Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default workflow for making identical edits to multiple recordings

i was about to ask for recommendations, but had an idea as i was writing the post.

so, here's the idea.

i recently recorded a violinist, with a room mic (condenser) and a close mic (dynamic) on 2 different tracks. i wanted to edit them together, but i haven't used groups in a looong time, and didn't like having to do the same stretch marker work 2x times.

surely there are scripts that make this work better, but i realized that i can just edit one of the recordings, get it right, duplicate it, and then just replace the source with the other recording, since their start/endpoints are the same.

this is old news,but maybe it'll help someone someday
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #2
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
... but i realized that i can just edit one of the recordings, get it right, duplicate it, and then just replace the source with the other recording, since their start/endpoints are the same.
Yes - nice!

This is one of the workarounds for the missing pooled boxes problem.

Another workaround would be:

Render audio-items to a single audio-item + assign this single audio-item
to a midi-note in Reasamplomatic5000. Only put the Reasamplomatic note
into a midi-item and make "pooled copies" of this midi-item at the intended
iterated positions.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
SonicAxiom

another elegant workflow: record anything multi-mic'ed as one multichannel item on the same track (drums, guitars, vocals, entire band performance, etc.).

In your example, prepare a track to record a stereo input of your interface. Mic one will get recorded on the left channel of the resulting "stereo" (in fact 2-channel) wave file and the other mic on the right channel. Any item-based editing like splits and stretch markers will automatically affect all mics. You can still record multiple versions (takes) on top of each other with this method. Finally, route every single channel of the multichannel source item to its own dedicated track for individual sonic processing and mixing.

The more channels involved (recorded simultaneously), the more efficient this method will be. 10-channel drum editig is sped up significantly especially if you had already saved appropriate drum/guitar/whetever multichannel recording track templates prior to the recording session.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
another elegant workflow: record anything multi-mic'ed as one multichannel item on the same track (drums, guitars, vocals, entire band performance, etc.).
ha! brilliant, i should have thought of that. i'll try that next time, and send the channels to their own wavs for mixing and fx. thank you!

meanwhile the room mic sounds so good right now that i don't know if i need the close mic's recordings after all.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

I'm a big fan of the multichannel workflow. I've been doing it this way for ages

Of course, you can always combine two files that had been previously recorded on two separate tracks into a single stereo file after the fact in case you'd like to edit them as "multichannel".

Just wanna mention two other scenarios where multichannel is very beneficial: Say you have recorded a source with multiple mics but not with the goal to mix the signals but rather to be able to pick a single signal out of them to be used exclusively. An applicable real-life situation would be when you are recording a singer with multiple mics simultaneously to be able to pick the best sounding mic for him/her during mixdown. Instead of recording 4 mics on 4 separate tracks, you'd set a single track to be "4-channel", select a 4-channel input range for it (provided your interface offers 4 inputs) and then record into a 4-channel wave file. During mixdown, put my "multi-channel channel switcher - 4x mono" plugin into that track:

Benefits: No messing whatsoever with multiple solo or mute buttons as usual! The plugin will allow you to seemlessly toggle between the signals of the multichannel recording and exclusively listen to one of them in the context of your mix. You can even compensate for any possible level difference between the 4 signals to take your decision purely based on sonic aspects. You could even automate the toggling if you prefer to have mic 3 during the verse and mic 4 during other parts of the song. At the same time, track count stays low - everything is happening in one track instead of 4, thus, a lot less project clutter!

You can find various different multichannel plugins among my free VST plugins, each of which can help in slightly different situations. Just one more example: the multichannel guitar amp recording plugin:

Say you'd like to record an electric guitar amp with (up to) 3 mics plus capture the guitar's raw DI signal. The plugin will allow you to quickly make a desired blend of all mics, you may also pan them, individually mute them and use the raw DI signal for re-amping purposes (output via pin 4 of the plugin). Again, everything in a single track!

One impulsion for me to come up with these plugin was to be able to significantly reduce the track count of my projects which is one of the advantages of using the multichannel approach.

Feel free to explore my plugins - they are free!