Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
CaliaMoko
Human being with feelings

Default One Key Press to Stop and Record Again when I mess up

I'm looking for a function similar to the way you can press one key in Logic and start the section you're recording over again. In case I garbled that, I mean...I'm recording from, say, measure 20. I get to measure 27 and I mess up. Is there a way to make Reaper stop right there and start recording again from measure 20 by pressing only one key? It would have to erase what I just did and start fresh.

I apologize if this has already been addressed; I couldn't find anything when I searched.
CaliaMoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliaMoko View Post
I'm looking for a function similar to the way you can press one key in Logic and start the section you're recording over again. In case I garbled that, I mean...I'm recording from, say, measure 20. I get to measure 27 and I mess up. Is there a way to make Reaper stop right there and start recording again from measure 20 by pressing only one key? It would have to erase what I just did and start fresh.

I apologize if this has already been addressed; I couldn't find anything when I searched.
I have something like that setup as a custom action I named "DoOver". It's just two predefined actions combined as a custom action. The two actions I used are:

Transport: Stop (DELETE all recorded media)
Transport: Record

I have the action bound to the number 0, and can either hit 0 on my ten key pad, or use an infrared remote I have setup pressing 0 on it, which is great for when I'm on drums across the room.

If I'm recording a track of guitar or bass, the second I screw up I hit 0, and am instantly back in record from the last punch in point before I lose the groove.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:26 AM   #3
norbury brook

nice action I'm stealing this one too .... for the same reasons

M
Old 12-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
nice action I'm stealing this one too .... for the same reasons
I record as I write, so that custom action gets used a lot as a part evolves into what eventually will be the final. I just punch into record before I even know what I'm going to play, and start taking stabs at what to play, coz I can always hit DoOver.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I record as I write, so that custom action gets used a lot as a part evolves into what eventually will be the final. I just punch into record before I even know what I'm going to play, and start taking stabs at what to play, coz I can always hit DoOver.
yes, me too at times. I think that's a great short cut.

It's funny I'm coming back to Reaper after many years and this time I'm really spending some up front time setting all this stuff up. Things have moved on a long way since i last used it...I'm glad to see you still here from the old days I got on board with V1.x..... that's a long time ago now.

merry christmas.

M
Old 12-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
yes, me too at times. I think that's a great short cut.

It's funny I'm coming back to Reaper after many years and this time I'm really spending some up front time setting all this stuff up. Things have moved on a long way since i last used it...I'm glad to see you still here from the old days I got on board with V1.x..... that's a long time ago now.

merry christmas.

M
You started using REAPER earlier than me. My first version was v2.107 which ended a multi-year long run using Cakewalk Sonar.

I don't use 90% of the features in REAPER, treating it more like a digital multi-track recorder, but the few features beyond straight up recording that I do use, I really like.

Track templates is probably the most used feature for me. I have them setup for every real and virtual instrument I use, so when I grab a guitar or bass off the rack, I just insert a template for it, and I'm ready to record from the correct input, with FX, and track icons already setup. After plopping some bass, guitar, and acoustic drums templates into a project and recording, the mix will almost be there, before ever starting to do a mix.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!