Old 05-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #281
jim111
Human being with feelings

Default Shred

I just gave Shred a whirl on a little blues jam I recorded and I'm really impressed. The track was a Parker Classic straight into Reap. Threw on Shred with preset 'Kens 80's JCM Old Times', backed off the power amp drive a little, turned up the master a little, touch of 'verb and delay, and bingo!--tone to the bone. Took all of 30 seconds to load it, preview a couple of presets, dial this one in, and say "Hey, that's it---no need to touch anything else."

I would post it, but my playing sux dishwater anymore, so I guess I'll spare everyone. lol

Thanks Ken. You've got a real winner here!

Jim
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #282
JohnnyMcFly

Evil, drag and drop is a PITA, and crazy on resources. It actually was a Drag and Drop interface before and I removed it. I needed the extra resources for new effects...So, thanks anyways man, keep thinking...

Danii, looking forward to your comments..

Jim! Great news...I am looking forward to hearing what you come up with in 1.5x,

Also guys just an FYI those that are participating in the 1.5X public beta held at the ABG forums are free to contribute as many heads and presets as they wish, as long as the presets have your name or initials, and are signed. Thats a new feature in 1,5x as well, you have the ability to put your name on the presets with a link to your website and a description of the preset...I figured that would be handy for the preset and head exchange that is coming..
KM
Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #283
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
Evil, drag and drop is a PITA, and crazy on resources.
But only when dragging, right? Then it can't be as big deal, no? You surely wouldn't drag&drop while playing
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #284
matey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But only when dragging, right? Then it can't be as big deal, no? You surely wouldn't drag&drop while playing
no? I drag and drop all the time when playing or recording...
matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #285
EvilDragon

If you're physically using your 2 hands to play an instrument, you surely don't have a third hand to drag and drop effects around?!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #286
JohnnyMcFly

Haha I actually do too...

The problem is I did not take Drag and Drop into account in the initial Shred design. Like way back before 1.06, in the 1.01 version that was released as part of Acoustica mixcraft 5. So, to properly implement it now I'd have to go through every control, popup, etc. and I will guarantee you I'll spend 2 solid weeks on it. So when one looks at it that way, With the almost guaranteed introduction of new errors, the extra CPU Usage, and the amount of time it will take...it makes sense not to do it.
KM
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #287
EvilDragon

Well, OK. Understandable.

Shred 2, maybe?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #288
junioreq

"If you're physically using your 2 hands to play an instrument, you surely don't have a third hand to drag and drop effects around?! "

heh, They call me tripod..

Last edited by junioreq; 05-16-2010 at 10:43 AM.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #289
JohnnyMcFly

Well When I'm testing I am not playing, sort of like hit a chord, make an adjustment, hit a chord make and adjustment, decide I hate it, delete it start again, Hit a chord make an adjustment, etc etc...Get disgusted with myself and go to the reaper forum...Done! Release software...
KM
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #290
pjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim111 View Post
Threw on Shred with preset 'Kens 80's JCM Old Times', backed off the power amp drive a little, turned up the master a little, touch of 'verb and delay, and bingo!--tone to the bone.
I too was very impressed with this preset. I played around with some, but kept coming back to this one. Very nice indeed.

To add a little more fun and scho-mizzle, I started playing with the room shapes / mic placement, then also played around with the pickup adjustments. Man, this thing is way fun to play with.

And now with your PACE and other additions, I keep checking your page and this thread to see when it's out.

Thanks for putting in the time with this Ken, and I look forward to rewarding your hard work with the $$$ you've mentioned for Shred 2.0.
pjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #291
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks PJK...

Thats the thing...I'm a guitarist too, and so is everyone who has been making our presets. Not all of them are within one's spectrum of taste. Having said that, there will for sure be some usable ones. No one is making presets using a keyboard, or using a random preset generator like some companies apparently do..Every single one we have sat down and played with..I know I have for sure, but so have most of the core ABG testers as well..

I would like to get 1000 presets together for this release. The new preset handler is huge, 18 banks handling at least 14,000 presets each. I stopped testing it after that..So, we really don't know what it will handle. We can further double the bank count as well if need be...

Why so large?
We are working on a live preset exchange. Shred would talk 'indirectly' to the ABG website and fill your preset banks with new ones as users upload them. This will be especially important with mods as they come out as well, in later versions, you will be able to design and save specific mods yourself, which you can sign and upload...Your own custom heads too, Shred 1.5x can handle 22,000 of them..Shred 2 will have the ability to use custom skins, knobs, and switches as well as allow you to position them yourself(I hope, positioning may not happen). So, your head designs need not stop at selecting a few existing knobs. We're talking about truly changing the head...Better yet, the upgrade to Shred 2 will be a VST compiler...Just in case you were curious where we were going with it...Thats where..So, instead of saving a head in Shred, you would simply click save as VST...Simple eh?

KM
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #292
JohnnyMcFly

Kindafishy, sorry man I forgot to answer your question...The answer is No...But we are working on a zero latency convolver.. That will not be out with 1.5x..
KM
Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #293
matey

about presets...

I find myself to tweak some very "basic" presets til I get my sound, depending on the song and my temporary mood, mostly clean, crunchy/clean, but never too hard tones (lots of HM lovers around...)

Sadly, I always forget to store my personal presets and it could be useful having a shortcut to "add the preset to your personal folder", or things like this

another thing I'd find good is to have the preset displayed by tone's genre (clean, crunch, hard, more or less hard, solo...), then it could be easier and faster to point your mouse to the right department...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #294
JohnnyMcFly

Hit the nail on the head matey..Thats how they are organized right now...
KM
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #295
technogremlin

Didn't get to it earlier, but email send
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #296
JohnnyMcFly

Techno, there is a change in plans, sort of. We want to hold the Public beta at the ABG forums as it will make it a lot easier to track bugs and such..Would you mind going there and joining the forum? I can still email you the link instead, but really the forum would be a lot easier for me...

Thanks
KM
Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #297
technogremlin

No problem, I'll register over there
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #298
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks man...Its just easier..
KM
Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #299
ajaym

OMG this is an awesome deal for free!. Great fun with RealStrat - which is my all-time favourite software purchase (apart from Reaper). I mean, I'm a keyboard player with the world's worst guitar technique (and maybe only slightly better keyboard chops). RealStrat through a good amp sim is just, well, awesome, and Shred is an awesome piece of software. I like this better than Guitar Rig 3 LE which came with Sonar and Amplitube which came with RealStrat.

One small problem I've noted - can anyone else repro this, is that if you select a patch and then turn the head off and back on, suddenly you've got almost no gain at all and have to select another patch to get things working again. This is with latest Shread & Reaper on Vista 32 SP1.

PS: I just realised I haven't gone into Sonar for, like, months. Reaper is so stable and easy to use compared to Sonar I just can't deal with the hassles, even though I'm giving up score editing and a whole bunch of other stuff I would like to have. But having an audio engine that never crashes turns out to trump all those cool features. Maybe Sonar 8.5 is better than Sonar 8 but I'm not willing to pay any more money to find out - I'll stick with Reaper, thanks.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #300
JohnnyMcFly

ajay, I have not heard of that. When you say gain do you mean volume, or distortion, if its volume, there are certain conditions where Shred 1.06 will shut off the master volume. In particular it does this when a volume spike is detected, its an annoying safety feature there to protect external equipment.

Some have said in the past we should set it up so it does not spike in the first place...Well, the reason why we took the protection route is because of the shear amount of options, over 240 million component combinations. So, we thought it prudent to build the protection features in just in case. We're trying to identify known configurations and at least remove the protections from them so that it does not happen as frequently, but, that will be in 1.5x...

One known flaw is in the poweramp mods in that loading one that has a power boost applied will cause the volume to shut off...Thats fixed in 1.5x

I hope that helps..
KM
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #301
pjk

Quote:
annoying safety feature
Aren't they all =)

Quote:
Sadly, I always forget to store my personal presets and it could be useful having a shortcut to "add the preset to your personal folder", or things like this
I find this to be true as well. I putz around, tweak up something I like, then forget to save it for later use. Something easy in this regards would be great.
pjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #302
matey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk View Post

I find this to be true as well. I putz around, tweak up something I like, then forget to save it for later use. Something easy in this regards would be great.
a popup window before you exit to remind you like this "the XXXX preset has changed, would you like to save changes?"/ "save", "save as", "exit" buttons... sort of?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #303
clkonkol

I downloaded the free version the other day. I'm mainly a keybord player, but would like to see how this VST might work with a keyboard as controller (I know sounds pretty lame - but . . .) I used the same procedure as usual to put Shred on a track, but no sound. I put another synth or drum VST on that track and there is sound. What am I not understanding about Shred? Thanks for putting up with my question.
clkonkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #304
folkrav

Shred isn't a VSTi (VST INSTRUMENT) but a VST effect, made to be applied on an audio source. In this case, on a raw guitar sound.

Call to Arms Studios
folkrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #305
clkonkol

Boy do I feel stupid - I now know better - thanks for getting me straight. So can I use it as an effect on a channel that also has a synth VSTi on it or would I send the VSTi track output to a track with Shred as the effect? Just want to know if there's a way to trigger it from a keyboard. Thanks again.

Edit: Or buss a midi dry guitar sound to an audio track and put Shred as the effect on that track. Would that work?

Edit: That worked - Suburban Guitarist bussed to Shred!

Last edited by clkonkol; 05-19-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #306
technogremlin

I'm using this kind of effects on a emulated guitar sound mostly made by some guitar emulating plugin. However, it works a treat on organ sounds as well
Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #307
clkonkol

But Shred seems to take a lot of CPU on my P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram. Of course that's with Addictive Drums, 2 instances of Oatmeal and 1 instance each of Superwave and Motion. No problems with CPU hit (and latency until I added Suburban Guitarist bussed to Shred. When I put Shred in Record mode and hit Record, the playback (to play along to) sounds terrible.

When I used Protools back in the v7.4 days, Digi said to turn hyperthreading off with this P4 processor. I wonder if that would help in this new Reaper setup? Anybody doing this or have any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #308
JohnnyMcFly

Shred itself should be running at about 22-24% on a P4 3.0 GHZ(This od course depends on effects as well). On the development system, a 2.4Ghz with 768 MB ram, it runs at 24-26%...The good news is that Shred 1.5x when released will also come with Modeled cabs. Non-convolution based, using these cuts the cpu usage down to around 12-15%, and, we have had amazing results using them in exactly the way you are using Shred. Some people love these and don't even use the convolution based cabs at all, instead preferring the flexibility that the modeled cabs offer...

Hyper threading? Not sure if that will help, I'll leave that for someone else.

Hope that helps, and yes, Shred 1.5x will be freeware also, and, when available, we will be releasing the Public beta to ABG Forum members. We have done public betas everywhere but the ABG site, so this time we want to hold it at our house...

KM
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #309
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I'm using this kind of effects on a emulated guitar sound mostly made by some guitar emulating plugin. However, it works a treat on organ sounds as well
And Acidlines

I play a little guitar but mostly use amp-sims for dirtier 303 Sounds and also on drums. Organs as well, of course, like you say.

There is no reason to limit the use of an Amp-Sim to guitars
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #310
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah Guys I agree, I hope I can get some presets from you keyboard guys..
KM
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #311
jussi

Why can´t I find SHRED 1.09? Iam a registered user at the Acme forum and not even there can I find the software.. :s

Am I getting dumb?
jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #312
JohnnyMcFly

1.09 was not released, it has grown into 1.5x, which is due for public beta I hope soon. I have just changed the entire tonestack, so each head has to be re-levelled and adjusted...then I want to get it out ASAP...

Sorry for the confusion,
KM