Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
finny
Human being with feelings

Default Multi monitor with reaper

Hello

I am trying to debate the best solution to use two sets of monitors. I have some small Yamaha sm101 and new hs8. I want to be able to a/b my mix with those two sets.

Options I am considering:

1) using my daw and audio card. I go out on 1 and 2 now to my first set of speakers. Can I use 3 & 4 out for my second set of speakers and then switch master out from 1 & 2 to 3 & 4? Using reaper and either an echo Layla 24/96 or a motu 2408 II

2) using my mackie cfx12 mixer. Going out 1 & 2 from audio card into mackie strip one and two. Then use subgroups 1 and 2 for one set of speakers and 3 and 4 for the other using the sub out 1/4 jacks.

3) purchasing a mackie big knob or a cheaper berringer version. I don't know what advantage one of these units has over a board I already own.

Pros cons?

Thank you
Michael
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

Unless you've got something else you need to use those interface outputs for, and assuming you're cool with handling all of your monitor volume adjustments either on the Master Fader or at the monitors themselves, I'd go with something like option 1. Straight wire is always best unless it's not, right?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
finny

Using volume on monitors won't be very good as on the new HS8's it is on the back and behind my desk. So using the Master on the DAW I would be using mostly once a general level is set. Is there any issue using the Master Volume in Reaper? I have read some posts about keeping it at 0 DB... I'm new to this

I will need the board for pre-amps i think for tracking with microphones so it is there and setup, I just wasn't sure if I would be degrading signal or causing any weird boosts with the board which could cause me to have a low level mix or something

Thank you
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

The big issue that I can see using the master is that it applies when you go to render. Also, it changes what you see on the master meters. So if you turn it way down for some reason, then just go and render the mix, the mix file will be turned way down. Then you go back and turn it up to 0 and render again. This time, though, it's too loud and clipping, but you didn't see it because while you were mixing, the master fader was down... Maybe the new Monitor FX could be used here somehow? Like insert a plugin that can be used for the actual output volume? You could probably even do something there to do the output switching also.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Maybe the new Monitor FX could be used here somehow? Like insert a plugin that can be used for the actual output volume? You could probably even do something there to do the output switching also.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130897

here's my switcher... (The "controller" can be on any track or master - it's just a "remote" control and optional)

define the input channel (usually 1/2 from the master) and up to 3 output channels. ANd then switch between them. They all have individual volumes. The Aux channel is stereo / mono switchable.

(unzip it into the EFFECTS folder of your default resource path)
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote