Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #41
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
.....I'm currently using cpupower-gui to change my CPU's frequency on demand. I use TLPUI to set my USB device to not "autosuspend"
James, some of those settings in there are a bit ambiguous, could you share perhaps, what you have set there?
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #42
JamesPeters

The only things you should need to do are: change the CPU frequency governor to "performance", and under "USB" set USB_autosuspend to disabled (click the slider on the right to turn it off).

And recently I started using cpupower-gui to change the CPU frequency governor to "performance". So I don't use TLP for that anymore. I like the ability to change that whenever I want.

That's it. I don't know what more you were expecting.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:23 PM   #43
pax-eterna

Quote:
The only things you should need to do are: change the CPU frequency governor to "performance", and under "USB" set USB_autosuspend to disabled (click the slider on the right to turn it off).

And recently I started using cpupower-gui to change the CPU frequency governor to "performance". So I don't use TLP for that anymore. I like the ability to change that whenever I want.

That's it. I don't know what more you were expecting.
hahaha, no simple is good! There were quite a few options in both of those apps...what you suggest there suits me perfectly. I am a kiss person too!

Thanks
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #44
Mikobuntu

Hi guys, Ive just installed AV_Linux_MXE onto my Acer nitro 5 ( eventually after locking myself out of root by changing my keyboard layout and couldnt find the default layout that I had installed with, long story and it was easier just to reinstall )

Quick question regarding the Nvidia drivers. We know the default rt kernel doesn't work with Nvidia and it has been suggested to install the low-latency kernel, my question is which one is the most recent as the versioning numbers aren't quite clear on this?

thanks guys
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #45
JamesPeters

If you install the nvidia-rt package, the drivers should work with the rt kernel.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #46
Mikobuntu

Quote:
If you install the nvidia-rt package, the drivers should work with the rt kernel.
Thanks James,i'll look into this later today and report back my findings.
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:21 AM   #47
BlessedOne72

Default DIGI-002 on AV Linux 2021.05.22

OK ...

I was so happy to find out, that my Avid / Digidesign DIGI-002 Rack was detected on
AV Linux . I can start for example Harrison Mixbus and REAPER 6 (both of the Linux versions tested ; the one, that got installed along with the OS install and the most recent one that I installed by myself .) .

Now here enters the trouble ...

I can start play back, but the metronome / click - sound is crackled, as well as monitoring my guitar / mic - input (without any plugins .) .

On Windows 10 x64 latest I can run several plugins (VST / VSTi as well as VST3 / VST3i)
without any hickups and I can go to a very low buffer size, meaning a near ZLM .

Specs :

MSI Z390 A-Pro
Intel i3 Core 2 Duo
16 GBs Fast RAM
MSI / nVIDIA GT 710
Kingston 240 GB SSD Drive

REAPER v6.38 x64
Mixbus 32C 7 x64
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #48
Pinknoise

Are you running with Pulseaudio or Alsa ?
I had to buy Behringer 204hd to use Alsa, latency problems gone.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #49
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Are you running with Pulseaudio or Alsa ?
I had to buy Behringer 204hd to use Alsa, latency problems gone.
I've tried both ALSA and Jack ; Both seem to "work", but neither one is "usable" .

- BOne -
Old 10-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #50
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
I've tried both ALSA and Jack ; Both seem to "work", but neither one is "usable" .

- BOne -
Jack is a front end for Alsa.
Alsa=Driver
Pulseaudio=driver
Jack=Mixer

Did you try playing with latency ? I am not convinced that your interface plays well with Linux also.
EDIT: I am wrong I found this: http://www.zamaudio.com/?p=855
it's pretty old tough maybe worth a shot.

I busted my balls to try to make MOTU firewire work; usb plug and play is much more user freindly.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:13 AM   #51
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Jack is a front end for Alsa.
Alsa=Driver
Pulseaudio=driver
Jack=Mixer

Did you try playing with latency ? I am not convinced that your interface plays well with Linux also.
EDIT: I am wrong I found this: http://www.zamaudio.com/?p=855
it's pretty old tough maybe worth a shot.

I busted my balls to try to make MOTU firewire work; usb plug and play is much more user freindly.
I tried different values for latency . Nothing seems to help .
Further on ; I also tried my Behringer 202HD ... Same problems .

What is sort of funny ; the OS freezes constantly ; even when not doing any CPU - hungry stuff .
Old 10-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #52
Pinknoise

Have you tried another distro ?
Old 10-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #53
Glennbo

Quote:
Have you tried another distro ?
Something like Manjaro. Not only do I like it best on my DAW machine, but now I'm running it on my Raspberry Pi too and have gotten several sample players working that never worked before on the Pi.

The big issue now is I'm running my 4GB Pi out of memory loading up a gig of drums, a gig of piano, Etc.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #54
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Something like Manjaro. Not only do I like it best on my DAW machine, but now I'm running it on my Raspberry Pi too and have gotten several sample players working that never worked before on the Pi.

The big issue now is I'm running my 4GB Pi out of memory loading up a gig of drums, a gig of piano, Etc.
OK ...

So, I installed Manjaro on a Asus Vivobook - laptop .
Now, what should I do in order to tune the operating system for DAW - Usage ?
Audio Optimized / Realtime low latency Kernel ? ;

Anything at all, shoot me .

- BOne -
Old 11-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #55
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
OK ...

So, I installed Manjaro on a Asus Vivobook - laptop .
Now, what should I do in order to tune the operating system for DAW - Usage ?
Audio Optimized / Realtime low latency Kernel ? ;

Anything at all, shoot me .

- BOne -
Try recording something with it. The stock kernel is a low latency one. Before I installed Manjaro on my DAW machine I tried a live disk and running from it I was able to play my projects, so I did a test recording which worked without pops or clicks so I installed it, mid project in REAPER. I started this 43 track project in Xubuntu and finished it in Manjaro.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....talled+manjaro

On the system I do all my recording, I edited the file,

/etc/security/limits.conf

adding the two lines.

@glennbo - rtprio 98
@glennbo - memlock unlimited

Replace @glennbo with your home folder user name, or some folks prefer to use @audio and then add themselves to the audio group.

Those lines give you permission to run stuff at 98% real time priority, with unlimited access to memory.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #56
audiojunkie

Quote:
Pacman is the command-line package manager. Pamac is the GUI-based one. It's referred to as "Add/Remove Software" in the menu. It's there.

I believe if you'd have right-clicked on that message you could've gone to the kernel manager which is in the "Manjaro Settings Manager". But you can get there from the menu, now that you know how. Don't switch kernels from the package manager; do it from that kernel managing application. Likewise if you're going to enable Nvidia GPU drivers, do it from the "Hardware Configuration" area of "Manjaro Settings Manager".

Most things about the distro can be handled by the GUI-based applications provided in it. If someone says "just go sudo pacman blah blah blah" for instance, I'd instead use Pamac aka "Add/Remove Software". Beware of this kind of advice people tend to give. Don't do command-line things unless they're necessary. People don't give the distros enough credit for making things easier for the user nowadays, or they're a bit too old-school to realize people would generally prefer to use a GUI that provides some kind of sensible feedback to them. I seldom use Terminal for managing things about the distro.
I don't know if I'd say that people are too old school. As I understand it, with multiple different DEs (Desktop Environments) available, there would be multiple different sets of instructions to guide one through each different GUI to accomplish what is desired. BASH from the commandline is nearly universal to Linux distros, and a single set of instructions can help a user accomplish what is desired regardless of the DE used. I believe that is the main reason people use it in their instructions.

I've found that the command line and GUI each have their purpose. The GUI is easier when no a lot of options or parameters are involved. However, the commandline allows a granularity in command specification that is hard to match with a GUI. Personally, I prefer GUIs, because I work better that way. But I understand the value in having and using both.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote