Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #201
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Great ! Thanks for letting me know.
I of course daily use my Live playing setup for playing instead of for programming, since some years

Reaper is great tools and reliable basis for this stuff.

Recently, there were some ten new threads with comments or requests for help on this issue.

So let's spread the word ad continue to try to have a dedicated forum for "Reaper Live Usage".

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-02-2018 at 11:44 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #202
woodslanding

Wow, this is a very exciting thread to find! I am also planning to use REAPER for live performance, using vsti's and audio effects.

I have a functioning setup right now, using Usine, but I'm working through what might be involved in porting it to REAPER. It is chock full of bugs, and the deal breaker is that changes I make are now often not saving correctly, so I've been losing a lot of work, and can't move the project forward. Also, I'm using an old version of the program, because new versions won't load my project. That said, it does do what I need, if I work around the bugs.

I have a walkthrough of the features here, if you are interested:
https://youtu.be/PCtKZgpXY00

These two plugins will definitely help. I downloaded the midi pipe one. But when I search repack for 'midi volume control' I get V1.0....

No biggie, I can copy from the forum, but I thought you might want to know.

EDIT: Saw where it was renamed MIDI FADE X. So all good!

cheers,
-eric
woodslanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #203
mschnell

(Yep "extended fade function by Midi Control enabling cross-fading" )

Great !

While you use a touch screen for live performing. I decided to use a hardware controller and integrated a Behringer XTouch Compact in my setup and defined an appropriate functionality for all it's elements to do patch selection, parameter control, and transposing -> http://schnellphoto.de/keyboard.jpg. Works very well. (If you are interested: I have a (now slightly outdated) description of same -> http://schnellphoto.de/X%20Touch%20Patch.pdf).

I recommend firstly to consider both options and decide if you want to do your setup using either "LiveConfigs" or "Midi CC Table". There are pros and cons for both. This thread is mainly about Midi CC Table, but in my current setup I use Live Configs. Pipe did not like LiveConfigs as it does not allow for multiple tracks being active at the same time for allowing "spill over". OTOH, LiveConfiog is a powerful tool providing a lot necessary and useful functionality out of the box, which otherwise needs to be created from scratch. LiveConfigs feature a GUI for configuration which might be very desirable.See -> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...55&postcount=6

Please come back with any questions about Reaper Live usage ! (We definitively need a dedicated sub-forum for "Reaper Live")

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-03-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #204
woodslanding

Well, I have up to 15 tracks active at a time, so I don't think live configs will be helpful...

I keep thinking about going to hardware for control. But the biggie for me is patch changes. I need to be able to find patches from big lists. I can't do that from hardware. I can't imagine remembering the numbers for patches. I'm assuming you do that with the mouse and screen? I guess one could use an encoder to scroll through a list, and press it to select a patch. But I like the immediacy of learning exactly where the button for a particular sound is, and just pressing it (even if there is inevitably some paging involved.)

Did this ever get off the ground? Or is this what you are using now?

Quote:

I am nearly ready with a suite JSFXes (one Midi filter and several more just for configuring the actions) that allow live-players to control transposing and changing patches (aka programs, sounds) via Laptop keyboard shortcuts (and via Midi controllers).

It is supposed to work with VSIs, external Midi enabled devices, but at best with SWS "LiveConfigs".

Momentarily it's in Beta testing.

I'll post the code and a manual in some days.

This project also make use of a kind of JSFX instance tracking.
woodslanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #205
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Well, I have up to 15 tracks active at a time, so I don't think live configs will be helpful...
The paradigm with LiveConfigs is:
When changing a config (line aka patch) all tracks that are mentioned on that page are muted, then the one you select is unmuted.
All other tracks are not affected.
You have eight such pages (aka "config #") that are handled independently on that behalf.
Each page is triggered by a CC #, the line to be selected is the CC value.

Hence you can have as many additional not LiveConfigs affected tracks as you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
I need to be able to find patches from big lists. I'm assuming you do that with the mouse and screen?
My setup manages up to 64 patches (by pushing buttons). This is by far enough for my purpose.
I use the screen and the mouse only for configuration. When playing on stage they are not even attached.
I am planning to add a small bright screen to be mounted at the XControl to show some states, but not to be necessary for using the setup. But of course this could be extended to allow for scrolling through a list by means of one of the rotary encoders.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-05-2018 at 07:25 AM.