Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
heartwood
Human being with feelings

Default At a loss!

I have been installing all the lastest updates but Reaper has been slowing down and taking forever to load. It even randomly changes screens and will not let me save or delete certain project files. I get the message that they are open in another program.

Hoping for a fix, I tried installing version 9.977. I am running 9.776. But I keep getting a message stating that there was an error loading the installation file, and to abort the install. Anyone have an idea of what might be going in?

Thanks,
Michael
heartwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Sounds like Reaper crashed while loading a plugin and the plugin stayed open. Check your Task Manager to see if any Reaper.exe processes are still running and try again. Or just reboot.

Take note of plugins that crash and avoid using them.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
heartwood

Thanks for taking the time to offer the suggestion. Unfortunately, there were no instances of any reaper.exe files running. I removed plugins from the project but it didn't help. I also rebooted quite a few times in hope of fixing the issue.

Is it possible to return to a previous version of Reaper that was working. or even remove the last Windows 10 update? Things went bad after I did both updates. Thanks for any further thoughts in these.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartwood View Post
Is it possible to return to a previous version of Reaper that was working.
Rolling back to a previous version is basically done by directly installing an older version (https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php) over your existing Reaper install folder (which will keep the settings, configs, etc.).

Another option to try in general is making a (fresh) portable Reaper install into a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing install) to check if the behavior/issue is the same there: http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
foxAsteria

I'm thinking it's more likely something happened to the audio driver. Tried reinstalling that?

Would also be a good idea to get all the latest drivers from your motherboard manufacturer. DriverBooster is pretty good for that as well if you want to automate the process. I always uninstall it after use, because of all the bloatware it tries to install.

You could also have a permissions issue where Windows can't access the install folders.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
heartwood

Default All is well!

I want to thank each of you for the time and effort spent in helping me. I was prepared to try each suggestion. I started with reinstalling the audio driver and didn't have to go any further. Consequently, I was able to update the latest version without getting the error message. You guys are great! Thanks