Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Clegs
Human being with feelings

Default Copying a take to another occupied take area.

Example:
-I have gtr parts in two different chorus sections.
-One section has 1 take, the other has 2 takes.
-I want to copy one of the takes from the 2 take chorus, to the chorus with 1 take and retain the current take in the 1 take chorus.
-I can't figure out how to open up another take/area in the 1 take chorus to copy the take from the 2 take chorus.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Clegs; 05-24-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Clegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
James HE

there is as action "Paste as takes in items" search for it in the action list.

however, there doesn't seem to be a "copy active take" action - so we might have to script something here - or just go "old school" and make a custom action, if you are comfortable making custom actions, this should be easy for you.

untested, and I'm guessing a bit at the action names, but I'm 90% sure this should work.

Custom action: copy active take. (be sure to consolidate undo points)

(Make sure the take you want to paste is active)
Take: crop to active take:
edit: copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus)
edit: undo *(i think you just need one here here as I don't think the copy action makes an undo point, if not run this twice)

after that you then use the "paste as takes action" into the other item.

if this doesn't work let me know, or I'm sure someone will be by with a better solution.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Clegs

Thanks for the tip. Not sure I truely understand the "crop to active take" and "paste as takes action" functions. I'll study then try it and let you know.

Perhaps another work around is to select the take with 1 take in it and record nothing and create another comp. Then slip edit the blank area to nothing, then copy the take in the 2 take chorus and paste it into the newly created take area. Then perhaps delete the blank take.

There ought to be an easier way to do this, like to just create another take lane in the desired area, then paste the copied take there.

Last edited by Clegs; 05-24-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Clegs

Another alternative to my work around in the last entry:
Use "duplicate active take" instead of recording a new take on the chorus-1 take with only 1 take in it. Then slip edit that duplicate down in size and paste the take from chorus-2 in the space and delete the duplicated item. Now I have retained the original take and have the pasted take from the other chorus to A/B.

Still, I can see me wanting to do this often and I'll bet there's a better solution.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Goldreap

You can't actually move takes around individually, but you can 'explode' them into separate movable items, then 'implode' back into takes.
Select the 2-take item. Right click> Take> Explode all takes to new tracks. Now the two takes have become two items (on the new tracks). Move the one you want to 'merge', lining it up in position under the original track. Select both it and the original 1-take item> right click> Take> Implode items across tracks into takes.
Bit fiddly but works... there's probably other ways to do it.
But I just noticed that to toggle from take 1 to take 2 (on the new 2-take item) I can't use the 'clicking on the take name at the bottom of the window' method...other methods work, like right click> Take> 'Next take' . Seems like a bug? (I should make a separate topic about that)

Last edited by Goldreap; 05-25-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Goldreap

Another way is to explode in place, then enable free item positioning (TCP right click), copy the desired item to the desired location, then 'implode items on same track into takes'...keeps it all on the same track, but you have to adjust the size of the destination item (or something)...fiddly as well.

Last edited by Goldreap; 05-25-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Clegs

An update from more experience:

1. Copy the item/take you want to copy to another place (chorus or whatever) that is already occupied by an item/take that I don't want to delete.
2. Turn ripple edit on and paste take being copied/moved to after the item you want to retain. (ripple edit will make room for it and move items following it over).
3. Select the retained and moved/copied items an implode to a new take. The moved take will create another take lane under the retained take and ripple edit will move back and fill the gap.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Clegs

Default 2 Methods That Work for Adding a take to another occupied take area.

After experimenting, I found 2 methods that work.

Restatement of goal:

To Add/copy one take in a lane with one or many takes in it (call it #1),
to another take lane or area (call it #2) without altering the take(s) currently in lane #2.
Example used in illustration: The chorus from take lane #1, to the chorus of take lane #2.

Important: Before doing this, you must turn off (uncheck) Trim Content Behind Media Item When Editing (in the Crossfade Disable/Inable tool button), or else the methods won't work.

Method 1:

1. Create a new track.
2. Select a take in take lane #1 and copy (note, you can't copy just one take from the lane; the whole lane copies).
3. Paste takes in lane #1 into new track (right below the original take lane is best to keep you oriented). Note: You can just Ctrl/drag to copy if you wish.
4. In the new track, select the take you want to keep, then Take>Crop To Active Take. This will leave only the take you want to add/copy to take lane #2.
5. Copy that isolated take in the new track.
6. Go to the take lane #2 (where you want to add the take) and select any take in that lane, then in the Take menu, Take>Paste To Takes In Items.
This will add the take to take lane #2.

Method 2 (probably best if you have only 1 or 2 takes in take lane #1):

1. Select take in take lane #1 and copy (note, you can't copy just one take from the lane; the whole lane copies).
2. Go to the take lane #2 (where you want to add the take) and select any take in that lane, then in the Take menu, Take>Paste To Takes In Items.
This will add the take to take lane #2.
3. Since all the takes in take lane #1 will have been added to take lane #2, you must delete them by selecting them one at a time (making it the active take), then Take>Delete Active Take.
This deleting of the extra added takes while they are already in take lane #2 can be a bit confusing if there are a lot of takes. In that case Method 1 would be a better choice.

Thanks to one of Kenny G's videos for sparking the ideas for these methods.