Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
happyhammer
Human being with feelings

Default Getting started with MIDI Controllers?

I'm hoping someone with more know how can point me in the right direction. I'm a guitar player and program drums using EZ Drummer - I like the results but at times it's a little one-dimensional. So I'd like to add some colour to my tracks by adding a keyboard / controller to my set up (i want to go down the same route as some of my favourite bands, such as In Flames, Chimaira, Soilwork, et al).

Only thing is I'm a bit clueless. Currently I use Rig Kontrol 3 (came with Guitar Rig when I bought it as my audio interface). I like the look of the M-Audio Oxygen keyboards but it think they're USB only, and my Rig Kontrol doesn't have any USB inputs. Does the controller have to connect to the soundcard or can I just run it into the USB of my Mac? Or should I be looking for a more versatile audio interface?

Also, I was thinking of using it with something like Native Instruments' Absynth or alike, does anyone have any opinions on whether an utter noob like me would be out of his depth with such a thing?! Willing to consider any recommendations
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
bluzkat

First off... the majority of midi keyboards are USB now and it will plug directly to the computer (not your interface).

Absynth is a great (and unique) synth, but might be a little deep for a first synth. There are alot of tutorials for Absynth though.

There are tons of very good 'free' synths out there. Check this thread for a list to get you started.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382.

Enjoy.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
happyhammer

Brilliant Bluzkat, thanks very much!

So if I get a keyboard with USB I just need to make sure it's set up right in Reaper so I can monitor in real-time, etc... will definitely check out that list, appreciated