Old 01-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #481
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

For people having trouble with the quantizing always to the end of the notes 'independent what is set in the GUI' version 2.10 doesn't have this feature that can be used then...
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #482
Cloudswim

hey tried the script and its not working in Reaper 6.21, tried installing the latest version and still not responding to quantize commands and presets except for the Quantize Tool UI which will load.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #483
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
I recently update Reapack and it removed the old version and installed this one which is very unintuitive to work. Where can I find the old version with simple GUI?
I've never used Quantize Tool before and am 100% baffled by the UI. How do I even use this? The PDF is of no help
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #484
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
I've never used Quantize Tool before and am 100% baffled by the UI. How do I even use this? The PDF is of no help
Yeah, I was pretty baffled when I first saw it, but the basics are, three tabs, three buttons...

First Tab, Anchor Points, this is what you want to quantize to, usually the grid, you can pick current grid, or fantom grid, where you can divide the current grid by two, or multiply it. So, if they grid was set to 8ths, you can divide to 16th etc. When that's set, press the green Detect Anchor Points at the bottom.

Next tab, Target, ie what do you want to quantize, MIDI, envelope points etc? Make your selection then press the blue Detect Targets button.

Last Tab, some option you don't really need to mess with, leave on position based allingment which I think is the default and press the red, calculate Output button. Use the Align Position knob to the right to set how much quantization you want
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #485
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
No problem with that, it doesn't expect from user one button/knob style of working. Try to uninstall it and use something more user friendly.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #486
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Yeah, I was pretty baffled when I first saw it, but the basics are, three tabs, three buttons...

First Tab, Anchor Points, this is what you want to quantize to, usually the grid, you can pick current grid, or fantom grid, where you can divide the current grid by two, or multiply it. So, if they grid was set to 8ths, you can divide to 16th etc. When that's set, press the green Detect Anchor Points at the bottom.

Next tab, Target, ie what do you want to quantize, MIDI, envelope points etc? Make your selection then press the blue Detect Targets button.

Last Tab, some option you don't really need to mess with, leave on position based allingment which I think is the default and press the red, calculate Output button. Use the Align Position knob to the right to set how much quantization you want
Thanks very much! My friend helped me understand as well. It's very abstruse and could certainly use a guide to explain what the terms mean.

The plugin didn't work for me until an Action Output option was selected.
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:00 AM   #487
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
No problem with that, it doesn't expect from user one button/knob style of working. Try to uninstall it and use something more user friendly.
Welcome back, MPL! Glad you're OK.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:52 AM   #488
mozart999uk

I've just installed 2.24 and I can't get anything to happen with this in reaper 6.26.

Am I missing something? None of the scripts seem to do anything at all. No gui, nothing.

Is it meant to be run from the arrange / main?

I'm sure I'm doing something silly....
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #489
PMan

Indeed, good to see you, MPL!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #490
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Reposting this because I finally understood that images are best hosted externally

- Note offs appear as anchor points even if unselected

- The ends of some items seem to be used as anchor points, even if unselected

Sorry for late reply.
I just pushed a fix, but didn`t go into the code for a long time. From first sight everything works (point shown right and items alighn to the right positions).
Old 04-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #491
Gianfini

Quote:
welcome back!!!
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #492
juan_r

MPL!! So good to see you back. Hope the worst of covid is past us. Slow recovery to life.

And thanks for the fix, I'll check it tomorrow :-)

EDIT - I think you haven't touched the Quantize Tool yet, maybe some other script of yours (you made so many!)

My problem with the MPL Quantize Tool, illustrated in the gif I linked, is this: The ends of items are not selected as anchor points, but the targets (midi note ons) still seem to quantize to the end of items.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the tool?

Last edited by juan_r; 04-20-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #493
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
MPL!! So good to see you back. Hope the worst of covid is past us. Slow recovery to life.

And thanks for the fix, I'll check it tomorrow :-)

EDIT - I think you haven't touched the Quantize Tool yet, maybe some other script of yours (you made so many!)

My problem with the MPL Quantize Tool, illustrated in the gif I linked, is this: The ends of items are not selected as anchor points, but the targets (midi note ons) still seem to quantize to the end of items.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the tool?
please attach simple rpp to reproduce and dump quantize tool settings (in the menu)I pushed foxed yesterday, may be github is not update repo yet

Last edited by mpl; 04-21-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #494
daniellumertz

I think the bug juan is relating is that independent what you select in the anchor window to Notes Off option it will be used as an anchor. Like if you just want the notes on as an anchor.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #495
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
I think the bug juan is relating is that independent what you select in the anchor window to Notes Off option it will be used as an anchor. Like if you just want the notes on as an anchor.
Almost, but not exactly.

The bug I am relating is that, at least in my case, item end is used as an anchor for target note on. Target note on is selected OK, but as shown in the gif (relinked here for convenience), item ends are not selected as anchor points, so I would not expect them to work as anchor points.

This behavior is not dependent on a specific project: it's repeatable in any circumstance for me.

@daniellumertz Thanks for chiming in. Do you also observe the same?

Last edited by juan_r; 04-21-2021 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Relinked licecap gif for convenience
Old 04-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #496
mpl

I just realized reapack didn`t update that script yesterday. Try to update now, the final version at the moment is 2.26
Old 04-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #497
juan_r

YESSSS!! Great MPL, thank you for the fix!
Old 04-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #498
daniellumertz

wooo thanks for the fix!
Anchoring to just note on is 100% now
Old 04-21-2021, 09:54 PM   #499
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I've just installed 2.24 and I can't get anything to happen with this in reaper 6.26.

Am I missing something? None of the scripts seem to do anything at all. No gui, nothing.

Is it meant to be run from the arrange / main?

I'm sure I'm doing something silly....
If you mean preset scripts, they are supposed to use in custom action before running Quantize Tool to automate catching objects and performing action.

The initial way to do something is:
- setup anchor points
- select reference objects (if valid) and press big green button
- setup what you want to quantize
- select objects and press big blue button to catch
- choose an action you want, press big red button to calculate output positions
- move knobs to change action parameters in realtime
Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 AM   #500
bellerandre

I'm confused about "Include Within" and "Exclude Within". Do they work with Anchor Point - Grid, and Target - Stretch Markers?

I use MKSlicer to add stretch markers to all transients. And I want mplQuantize to affect only notes that are close to beats (quarter notes). Is this possible?
bellerandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:05 AM   #501
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerandre View Post
I'm confused about "Include Within" and "Exclude Within". Do they work with Anchor Point - Grid, and Target - Stretch Markers?

I use MKSlicer to add stretch markers to all transients. And I want mplQuantize to affect only notes that are close to beats (quarter notes). Is this possible?
Include/Exclude options work for any targets, yes, it is possible.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #502
bellerandre

Hmm any tips? I can't figure out how to make it work.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #503
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerandre View Post
Hmm any tips? I can't figure out how to make it work.
Current version is 2.35. Just tweaked same strategy (Anchor Points: Grid, Target: Stretch markers, Action: Position-based Alignment) and it works fine here.

If it same on current version - can you send me simple RPP (one track one item) to reproduce?
Old 09-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #504
bellerandre

UPpdated - it works as expected. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #505
grnprplOrngyllw

Default Please help to run this!

Hey there.
First of all, thank you very much for this.

Second of all, I cannot get this thing to work. I cant even launch it.
I installed quantizetool v2.35, downgraded Various Functions to 1.31 since it is free, pinned version 1.31, then I synched the packages.
After that, I restarted Reaper 6.25, ran Quantizetool default preset, then ran quantize tool (background) and I get a message saying that I need to update various functions.lua. If I do that... wait...

question: Is this free? Is quantize tool free?

How do I launch this? Please help!

I attached a picture. (PS: How do you guys upload good quality pictures here? I had to make mine as little a f ing possible. Any tip is appreciated)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quantizetoolx00001.jpg (63.9 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by grnprplOrngyllw; 10-25-2021 at 08:49 PM.
grnprplOrngyllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #506
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnprplOrngyllw View Post
Hey there.
First of all, thank you very much for this.

Second of all, I cannot get this thing to work. I cant even launch it.
I installed quantizetool v2.35, downgraded Various Functions to 1.31 since it is free, pinned version 1.31, then I synched the packages.
After that, I restarted Reaper 6.25, ran Quantizetool default preset, then ran quantize tool (background) and I get a message saying that I need to update various functions.lua. If I do that... wait...

question: Is this free? Is quantize tool free?

How do I launch this? Please help!

I attached a picture. (PS: How do you guys upload good quality pictures here? I had to make mine as little a f ing possible. Any tip is appreciated)
Quantize Tool v2.26 is the latest version before VariousFunctions 1.31. So pin it and use for free. Any script additions/updates after may 2021 require latest VariousFunctions package.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #507
grnprplOrngyllw

Default it works!

thank you very much mpl!!! it works now. Good day!
grnprplOrngyllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #508
mpl

Latest version should support properly grouped items, thanks to Vicnest Wang shared to me test project.
That was pretty tricky, but I finally replicate REAPERs default behaviour when quantizing stretch markers in grouped items (coming soon at 2.40):

Old 01-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #509
siperwrx

Default Broken Action

Hey MPL,
I just updated to the latest version of Reaper and I'm getting this error on v2.1:
mpl_QuantizeTool_data.lua:514: bad argument #2 to 'pack' (number expected, got nil)

The error happens when I try to use the Align Position Wheel.

Any ideas?
siperwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #510
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by siperwrx View Post
Hey MPL,
I just updated to the latest version of Reaper and I'm getting this error on v2.1:
mpl_QuantizeTool_data.lua:514: bad argument #2 to 'pack' (number expected, got nil)

The error happens when I try to use the Align Position Wheel.

Any ideas?
Can you test is error happenes again?
There was a huge cleanup recently, so the version 3.0+ should take care of different corner cases (although I can`t really test all possible user cases, there are thousands of them).
Old 05-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #511
siperwrx

Quote:
Can you test is error happenes again?
There was a huge cleanup recently, so the version 3.0+ should take care of different corner cases (although I can`t really test all possible user cases, there are thousands of them).
I updated to the most recent package and now I'm getting this error instead:

...ous\mpl_QuantizeTool_functions/mpl_QuantizeTool_data.lua:1003: attempt to call a nil value (global 'VF2_MPLQT_Data_ApplyValues')
Old 05-06-2022, 11:08 PM   #512
mpl

Quote:
I updated to the most recent package and now I'm getting this error instead:

...ous\mpl_QuantizeTool_functions/mpl_QuantizeTool_data.lua:1003: attempt to call a nil value (global 'VF2_MPLQT_Data_ApplyValues')
You didn't updated (the error seems you to use 2+ versions). Last version doesn't require any dependencies other than "Various Functions", which should be updated too.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #513
siperwrx

Quote:
You didn't updated (the error seems you to use 2+ versions). Last version doesn't require any dependencies other than "Various Functions", which should be updated too.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the complete package and now I'm missing the action I used to use: Quantize_Tool (Background). (I forget the exact name)

The only thing I see now is mpl_Quantize Tool.lua--which doesn't seem to do anything.

I selected the item with stretch markers, then clicked Anchor. Then I selected the Midi item (with all notes selected in the Editor) and clicked Target. When I rotate the second dial, none of the midi notes move to align with the stretch markers. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (80.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #514
mpl

Quote:
I uninstalled and reinstalled the complete package and now I'm missing the action I used to use: Quantize_Tool (Background). (I forget the exact name)

The only thing I see now is mpl_Quantize Tool.lua--which doesn't seem to do anything.

I selected the item with stretch markers, then clicked Anchor. Then I selected the Midi item (with all notes selected in the Editor) and clicked Target. When I rotate the second dial, none of the midi notes move to align with the stretch markers. Any ideas?
In your case only left knob should affect (right knob is mostly for volumes, like align midi velocity to envelope points values).
Btw are sure you have preset correctly setup? You have to expand script window to overview parameters.

Last edited by mpl; 05-09-2022 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:49 AM   #515
Gianfini

hi mpl

same problems here. the mpl_quantize tool just shows Anchor / Targets / two knobs without text and preset

And it does nothing

Ver 3.03
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #516
siperwrx

Quote:
In your case only left knob should affect (right knob is mostly for volumes, like align midi velocity to envelope points values.
Btw are sure you have preset correctly setup? You have to expand script window to overview parameters.
That fixed it! I think it opens as minimized by default, but expanding the window showed everything I needed. Thanks for the help (and the killer actions!)
Old 06-01-2022, 12:39 AM   #517
skylar_battles

Would anyone be willing to do a tutorial on how to use the MPL QuantizeTool? I can't figure it out.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #518
siperwrx

Default mpl_Quantize Tool.lua:1707: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'ref_pat')

Hey MPL,
I'm getting this error when trying to use the Quantize Tool. Using the latest version. Perhaps it has to do with the VariousFunction update?

mpl_Quantize Tool.lua:1707: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'ref_pat')
Old 06-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #519
mpl

Quote:
Hey MPL,
I'm getting this error when trying to use the Quantize Tool. Using the latest version. Perhaps it has to do with the VariousFunction update?

mpl_Quantize Tool.lua:1707: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'ref_pat')
What are you trying to align (which are anchor points, target, action)?
Old 06-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #520
siperwrx

Quote:
What are you trying to align (which are anchor points, target, action)?
Stretch Markers and MIDI--but I get this error as soon as I run the Quantize_Tool action.

Last edited by siperwrx; 06-02-2022 at 03:09 PM.