Old 10-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,659
Default Render bass track through Kontakt library

I'm trying to run an audio (bass guitar) through Orange Tree Evolution Rick bass Kontakt library. I'm using Kenny G's method as explained here:

https://youtu.be/G8D2jEhbN7Y

I've got the window size maxed out at 200, but I'm still getting glitching and drop outs. What am I missing?
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Stella645
Human being with feelings
 
Stella645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,685
Default

Does it sound like an issue with the bass triggering cleanly or more like audio dropout/glitching from processor overload?

Have you confirmed this library plays ok from midi?

Maybe try it from recorded bass audio so you don't have the extra stress of the record armed track.
__________________
Funkatarium 30th Anniversary Remixes
Digital release available now, Ltd Edition Vinyl coming to Beatport soon
https://madeonearthmusic.com/artist/jump/
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 13,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I'm trying to run an audio (bass guitar) through Orange Tree Evolution Rick bass Kontakt library. I'm using Kenny G's method as explained here:

https://youtu.be/G8D2jEhbN7Y

I've got the window size maxed out at 200, but I'm still getting glitching and drop outs. What am I missing?
Hi Kirk, I think this is a precarious way of doing it, a lot of little things that can cause problems.

However, did you set the window size to 100? I found that bass notes need that.

Also try putting another ReaTune in front of the one you're using, but put it in correction mode.

Not sure any of this will help but give it a try.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,659
Default

Tried all of these. Turns out its a pitch thing. I had to pitch up my audio an entire octave for it to trigger Kontakt.

I'm not sure how to render just the output of Kontakt without the original bass audio.
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."

Last edited by kirk1701; 10-27-2021 at 06:57 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 13,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Tried all of these. Turns out its a pitch thing. I had to pitch up my audio an entire octave for it to trigger Kontakt.

I'm not sure how to render just the output of Kontakt without the original bass audio.
Once you have the midi track setup, no need for the actual audio, unless I'm misunderstanding.

At any rate, if you have to play the Bass audio to get the Kontakt Bass to play, then simply record the the track where you have Kontakt bass output.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Once you have the midi track setup, no need for the actual audio, unless I'm misunderstanding.

At any rate, if you have to play the Bass audio to get the Kontakt Bass to play, then simply record the the track where you have Kontakt bass output.
I think there's a pin routing thing I'm missing. I only want the Kontakt output, but I'm still getting both. This is obvious because of the octave shift. There's a clear separation of the in audio from the out. Also the output is slightly delayed.
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
bigjoe
Human being with feelings
 
bigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 246
Default

For me, in this situations the fastest and cleanest way to get things done is:
Do the pitch tracking with the original bass on a track, make a midi send to another track with kontakt playing the samples (transpose down with reacontrolmidi if needed), freeze or render the Kontakt track.
Done.
No pins to connect, no hassle.
BTW if you have Melodyne try to get the midi out of it, itís way more precise than real time tracking.
Bass frequencies are really hard to track for tuners/pitch correction plugins.
__________________
I'm not big as a sound engineer, but i'm fat, so i'm a big Sound Engineer :P
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
For me, in this situations the fastest and cleanest way to get things done is:
Do the pitch tracking with the original bass on a track, make a midi send to another track with kontakt playing the samples (transpose down with reacontrolmidi if needed), freeze or render the Kontakt track.
Done.
No pins to connect, no hassle.
BTW if you have Melodyne try to get the midi out of it, itís way more precise than real time tracking.
Bass frequencies are really hard to track for tuners/pitch correction plugins.
Thanks! I'll try this.
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:51 AM   #9
Boogieshoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW UK
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Thanks! I'll try this.
Thank you for the original question. The thread took me on journey of learning some new things that frankly I wouldnít have thought about. There are so many features and tricks hidden in Reaper but I get lost when configuring Pin inputs as KG does in his video and knowing if itís just for that track or a global change being made.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 3,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
For me, in this situations the fastest and cleanest way to get things done is:
Do the pitch tracking with the original bass on a track, make a midi send to another track with kontakt playing the samples (transpose down with reacontrolmidi if needed), freeze or render the Kontakt track.
Done.
No pins to connect, no hassle.
BTW if you have Melodyne try to get the midi out of it, itís way more precise than real time tracking.
Bass frequencies are really hard to track for tuners/pitch correction plugins.
Hot take: how about using the bass guitar for its actual sound? Now that's clean and simple
__________________
AM bient, rund funk and heavy meteo
my soundclouds+youtubings
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
kirk1701
Human being with feelings
 
kirk1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Hot take: how about using the bass guitar for its actual sound? Now that's clean and simple
Because it's not making the sound I want. Keep up.
__________________
"I've never trusted Klingons and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.