Old 05-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings

Default Poll: Do you use Ultraschall-API and for what and how?

After 5 years development and 1500 functions, it's time for me to reflect back on Ultraschall-API and
what its future might be.
But for this, I need some help from you.

In case you don't know, what Ultraschall-API is(you can skip this part, if you already know it):
It's basically a collection of 1500 Lua-functions, that allows you to code different aspects of Reaper, just like e.g. SWS and JS-extension allow you to.
This includes Rendering, Parameter-Modulation, Razor-Edit, Automation-Items, FX-Management, Envelope-Management, improved Defer-Stuff, getting/setting project-file-states, File Management, a programmable Event-Manager that runs actions when certain states are met, etc etc.

1) It's especially interesting for fast prototyping a new script without having to code some tedious things over and over again.

2) The functions are also helpful for beginners, who want to do some more advanced things but still lack the experience
for some of the more complex stuff. Especially coding of rendering is quite advanced, but easy to do with Ultraschall-API.

3) It also serves as some kind of example-code-snippet-library. Many of the functions are more or less self contained, so, if you find a function in Ultraschall-API that does something you want to do as well, you can look up its code and get an idea for your own code and scripts.

4) and it includes a lot of technical documentation, if you want to go deeper into coding stuff in Reaper.

You can find an incomprehensive list of features over here
Or a full list of all available functions over here

When I started developing it, its main goal was to give the Ultraschall-podcast-mod a stable backend, that
makes programming it more comfortable and the codebase more bugresistant. Many of the features I've added in the past
were done with podcasting-needs in mind.
And to make it as stable as possible, I made it independent of Ultraschall, so everyone of you could install and use
and write scripts with the Ultraschall-API backend, even if you wouldn't use Ultraschall itself.
Because of that, many of you could help me finding bugs and therefore made the code-base better than before(I'm very grateful
for all your feedback and bugreports )

Now, I've reached a point, where I basically added everything, that I had started to add in the beginning, so,
apart from some gaps here and there, it's basically, where I wanted it to be.

So the question is, should I continue and if...how?

And here I need your help.

I would like to ask you:

1) Do you use Ultraschall-API and if not, what would you need to use it?
If you simply don't have a use-case for it or like to develop things yourself rather than using functions by others,
it's ok to skip this question

2) What do you use it for, mainly? Which aspects are helpful and which concepts do you use?
It doesn't matter, if you just use it for your personal scripts or for shared scripts. Knowing the used aspects gives me a
hint to where I could add some more developing-love to.

3) What is missing for you? What aspects of Reaper you would like to have functions for? And what is tedious to use
in Ultraschall-API and what would you prefer instead?

This will help me to get a little on how you actually use Ultraschall-API and what aspects are rather uninteresting for y'all.
Or if I'm currently riding a dead horse developing it(I honestly have no idea...) and should refocus on other areas instead,
that are more helpful for the community.
ATM, I know, that the Rendering-functions and Parameter-Modulation are the most popular features, but maybe there are others as well, while others are completely unimportant for you.

If the whole Ultraschall-API is rather unused, I would mostly cease development on it and only do maintenance and bugfixing on it,
but this really depends on what you need, or if you need this at all.

Thank you in advance and I'm curious for your feedback

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 05-13-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
X-Raym

Hi !

I use Ultraschall API if I need complex stuffs for which you the reverse engineering would take too much time, and would be not that necessary because you already made it. Think Spectral Edit API for eg.

I use the Doc to see if some missing API functions have lua workarround, and then I check the code to get the basic logic, but it need rewritte if I have to implement into my code.

I did a looot of scripts so I kinda already have a huge library of custom functions, and I tend to make my scripts as self-contained as possible, to allow quick edit/fix/bug hunting, especially required cause half of these are premium, and this requires extra fast support, which is simpler if all is my code and everything is kept minimum. Having less dependencies is also easier on install process for users. It can also in certain cases allows to write things in a very CPU optimized way.

There is for sure hidden gems and ground breaking logics in your API, you may be several years everyone else on some topics ^^

For sure, wait other users feedback ! We all have different requirements.

Cheers and thx for your work !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Bump

@X-Raym

thnx for your feedback

Old 05-14-2022, 12:12 AM   #4
AlbertoV5

I came across it when reading about track state chunks and a few other functions I didn't know how to use. The documentation and write up helped on learning for sure. I went on to do the chunk parsing myself so I havent called functions from your api. But definitely helped me.
AlbertoV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoV5 View Post
I came across it when reading about track state chunks and a few other functions I didn't know how to use. The documentation and write up helped on learning for sure. I went on to do the chunk parsing myself so I havent called functions from your api. But definitely helped me.
Good point. It seems like I forgot a chapter about them in the introduction/Concepts-page of the Ultraschall-Api docs.
Will add one in the next update...

Old 05-17-2022, 02:55 AM   #6
TonE

I use or will use it for midi mapping export / import to/from .csv files per .RPP. Thanks you added later some more functions, which I did not test yet, hopefully I will do soon. Imo the biggest "mistake" of Reaper devs is not adding this to Reaper itself. How can you have a configuration export/import feature (great) but no midi mapping export/import feature per .RPP, in simple text format, e.g. csv? This I can never understand. Only such a feature allows converting any .RPP to a "groovebox" like hardware, with a fixed mapping to your available hardware set (midi controllers with knobs, buttons, faders, crossfaders).

My other wish for Reaper is having more powerful command line rendering (to .mp3 or .ogg) options, e.g. render a 1 bar loop as 64 bars or 2 minutes of music, for example. As far as I know this is not possible by conventional command line use. Not sure if Ultraschall-API can help here, for command line use case?

Thanks a lot again for the magical Ultraschall-API!

Last edited by TonE; 05-18-2022 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added per .RPP in two places, so it is more clear what is meant
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote