer-ology as you fellas, so please have mercy!

I've installed EZDrummer and it is located in C/program files/Toontrack. I've asked Reaper to look there but I can't find it listed in my VSTI's.

I did read a similar thread about Superior drummer but it was a little over my head technically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
EvilDragon

When you installed EZdrummer, it has prompted you where to install the VST plugin (it's a separate folder from where the sample data gets installed). By default it's something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\ or something like that. If you changed that folder, that's where you will find it. Search your system for "ezdrummer.dll". When you find it, put it in your VST folder. Refresh the plugin list in Reaper after that (of course, if you pointed Reaper to that VST folder).

Shouldn't be a problem.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
trevlyns

Absolutely brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thanks so much.
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
hour9

Default Same Problem but Still Can't See EZDrummer

Just like many others I can't get Reaper to see EZDrummer.
I'm running a PC using 64bit Windows 7.
I've upgraded EZDrummer to 64bit.

I've installed, uninstalled, rebooted and prayed. No luck.

In Reaper I've gone to Options>Preferences and entered C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\Toontrack\ezdrummer.dll and then hit Apply.
Still though, when I insert a virtual instrument track I cannot find EZDrummer or EFH or anything but the stock Cockos plugins.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing here? I'm not sure if it matters but I'm using the Evaluation License version of Reaper. Is the purchased version different?

thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

Kyle
hour9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hour9 View Post
In Reaper I've gone to Options>Preferences
I trust that you mean Options > Preferences > Plug-ins > VST?
Quote:
and entered C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\Toontrack\ezdrummer.dll
For one thing, a dll file is not a VST folder! The correct path would be
C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
if that's the folder that you installed EZD to.

It's not the best folder for a 64 bit plug, since x86 is for 32 bit stuff. You'll want to keep 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins in separate folders.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Reaper?

For another thing, EZD's dll is not called anything as sensible as "ezdrummer.dll", IIRC.

Quote:
and then hit Apply.
You'll also need to scan the folder (Reaper will re-scan automatically on restart, by default).

Quote:
Still though, when I insert a virtual instrument track I cannot find EZDrummer or EFH or anything but the stock Cockos plugins.
If you continue to have problems with EZD, drop some other 32 bit VST dll into (x86)\VstPlugins, set the path correctly in Reaper, re-scan, and see if it can find the new VST, and we'll take it from there.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it matters but I'm using the Evaluation License version of Reaper. Is the purchased version different?
It doesn't nag you to buy it every time you start it, and it has "Registered to Kyle Thingummy" written at the top. Otherwise, no.

Last edited by Fex; 02-27-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
hour9

Fex,

Thanks for responding.
I had already tried all of your suggestions with the exception of storing EZD somewhere other than x86.
I'm running 64bit Reaper.
I had tried the path name you suggested but no luck.
The auto scan never detects EZD.
I can try moving the program out of x86 and see if that helps.
I don't have any 32 bit vst's to drop in there. Is there something I can download?

Kyle
Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Fex

Quote:
The auto scan never detects EZD.
I'm pretty sure that either you're missing it - filtering the FX window for "Toontrack" will find it, if it's there - or, if Reaper's really not seeing it, then the path Reaper's scanning doesn't match the actual location EZD was installed to.

Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins in Explorer, if that's where you think you installed it, and see if it's actually there. If it's not, check for a folder called "Steinberg" in both Program Files and Program Files (x86). I have known install packages to ignore my choice of location, which is extremely annoying....

If EZ actually was installed to Program Files (x86), then double check the path in Reaper.

I still think it would be a good idea to install it to C:\Program Files\VstPlugins instead. However....
Quote:
I can try moving the program out of x86 and see if that helps.
This works for drag-and-drop dlls, but I couldn't guarantee that it will work for a plug-in that has to be installed. Files elsewhere on the system might be referencing the location established at install. It would be better to uninstall it and re-install it.

I think that Reaper 64 bit should be able to read a 64 bit plug in a 32 bit folder, regardless. A folder's just a folder, after all....
Quote:
I don't have any 32 bit vst's to drop in there. Is there something I can download?
There are literally thousands of free 32 bit VSTs you can download. You're kinda jumping in at the deep end starting with a heavy gun like EZD.
Arbitrarily, I'll suggest 4Front bass, just because I know it's a drag and drop install, and comes in 32 and 64 bit versions, so if you place them in Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins and Program Files\VstPlugins respectively, it might help us to trouble shoot your scanning issues.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
hour9

Fex, thanks so much.

I'll give it another go when I get home tonight.

Kyle
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
s_sibs

If you're running 64-bit Reaper please download and install the latest EZdrummer from your Toontrack account (1.3.1) It includes a 64-bit version of EZdrummer.

By default the 64-bit version will install at C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\Toontrack\64bit

After you've installed the 64-bit version, make sure you set the path there in Reaper in Options->Preferences->Plug-ins->VST and click the 'Add' button and navigate to the above 64-bit install location.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
s_sibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
hour9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
If you're running 64-bit Reaper please download and install the latest EZdrummer from your Toontrack account (1.3.1) It includes a 64-bit version of EZdrummer.

By default the 64-bit version will install at C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\Toontrack\64bit

After you've installed the 64-bit version, make sure you set the path there in Reaper in Options->Preferences->Plug-ins->VST and click the 'Add' button and navigate to the above 64-bit install location.
This is it. Got it working. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
SeibertDR

Default Working

Thank you for the tip. I got mine working too.
SeibertDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
sostenuto

Quote:

----------------------------------------------------
Scott S. __ Impressed to see your support here and on TT Forum (Pre-sales in my case).

Very close to SD2+SDXs and support is a strong decision factor.

Reaper, Ilio/Spectrasonics, Jamstix __ Support have been all been above expectations, and it appears TT's will be as well. Good to see.

Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
patrick_vandehey

Quote:

Every time I try this (I believe I'm doing this exact operation) and try and drag-and-drop it in to the VST folder it says "Error, could not import 1 of 1 items!"
patrick_vandehey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
kenetrator

Apologies for bumping an old post but I'm having the same trouble as the people in here.

I've tried all the suggestions and I still get the same error message. It tells me that my version of EZ Drummer 2 isn't the latest version and the latest should be found here "c/program files/reaper (x64)/plugins" which I've already made sure I've installed to. The EZ Drummer dll file is in there.

It doesn't crash Reaper and I can 'OK' the two alerts that come up and use the plugin freely with no problems but it obviously shouldn't be happening. I don't get this issue with the standalone program plus it is indeed the latest version from my Toontrack account with all updates installed.

I've also tried both 32 and 64 bit versions inside 64 bit Reaper (surely the bit quality doesn't matter that much?).

I'm stuck for ideas now and it's doing my nut in :S

Last edited by kenetrator; 01-01-2016 at 12:09 PM.
kenetrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
ginormous

The Reaper plugins folder is for VSTs native to Reaper. When most third-party plugins self-install in Windows, they establish a folder named "Steinberg", from the company that created VST technology. This is NOT inside the Reaper program files. This will either be in the x86 or the 64-bit "Program Files".

Re-locate to such a folder, and force the re-scan, making sure you write the file path for the proper folder. This may get you back on (toon)track.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #16
kenetrator

I don't have a Steinberg folder. I tried reinstalling POD Farm to see if it would create one but it hasn't worked.

I'll keep plugging away anyway. Thanks for the suggestion
kenetrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #17
Bassttv

Default ezdrummer not recognized in reaper

i too am a part of this club, im about ready to give up on the whole thing and do gardening instead if i cant figure this out...i heard ssomeone say to uninstall ?ezdrummer? and reinstall it? idk, ive done all these suggestions and to no avail..can i pay someone to come to my studio/house to do this for me ?
Bassttv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
ivansc

Blimey a thread last answered six years ago!

1. Have you downloaded and installed Toontrack`s Toontrack Product Manager?

2. Once you have done it, re-install EZDrummer using the manager. It will guide you through AND allow you te see where it got installed.

3. Open Reaper`s options/preferences/plugins/vst and look at the location list already there (if any).

This will tell you what folders belonging to reaper and your plugins are actually being opened by Reaper.
If none of this helps, copy and paste the existing locations list inside your next response to this thread, so we can see what is where.

Also, there is an option to check and see if any plugins failed to scan when Reaper starts up. You can clear the whole thing out of reaper and re-scan the plugins rather than just re-scanning them & this will also help you sort out any issues. Usually there are several options as to HOW to get the scanning and re-scanning done, so check them out.

Try it & let us know if it worked or not.

Last edited by ivansc; 03-13-2022 at 02:30 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
NinjaRaf

Old topic, but similar issues for me, and I am usually pretty tech savvy. In any case...I just bought EZD2 today. Standalone seems to work fine.

My EZdrummer.dll is located here: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns\Toontrack

I used ToonTracks product manager to install and authorize everything. Added this path to the Reaper VST paths in the Preferences window. Cleared cache, re-scanned. I can see ezdrummer.dll show up while its scanning. It does not show up in the failed to scan list.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing EZD2. Still nothing. Just seems to refuse to show up in the Reaper FX list. Not sure what else to try at this point.

I contacted ToonTracks, hopefully they can help me out.

EDIT: As I was about to post this, I remembered working with Aurora last year on their Mammoth plugin, and since I'd downloaded the trial before purchasing, Reaper got confused about which to use. I had to remove all of the trial files, delete Mammoth from the Reaper VST .ini file, and re-scan. So I have been messing around with this idea.

Turns out, I had an old version of EZDrummer DFH installed from like 15 years ago. I have been digging through my machine trying to find and remove all of these old .dll files.

Once I got them all, I deleted EZdrummer from the Reaper .ini file, then I uninstalled and re-installed EZD2. Problem solved!

Anyway, I wanted to post all of this because this was a relatively complicated situation that I am guessing most people will not come across, but I did, and there wasn't a solution for it available online. Now there is one...just FYI.
NinjaRaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #20
Djentrified

Coming at this from 2022 as well! This is what I found that helped my situation (for anyone in the future needing in-depth help with this issue).

1. Make sure that in Options > Preferences > Plug-ins > VST you have added 'C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Toontrack' (or whatever path where your actual EZdrummer.dll is located) to the plugins path list

- Do this by clicking on the "Edit path list" button, then click "Add path,"
then select the proper folder.

2. Once the folder has been added to the paths list, go ahead and click "Re-Scan" and then click "Clear cache and re-scan VST paths for all plug-ins."

EZ Drummer 2 showed up for me after that!
Djentrified is offline   Reply With Quote