Old 01-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
ksor
Human being with feelings
 
ksor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ┼rhus V, Denmark
Posts: 486
Default Saving to MP4 files ??

I am in a very slow process converting my old VHS videos to MP4 files on my computer.

I have got a small USB unit to connect the video recorder/player to the computer and some SW with the unit to record on my computer into MPG files.

I record a tape into a very large MPG files on the computer and want to use Reaper to cut it into smaller files for every date on the tape.

Reaper is very, very VERY much faster and more stable than the SW delivered with the USB Video Capture unit.

But how can I render a cut out into a MP4 video file ?
__________________
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Winfield
Human being with feelings
 
Winfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Underground Bunker
Posts: 537
Default

When rendering from Reaper, you set up the output in the render to file window - choose output format 'Video (ffmpeg/libav encoder)' and then under format choose 'QT/MOV/MP4'.

-W
__________________
"if DAWs are religions, REAPER is atheism" - The big J
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:28 AM   #3
ksor
Human being with feelings
 
ksor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ┼rhus V, Denmark
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
When rendering from Reaper, you set up the output in the render to file window - choose output format 'Video (ffmpeg/libav encoder)' and then under format choose 'QT/MOV/MP4'.

-W
I did, but still it came out as a MOV and in a very bad quality !
__________________
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
mespotine
Human being with feelings
 
mespotine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 1,321
Default

Mac, Windows, Linux?

The Windows-version of Reaper has very limited mp4-export-capabilities.
__________________
Ultraschall-API - a Lua-functions-library4Reaper: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post2067798
Reaper Internals - Developerdocs4Reaper: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207635
mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 AM   #5
ksor
Human being with feelings
 
ksor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ┼rhus V, Denmark
Posts: 486
Default

Windows 10 fully updated.
__________________
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
Eliseat
Human being with feelings
 
Eliseat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cologne
Posts: 1,164
Default

ksor, its a bad idea to convert the files two times. The quality loss takes place because you re-encode the already bad VHS quality to a loss mpeg2 and once again into the final mp4 codec. Every step reduces the bad quality more.

And by the way, the .mov output just needs to be renamed to mp4. At least that is what others wrote about the mp4 export problem. Its also not that important because its only a container which can contain several codec types.

If you really want to save the videos in good quality you should avoid the mpeg2 step by saving the files into a lossless format right after the USB converter. This creates very large files but those are necessary if you don't want to much loss of quality. After that you could cut and convert them finally with a good codec like H264 with 100% (pseudo) quality. Pack it into mp4 or mkv and everything should be fine.

Greetings
Eli
__________________
☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆REAPER//✿◔‿◔)░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:32 AM   #7
ksor
Human being with feelings
 
ksor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ┼rhus V, Denmark
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
ksor, its a bad idea to convert the files two times. The quality loss takes place because you re-encode the already bad VHS quality to a loss mpeg2 and once again into the final mp4 codec. Every step reduces the bad quality more.

And by the way, the .mov output just needs to be renamed to mp4. At least that is what others wrote about the mp4 export problem. Its also not that important because its only a container which can contain several codec types.

If you really want to save the videos in good quality you should avoid the mpeg2 step by saving the files into a lossless format right after the USB converter. This creates very large files but those are necessary if you don't want to much loss of quality. After that you could cut and convert them finally with a good codec like H264 with 100% (pseudo) quality. Pack it into mp4 or mkv and everything should be fine.

Greetings
Eli
The Q is allready bad when I view the file just after the USB !

Converting them to M4V makes it worse.

I think something is wrong with my USB-interface I cant access all setting and those I CAN corrupts the file when I change them = lots of flickering and still pale colors
__________________
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:13 AM   #8
Fabian
Human being with feelings
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
<snip>

And by the way, the .mov output just needs to be renamed to mp4. At least that is what others wrote about the mp4 export problem. Its also not that important because its only a container which can contain several codec types.

<snap>
Yes, this is true. Just rename the *.mov to *.mp4. Those formats are for all practical purposes identical.
__________________
// MVHMF
I never always did the right thing, but all I did wasn't wrong...
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Eliseat
Human being with feelings
 
Eliseat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cologne
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksor View Post
The Q is allready bad when I view the file just after the USB !

Converting them to M4V makes it worse.

I think something is wrong with my USB-interface I cant access all setting and those I CAN corrupts the file when I change them = lots of flickering and still pale colors
I guess you bought one of those 20Ç USB converters from amazon. A friend of mine did the same to archive some family recordings from an old camcorder. And she also struggled with the quality.
You have to understand that VHS already is very low quality. It also has a very low resolution. Converting it with loss to another format can't be good. Do you have the ability to choose another format in the USB software? Maybe something with the tiny hint "lossless"?
If you can't access every setting you maybe only have a restricted version of the software which needs payment, upgrade or both. But maybe you could use an other (free) program to get the data from the USB to the HD?
__________________
☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆REAPER//✿◔‿◔)░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat
At least that is what others wrote about the mp4 export problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Yes, this is true. Just rename the *.mov to *.mp4. Those formats are for all practical purposes identical.
True but... Just an aside that I think the resulting file size is much larger if exporting MP4/MOV from Reaper, vs exporting MKV from Reaper then converting to MP4 via Handbrake (with the same quality) - or it's still actually MOV with an MP4 extension hence the larger file. I need to confirm but pretty sure that's the case, for my uses that doesn't often matter but wanted to mention.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
Eliseat
Human being with feelings
 
Eliseat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cologne
Posts: 1,164
Default

Ah, okay. Didn't know that.

Do you mean Handbrake can load the file from inside the mkv container and put it inside a mp4 container without any re-encoding? This would be indeed a nice way to solve the problem.
__________________
☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆REAPER//✿◔‿◔)░☆.。.:*・░☆.。.:*・░☆
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Ah, okay. Didn't know that.

Do you mean Handbrake can load the file from inside the mkv container and put it inside a mp4 container without any re-encoding? This would be indeed a nice way to solve the problem.
It reencodes but I 'think' the resulting MP4 quality is the same since MKV is archive quality (higher than MP4)? which is why many use MKV-->MP4 instead of Reaper's .MOV AFAIK.

Pros for MKV:

Better video & audio quality than MP4

Ideal format for storing HD videos
Support multiple video/audio tracks & subtitles

IIRC the file size difference was something like 5 or 10:1 but don't quote me without testing.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
ksor
Human being with feelings
 
ksor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ┼rhus V, Denmark
Posts: 486
Default

I've tried Handbrake, hoping it could make me some smaller files ... and it can !

It too has a facility to vary the quality without steps - simply a slider.

... the talk about codex I don't know anything about ;-)
__________________
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.