Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Default #reaper_on_linux channel on IRC???

howdie guys,
waddaya reckon? Do you think we could find enough people around here to justify creating a #reaper_on_linux channel on IRC or so?
I mean, there seem to be quite a few linux wizards around here. So maybe we could create a chan for mutual help and encouragement It's already hard to make the switch, so we'd better be in good company with a few people around knowing a bit of their stuff, and exchanging our experience/newly gained knowledge etc....

Couldn't this be a cool idea?

Post your thoughts, post often

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
howdie guys,
waddaya reckon? Do you think we could find enough people around here to justify creating a #reaper_on_linux channel on IRC or so?
I mean, there seem to be quite a few linux wizards around here. So maybe we could create a chan for mutual help and encouragement It's already hard to make the switch, so we'd better be in good company with a few people around knowing a bit of their stuff, and exchanging our experience/newly gained knowledge etc....

Couldn't this be a cool idea?

Post your thoughts, post often

Raphael
not sure how many we'll get, Raphael, but you can count me in, if it's ok to go ahead with this. A good idea.

Alex.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
404NotFound

+1

great idea
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Marketing

Default hmm

What about the linux live cd for audio?Does it have a channel? Could push them to include reaper on it.
Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketing View Post
What about the linux live cd for audio?Does it have a channel? Could push them to include reaper on it.
Hi mate,
what live-CD are you talking about? And I'm terribly sorry to say, but I really don't understand the rest of your post.

We're talking about an IRC "channel" for those using Reaper in any kind of linux environment.
Almost any flavour of linux distribution probably has an IRC client to go chatting with like-minded people, incl. Live-CD's.
And as far as including Reaper on a Linux Audio distribution, I don't think that this is gonna happen anytime soon for the following reasons:
  • Reaper isn't officially supported on the linux platform
  • Reaper isn't 'open source'
  • Reaper isn't for free, like in 'Free Beer'
    (not that Justin wouldn't allow inclusion, if correctly integrated, with notes re: the Shareware/trialware status, the need to obtain a license and such things I guess. But the linux guys are somewhat more rigid/strict on deciding what to include in a distro or what not to. This has to do mostly with 'Open Source' & GPL rules/restrictions. At least that's how I perceive it)

@all others:
Wazzup? Aren't there more people willing to create/join such a channel? Don't you see a need for it? It seems that there are a few more than 3 persons on this forum using Linux.

It'd be a great start for us all to know that we share some common goals, that is making the Reaper (and common audio/multimedia) experience a more pleasant one on Linux. This could help to get other people on board as well, which haven't thought too much about trying another platform? Be it for the fear of the difficulties, compatibility issues re: VST(i) or some other reasons. One just has to read the Linux journey from Alex to see how rewarding this adventure could possibly be!

Well, raise your voice, thoughts, concerns, tips or what_have_you.

Regards
Raphael
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
BoxOfSnoo

I really do enjoy helping folks, but I don't have the time to hang around on a real-time help channel like that. A forum like this is probably the best I'll be able to manage.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

most of the reaper linux nuts are on the regular reaper chat
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
StudioDave

Quote:
... as far as including Reaper on a Linux Audio distribution, I don't think that this is gonna happen anytime soon for the following reasons:
  • Reaper isn't officially supported on the linux platform
  • Reaper isn't 'open source'
  • Reaper isn't for free, like in 'Free Beer'
    (not that Justin wouldn't allow inclusion, if correctly integrated, with notes re: the Shareware/trialware status, the need to obtain a license and such things I guess. But the linux guys are somewhat more rigid/strict on deciding what to include in a distro or what not to. This has to do mostly with 'Open Source' & GPL rules/restrictions. At least that's how I perceive it)
Your perceptions are in need of an update.

Non-free, even closed-source proprietary, software is allowable in a Linux distribution. For example, Debian (one of the most orthodox Linux distros) includes a /contrib directory for just such things. Yes, it has its rules, but the point is that such software is not disallowed by default, and the rules for a distribution are made and enforced by the distro designers and maintainers.

Btw, 'Open Source' is meaningless in this context, it has nothing to do with whether other software in a distribution is open-source or not.

Quote:
@all others:
Wazzup? Aren't there more people willing to create/join such a channel? Don't you see a need for it? It seems that there are a few more than 3 persons on this forum using Linux.
Alas, Box o' Snoo summed it up neatly. I'm already active on three IRC channels (#jacklab, #64studio, and #ardour), I simply have little time for anything more, regardless how much I might like to get involved. I have deadlines looming, performances to prepare, compositions to finish, new software to test, et cetera, and there's just too little time to spare.

However, as you can see, I do make time for the Reaper forums.
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
funkster1

Cheers Dave,
as always, your contribution is highly welcomed.
OK, so I'll adjust my 'perception' to what you're writing.

I really thought that in some (many?) distros, 'Open Source' was a prerequisite for inclusion. Even though you always have (had) the options to add diff. sources to your list for getting otherwise unsupported apps/codecs/what_have_you, and that it was always up to the users to do so or not.

As far as for an IRC channel, I guess I'll just leave things as they are nowadays.
As you all point out (and rightly so), most folks have work to be done, other subscriptions to look after and what not. I know that time is certainly a precious and often rare thing, difficult to spare. It was just an over-enthusiastic idea I guess.
Anyway, I know that all you folks are very helpful and keeping things together here in this single place is probably the best anyway, since all the written knowledge we can already find here is quite big, with new stuff happening every single day.

So to sum it up, I'm sorry if I came over a little overzealous.

Cheers
Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
w00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
most of the reaper linux nuts are on the regular reaper chat
he's right
w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
StudioDave

Quote:
I really thought that in some (many?) distros, 'Open Source' was a prerequisite for inclusion. Even though you always have (had) the options to add diff. sources to your list for getting otherwise unsupported apps/codecs/what_have_you, and that it was always up to the users to do so or not.
The complexity of license arrangements in the Linux universe is a potential nightmare for new users (and some not-so-new users too). Because clarity is the issue, I suggest two actions. First, visit the Free Software Foundation at http://www.fsf.org and follow the Licensing tab. Next, read the GPL. It's not a lengthy document, and it is after all designed to protect *your* rights with regards to the software.

Open-source != GPL. Many developers release their source code freely and openly, but they choose to place it under some license other than the GPL (or even no license at all).

The Linux kernel is placed under the GPL. Many of its ancillary components are licensed under other free software licenses. In effect, for any Linux distribution, the kernel and the basic services can be expected to be under the GPL or a compatible license. After those levels, things get more complicated. Again, see the relevant FSF pages.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I came over a little overzealous.
Not at all. The idea is good, the populace is just not so numerous (yet).

Last edited by StudioDave; 01-08-2008 at 11:55 AM.
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote