Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #81
matey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
No problem Matey...

Just an update guys...
I am pretty sure the compressor inside the head is not working out...I have had some non favorable reports from my beta testers...so, we may be removing it...They seem to not be noticing too much of a difference in it from position to position, so the the extra CPU usage for having that functionality may not be making sense.

KM
ditto ;-)
it wasnt me, uh?? not my fault...
matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #82
JohnnyMcFly

I do have a lower simpler CPU usage option in the form of Saturation shaping...
Perhaps we may want to look at that? Ted...?
KM
Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #83
bennals

I know you're probably sick of hearing this Ken, but I searched this thread and didn't see any mention of mac development in the future. A while ago you mentioned something about changing your development framework to allow for it. Has that been shelved? I tried Shred in a virtual machine in Parallels the other day and despite the half second input latency, it was pretty obvious that I liked it better than any other sim available for the mac at the moment. I also tried it under Wine (and the VFX app) but the GUI (and possibly other stuff) wouldn't work.

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #84
JohnnyMcFly

Bill, I'm never sick of talking guitar..
The MAC versions have not been shelved, but we still are not at a point where we can develop for MAC. We have aimed at version 3 of all our plugs supporting MAC AU.(Thats the plan)

I really am looking forward to supporting MAC just simply because I believe in the freeware world MAC is under supported. From an economic stand point once we start selling Plugs, according to some other companies that we're friends with, they have told me that almost 50% of their income is directly MAC related. So economically, and socially we're motivated...

WINE...Interesting, I have a guy that does our wine testing and he assured me that it worked. However, that was version 1.01, so thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that...I must have broke something in later versions..
This is 1.01
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred...te%20Final.rar
KM
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #85
JohnnyMcFly

Good news for those that are interested...I have the compressor working at 2% on the development system, that was 3 days I'll never get back!
haha
KM
Old 03-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #86
bennals

Quote:
Bill, I'm never sick of talking guitar..
The MAC versions have not been shelved, but we still are not at a point where we can develop for MAC. We have aimed at version 3 of all our plugs supporting MAC AU.(Thats the plan)

I really am looking forward to supporting MAC just simply because I believe in the freeware world MAC is under supported. From an economic stand point once we start selling Plugs, according to some other companies that we're friends with, they have told me that almost 50% of their income is directly MAC related. So economically, and socially we're motivated...

WINE...Interesting, I have a guy that does our wine testing and he assured me that it worked. However, that was version 1.01, so thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that...I must have broke something in later versions..
This is 1.01
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred...te%20Final.rar
KM
Thanks for the reply Ken. Good news and I'm happy to wait patiently. I'll give that older version a whirl in Wine and get back to you.

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #87
JohnnyMcFly

Cool!
KM
Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #88
bennals

1.01 works to some extent in Darwine on my Mac. The audio engine seems good but the GUI is buggy. If I use the native GUI I just get a black screen though I do get the cursor turning into the glove when it hovers over where a knob should be and can operate the knob. When I switch to the generic Reaper UI I get access to what seems like all of the controls but the screen redraw (scrolling, resizing) becomes extremely slow. Still, it's better than nothing and i/o latency is low so I can play it. Bear in mind that I think my version of Darwine is a bit old and screen redraws are pretty slow for any application in it. Sometime soon I'll update that and see what happens.

Oh, and 1.06 freezes Reaper during scan and requires a force quit.

Bill.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #89
JohnnyMcFly

"Oh, and 1.06 freezes Reaper during scan and requires a force quit."

You mean on the MAC right?

KM
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #90
bennals

Yes, sorry, on the Mac running under Darwine.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #91
JohnnyMcFly

haha, I was just about to sound the emergency horn! That issue is already fixed I presume..When I get the next 1.07 Beta complete I'd like you to run it under darwine if you would?
KM
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #92
bennals

Quote:
haha, I was just about to sound the emergency horn! That issue is already fixed I presume..When I get the next 1.07 Beta complete I'd like you to run it under darwine if you would?
KM
Sure, be happy to Ken.

Bill.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #93
JohnnyMcFly

Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and give you an update on the progress of your next installment of Shred...Version 1.09 has just gone into beta and we're working like mad on getting it done...

Here's some pictures of the new stuff that you can expect to see, I'll describe them..

The above image shows the new Dual Cabinets that are built in, and their new control interface. The sliders on the popup control the output volume of each cab, these are not tied to any amplification, its more like a mixing console. There is a pan for each Channel; as well as Phase and Phase adjust. We actually took this phase adjust a step further and made it a stereo imaging control as well, It will help you to increase your perceived stereo spread. You'll also see a Single MIC button, this is actually a little backwards and named wrong, but what this will say when you get it is Stereo Room Mic. This turns the room mic into a stereo mic(the default is mono mic). In stereo room mic mode it acts a little differently in that depending on the size of the room you have setup, it will spread the each channel's room sound across the the stereo spectrum. In mono Room mic mode, the room sound is blended in wherever you have the channel pan setting at.

"Remove FIZZ" has been removed/upgraded.

Instead, you have a user setting option.
This allows YOU to set the Rumble and Fizz removal option if you want to. So, at the top of the Cabinet Control popup window you'll see a couple knobs that allow you to set the tonal correction filters. One is a low pass and one is a high pass. Basically the Low pass filters the fizz, and the High pass filters the rumble. You can set these either by turning the knobs, or by double clicking in the Hz display and typing a value in. The heads still come with their default tonal correction settings and you can choose to use them if you wish. Simply clicking the User settings button on the cabinets turns on the custom user tonal correction settings(these filters)..

Your own cabinets!
I know the question is coming, "Can I load my own cabs in this version?"
Yes you can!

You'll also notice beside the cabinets, 2 led's. Shred now comes with 2 room modeling engines. Series A and Series B. Series A is the newest and an absolute block buster from EXE Consulting. The difference between the two is that Series A can be thought
of as Serial Processed, and Series B can be thought of as Parallel processed. In series A we take the sound of the Cabinet and apply that to the room, in Series B we take the sound of the Head without the Cabinet and apply that to the room, then mix the Cabinet sound in as a whole. Both are good, and can be used, one might be better than the other for certain applications...Either way its just another tonal option for you.

Shred now has Stomps, Rack FX Routing and display graphs!

The stomps
-DISTORTION
-OVERDRIVE with 5 selectable real world MODS
-FUZZ with 5 selectable real world MODS
-DELAY
-AUTO WAH
-PHLANGER(Phaser Flanger hybrid)
-Flapper (Chorus Phaser hybrid)
-Noisegate
-Treble Master

Rack Effects Routing
You can now place your rack effects in any order you wish and we have added a new RACK Effect called the Retro Stereo Chorus. We have also upgraded the Naus and Shiver rack effects to version 2.

You'll also notice on the above image the Tonal Correction Graph. These graphs are available all over, like the tonestack has a graph that will show you what your Tonestack shape looks like, The Naus II filter has a graph to show you what your filter shape looks like, Etc.. We have also made most dials in Shred have a value display so that you can see numerically were you're at. Creature comforts are important..

In my opinion this is the coolest new feature...Read on...

One of the things that people say about computer guitar amps is that they lack the tube compression that a real head has, and, I agree with that statement 100%. Right now, In my opinion, no sim has done this very well, including AcmeBarGig sims.

But hell, you know us, we got an answer for everything! haha

So what we did was once again put the power in your hands to define this compression. We have built in a compressor that you can move around inside the head. Pre-Gain, Post Gain, Pre-Tonestack, Post tone stack, etc. Apply compression to basically anywhere you want.

Now this does not solve the tube compression question, but it does give you an option that as far as I know, you can't get anywhere else, commercial or freeware sim. Lucky this is freeware eh? Anyways I believe this is a step in the right direction towards answering the tube compression question. Hopefully you will find it useful, I know I do..

You can also now move your tonestack, it can be before the gain stage or after. You will find this helpful...and..we will be adding 2 additional heads to Shred 1.09, the Mahakali and the Skull Digger Both extremely versatile very similar to a Mark IV and a moded Plexi..

Anyways, thats the last freeware version of Shred, The next version will be a commercial product with more of everything you've seen.

I know you're gonna ask, The cost has not changed the full commercial version will still only be 25 dollars USF

KM
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #94
Tedwood

Wow!

You have really excelled with this Ken. This is looking unbeatable

I can't wait!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #95
bennals

Ready and waiting to try it in wine on OSX

Bill.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #96
EvilDragon

I can't believe the full version will be only $25!

Ken, one question - will the full version come with older ABG heads, or will it have an option of loading those? You know, what was supposed to be HeadCase, could in fact turn out to be Shred, innit?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #97
Dali

FUZZ !!!

Yeeee-Ha !

Additional question Ken... Can the Auto-Wah be turned into "manual" Wah ? I still have that FCB1010 that need some abuse from a Wah...

My 25$ is ready.

Dali
Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #98
EvilDragon

Good idea about manual wah. Also, how about envelope followed wah (Mutron)?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #99
kindafishy

Ken, this update looks awesome. Waaaaayyy too complex for a plug-n-player like myself so I will be waiting patiently (yeah, right) for Tedwood to put up some presets (not so subtle hint). Actually, I guess that prompts a question, Ken. Will you be including any new presets that take full advantage of the new features?

Wicked!
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #100
JohnnyMcFly

Presets, OMG We are going to go insane with presets, I am shooting for 1,000 for this one...Not sure if We'll make it or not, If they are not use-able, we don't include them. This will also have our new preset handling functions which are 100% File based capable of handling tens of thousands of presets in each category, I believe there will be 10 categories.

Too Complex? Click and go?

Manual Wah...
Well if I can once again find the time to get my FCB1010 to work we would already have that functionality..So, at this point all I can say is I'll try..

Dali, FUZZ with Mods!
As I mentioned here before, I want to try and find a way of allowing you control over the inside workings of the stomps and effects as well. These stomps represent the first generation of that. Not all of them have mods, but the Pickassso over drive does, that has mostly tonal mods, whereas the fuzz has actual clipper and tonal mods..Like the Triangle mod and the pi, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Evil Dragon, we have already started work on our next Suite which is the Preampus Suite, that will contain the older heads as well as new ones...

Bennals, once we're successful at running this in OSX can we do up a document showing the steps needed to run it?

Tedwood, Thanks

KM
Old 03-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #101
Tedwood

We always knew this would be a tweakers paradise - I know the presets I tried were somewhere between astonishing and "what would you use that for?", but i also have to confess to being an old fart.

I am still a great fan of your Series 60, I think all the parts are there, but I wish I knew how to dial them in - I kid you not, I am convinced it sounds better than any amp I ever owned.

Too complex? - not if you don't give a shit, or you know exactly what you are doing. Anything in between and you got a learning curve, never mind, it won't hurt you.

I love what you have been doing Ken, I think you should be nominated for the Softas - along with REAPER and bootsy (feel free to add more nominees folks)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #102
kindafishy

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it is too complex to use. It's not. That's the beauty of it! It is as simple or complex to use as you want it to be.

Ken, I think I found a bug. I tried to do a stem render of a track and it wasn't lined up properly. It was a few milliseconds late. Here's a screen that shows my original track, a stem render through Amplitube Fender and a stem render through Shred. Sorry if this has been reported. I'm on 1.06.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #103
J Kennedy

Ken,

Thanks for looking at compression (and a movable compressor)in with Shred. This will very much expand the quality and scope, and IMO has been a needed missing link in your work.

Hope you still got the old school Ghetto Bass on the back burner somewhere. Any chance of getting it as a rack unit in Shred?

Awesome work, as always.

John
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #104
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks guys, I may seem like a moron here, thats because I actually am! But, please edumacate me...What is a Stem Render??

Ted, what happened to the PAGET? That is the Series 60 with the requests you and Happy monkey made..Lower gain, etc..I just can't remember where we left that off? Was I supposed to do something additional to it?

KM
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #105
bennals

Quote:
Bennals, once we're successful at running this in OSX can we do up a document showing the steps needed to run it?
KM
No worries. It's pretty straightforward from memory.

Bill.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #106
Dali

Ken, once 1.09 is up, make a new thread like this:

"No-brainer deal on Shred, free!"

Wouhaha...

Humm... Maybe not that funny.

I almost feel 1.09 will be a steal. Make it already a paid software. I got the impression I'm screwing you.

As for the FCB1010, try Ripwerks to manage it. It's not that difficult.

Dali
Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #107
kindafishy

Quote:
Thanks guys, I may seem like a moron here, thats because I actually am! But, please edumacate me...What is a Stem Render??[...]
I don't think anyone would ever accuse you of being a moron, Ken. If you've never done it, you can't possibly know what it is. It is basically how REAPER freezes a track.

- Load up REAPER.
- Record a guitar track with Shred (or put Shred on after, I guess).
- Right click on the track in the track control panel and choose the 'Render selected tracks to stem tracks (and mute originals)' or 'Render selected tracks to mono stem tracks (and mute originals)'. I did a mono render.
- Compare the original track to the stem render. If I'm not nuts, you will see that the render is late as I pointed out.

Shred sounds great, by the way. Starting from the Lainee presets is working very well for my style (sloppy, raw and crappy).
Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #108
JohnnyMcFly

Ahh ok its a freeze...I understand, wonder why it would be late though...Is this repeatable? and do you know if the Pickup replacer was on? That causes a serious latency, luckily that will be fixed in 1.09B

Dali, thanks for the tip...

Benalls Great!
KM
Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #109
matey

Ken,
can't wait to check it out... thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #110
JohnnyMcFly

I'm looking forward to releasing too. The minutes are getting closer and closer to my great big STEAK and HUMONGOUS LOBSTER! Believe me, after almost exclusively eating Stew and casserole for over a year, I really really want to get this thing finished, and, sell some. The first thing I'm gonna do is buy Steak, lobster and 24 beers...Park my butt in a lawn chair and become a blabbering idiot! You know, I think I'm gonna name the last head, Head #25 "The Blabbering Idiot"...Nice...

KM
Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #111
EvilDragon

You're an absolutely crazy guy, Ken

Good luck with your products, you're doing good to the musician community

Too bad Shred won't be able to load Preampus heads - to have an all-in-one grand product would certainly be a kick in the pants to the "big guys".

BTW, you didn't comment about having Mutron in Shred
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #112
matey

Quote:
The first thing I'm gonna do is buy Steak, lobster and 24 beers...KM
really hope you will buy the whole restaurant at the corner as soon as possible...
Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #113
Tedwood

Quote:

Ted, what happened to the PAGET? That is the Series 60 with the requests you and Happy monkey made..Lower gain, etc..I just can't remember where we left that off? Was I supposed to do something additional to it?

KM
A misunderstanding I think Ken - Paget was fine as I recall, it's just that I have saved some chains with the Series 60 - it's just easy for me to remember.
the S60 will be the last thing I ever delete from my VST folder - seriously.

I was just wondering how I might get the same parts from Shred - if at all?

.......Blabbering Idiot Twin......now that would be cool
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #114
kindafishy

Quote:
Ahh ok its a freeze...I understand, wonder why it would be late though...Is this repeatable? and do you know if the Pickup replacer was on? That causes a serious latency, luckily that will be fixed in 1.09B[...]
Happens every time. Not sure about the pickup replacer. The preset that I was on is Lainee Custom Franken.

I don't have any thoughts as to why it might be late. Perhaps one of the REAPER devs or other VST builders around here have some insight into this.

Any chance of the presets being sorted in alphabetical order? It would also be really nice if the preset window was resizable (or at least bigger).
Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #115
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Happens every time. Not sure about the pickup replacer. The preset that I was on is Lainee Custom Franken.

I don't have any thoughts as to why it might be late. Perhaps one of the REAPER devs or other VST builders around here have some insight into this.

Any chance of the presets being sorted in alphabetical order? It would also be really nice if the preset window was resizable (or at least bigger).
I have the same issue with boogex, but the delay/latency is a lot smaller - enough to shift a bass track out of phase though...
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #116
bennals

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I have the same issue with boogex, but the delay/latency is a lot smaller - enough to shift a bass track out of phase though...
And I've just seen it now rendering a take with Tritone Digital's Colortone. Tiny offset, but it's definitely there. The Tritone plugs seem to have had latency reporting issues in the past too. Could that be the problem?

Bill.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #117
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Have you guys tried recording dry - adding boogex - and rendering FX ( with delay compensated) ?

Not trying to be clever but that's how I do it and I haven't noticed any delay
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #118
JohnnyMcFly

We'll be looking into this for sure, I would do it now but I'm in development mode...

Tedwood, the same parts from Shred...
Well the key to S60 is its massive poweramp, so the largest poweramp in Shred 1.06 is enthalpos median, and it has a Large Gain stage, so in Shred that would be the Shred head itself. As for tonestack, I would use the Quarter Bass knob, Shred Mid, Honken Treble and Presence Cut. Tonal Correction is going to be Honken or Quarter...That should get something similar, but in S60 we're also doing something with dynamics based on how hard you pick, so that whole dynamic portion will be missing.

Thanks Guys
KM
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #119
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Have you guys tried recording dry - adding boogex - and rendering FX ( with delay compensated) ?

Not trying to be clever but that's how I do it and I haven't noticed any delay
Happy to try this with Shred to see if it makes a difference.

My recording is dry and I have Shred added. How do I render FX with delay compensated? I am having a hard time finding anything related to delay compensation (sorry).
Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #120
Tedwood

oops - sorry I should have said "record output" not "render"