Old 01-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Default Nymphes Control Freak

Hi guys,

I wrote myself a JSFX to remotely control my new Nymphes synth from within REAPER. Thought I'd share in case anybody here also has it (or is thinking about getting one).

(It's in my Reapack repo)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
dna598

How are you finding the synth? Thinking of getting one. Especially after seeing this amazing looking controller software of yours.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #3
FeedTheCat

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far! I really like the sound of it, but I guess that comes down to preference. Was getting a bit lost without any visual feedback, that's I made the JSFX.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
dna598

Do you have any experience with other similar synths to compare it to? I'm thinking of things like deepmind/juno etc. Specifically the oscillator quality, as it has a lot to compete with considering it has no fx. (apart from the reverb, which i'm not bothered about). I wish they put a chorus on there instead.

But the size is just perfect, and using your software looks like it offers a much better experience. I could control everything from my push 2.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:23 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
Do you have any experience with other similar synths to compare it to? I'm thinking of things like deepmind/juno etc. Specifically the oscillator quality, as it has a lot to compete with considering it has no fx. (apart from the reverb, which i'm not bothered about). I wish they put a chorus on there instead.
No, not really, a friend of mine has a Minilogue XD, but I haven't really gone much deeper than presets. As far as oscillators go, I know that the Nymphes has VCOs as opposed to the Deepmind's DCOs, but not sure that's a testament to their quality

For me at least the Nymphes just really fit what I was looking for: Something portable, with a very "analog" sound, that can be controlled from within reaper. The 6 voices is also a huge plus, as a keyboard player 4 feels a bit restrictive.

I don't really have cons, maybe that the sound isn't too versatile, so make sure you like it. Obviously the whole 2 functions per slider thing also isn't great for hands-on control.

I do like the reverb, but I'd say it's more of a creepy howling-wolf effect, very situational Most of the time I'm just using valhalla stuff.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:39 AM   #6
dna598

Hi FeedTheCat

Got a Nymphes attached with the dongle to my midi interface, and i have note-on working. I have the Freak on the channel before Reainsert. CC's are enabled in midi devices. Firmware 2.0.

No communication with the Freak. Could you please tell me how to set it up properly?

thanks
Old 09-15-2022, 04:04 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hi FeedTheCat

Got a Nymphes attached with the dongle to my midi interface, and i have note-on working. I have the Freak on the channel before Reainsert. CC's are enabled in midi devices. Firmware 2.0.

No communication with the Freak. Could you please tell me how to set it up properly?

thanks
Haven't upgraded it to work with firmware 2.0 yet. But since you're interested I'll move that up in my priority list
Old 09-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #8
dna598

thanks FeedTheCat.

Yeah i did my head in trying to turn on the cc rx/tx on the unit. Got there in the end, but i see they have changed up all the cc's.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:30 AM   #9
FeedTheCat

Spent the night changing the CC mappings. Check out the updated version, I'm sure there's a few bugs, but at least it seems to work at first glance. (they really went overboard and changed every single CC...)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:07 AM   #10
dna598

Hey thanks. Just installed it. For some reason there is no gui with the new one.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #11
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hey thanks. Just installed it. For some reason there is no gui with the new one.
I forgot to update the reapack repo, so you can now update it through there. If you copy paste from github, make sure to click "Raw" first, works fine for me (should show a GUI).
Old 09-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #12
dna598

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I forgot to update the reapack repo, so you can now update it through there. If you copy paste from github, make sure to click "Raw" first, works fine for me (should show a GUI).
cool got it going, thanks.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:24 AM   #13
pyerbass

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you very much!!! it's great!
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote