Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.13+dev0808 - August 8 2020

v6.13+dev0808 - August 8 2020
  • + FX shortcuts: allow more than 100 actions, use registered action IDs for new shortcuts to improve portability across systems
  • + MIDI: allow forcing each device control messages to a particular channel
  • + Media explorer: clear preview playback when changing selection in browser
  • + Media explorer: support options to display leading path, full path, or no path
  • # Area selection: add mouse modifiers to create area selection via left-drag over empty track space or media items
  • # Area selection: adjust project length after area selection paste [p=2329224]
  • # Media explorer: make "show" options more accessible
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
_Stevie_

# Area selection: add mouse modifiers to create area selection via left-drag over empty track space or media items

I just shed a tear, thank you devs!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
# Area selection: add mouse modifiers to create area selection via left-drag over empty track space or media items

i am not sure .. sounds complex .. all or nothing is what i would expect... Unless this is a step to give another one in a proper direction , .. here we go to spaguetti if then else workflow
Old 08-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
denmla

Quote:

Same here...

But is there an option I'm missing out on to select all items within area selection and to set time selection to area selection outer edges?

I'd like to emulate Ableton Live type item/time selection with area selection tool so I can extend multiple items at the same time etc.

Ofcourse, all in the same drag...

1. Create Area selection(s)
2. Auto-select all items/env. points/env. clips etc. within time selection
3. Set time-selection to outer edgs of Area selection(s)

For me personally, that would be a way to use left-drag exclusively....

Last edited by denmla; 08-08-2020 at 10:58 AM.
denmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
cool

Quote:
Thank you, devs!
But I noticed one peculiarity. If the AS is assigned to the left drag with the mouse on the "bottom half of the item", then my actions associated with the left mouse click on the bottom half of the item stop working. Bug or feature?

P.S.
Oh, this seems to be true for more than just the bottom half of the item. In Arrange View, the actions of clicking the left mouse button also sometimes do not work if the AS is assigned to the left drag with the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmla View Post
Same here...

But is there an option I'm missing out on to select all items within area selection and to set time selection to area selection outer edges?

I'd like to emulate Ableton Live type item/time selection with area selection tool so I can extend multiple items at the same time etc.

Ofcurse, all int he same drag...

1. Create Area selection(s)
2. Auto-select all items/env. points/env. clips etc. within time selection
3. Copy time-selection to outer edgs of Area selection

For me personally, that wuld be a way to use left-drag exclusively....

I think it would be handy to have an area selection when moving the mouse along the ruler at the top, when the area selection would occur through all the tracks. This would be a good alternative to classic time selection and would give the advantage of area selection - the ability to edit the area.

Last edited by cool; 08-08-2020 at 11:13 AM.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
bolgwrad

Quote:

Yep, with Alt + 'Media Item Left Drag' (top half) set to 'Select Area', the only difference between TS and AS is now the Alt key. Feels like I've been doing it for years.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
svijayrathinam

i found a bug. .

Envelope: Hide all envelopes for all tracks action disarms an active armed envelope when the envelope has some envelope points. Can you pls take a look at this ?

P.S : The same action works fine when the envelope has no points and clean. the problem only occurs when there is existing automation envelope points

Update : The Bug Happens only when "allow writing automation in hidden envelope" is disabled in preferences

Last edited by svijayrathinam; 08-08-2020 at 11:46 AM.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
rasmusmarshagen

YES!!! Thank You devs
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Win Conway

Oh look they added an option for the user to choose the way they want to work, never would of guessed, panic over now? lol.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.13+dev0808 - August 8 2020
[*]# Area selection: add mouse modifiers to create area selection via left-drag over empty track space or media items
Thank you very much!
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
n997

Quote:
Thank you developers! I'm using this with "Track/left drag" and "Media item bottom half/left drag". It works well so far - also with a pencil

EDIT:
--------------

After further testing, it seems that differentiation between click and drag when using a pencil is problematic after all.

This is related to Area selection. When Area selection is set to be activated via left drag, clicks with tiny movement between mousedown and mouseup are interpreted as dragging.

The noticeable symptom of this is that when "Track/left drag" > "Default action" is set to "Area selection", and "Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection" is on, sometimes clicking on a track does not select it and instead initiates dragging.
If snapping is off, tiny Area selections can become visible - and if snapping is on, then depending on snapping settings, sometimes clicking a track results in neither track being selected nor Area selection being created.

That does not happen when Marquee selection is set to be activated via left drag. In that case, clicking on a track always selects it.

---------------
EDIT2: This appears to have been changed for better in dev0809.
---------------

To further improve workflow with those settings, I suggest adding a new context: "Media item bottom half edge/left drag". When that would be set to Area selection, it would allow consistently reserving bottom half of items for Area selection.

In any case, this is yet another amazing improvement to our workflows - thanks again!

A tip for other users of [Area selection via left drag on track and item bottom half] configuration:
for better visual indication of wherefrom Area selection activates, edit your item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png files to indicate bottom half of item.

Last edited by n997; 08-09-2020 at 05:02 PM.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #12
Funkybot

Appreciate Area Select being added to left drag but can we also get the Add to Area Selection action?
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #13
jrengmusic

Quote:
Awesome, this is heading to the right direction.

Thanks Devs!
Old 08-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
heda

bug when CTRL+drag to copy AS.
Notice that Track 1 is hidden in TCP. That causes the bug.

Also... is it possible to copy midi as pooled items when copying AS?

Last edited by heda; 08-08-2020 at 06:07 PM.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #15
svijayrathinam

It would be good to have a double click in area selection content. So that in would be useful to have actions like “insert 2 envelope points at area selection” , “ insert 4 envelope points at area selection “ etc.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Klangfarben

Quote:
Holy flying spaghetti monster! This is fantastic. Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Appreciate Area Select being added to left drag but can we also get the Add to Area Selection action?
At the risk of sounding greedy, this would make a lot of sense.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
ferropop

Devs, any consideration for selected track tinting during Area Selection?

Really struggling to accurately move selections to their destination, it's just so difficult to eyeball without any guidance (esp cross-screen or if duplicating vertically).

Even the usual guidelines (like when moving media items) would be a tremendous help. Leveraging the new tinting would be even better.

Last edited by ferropop; 08-08-2020 at 11:02 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #18
Win Conway

Using AS for sound design is super quick, but it begs for a "Play Area Selection" action.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #19
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Really struggling to accurately move selections to their destination, it's just so difficult to eyeball without any guidance (esp cross-screen or if duplicating vertically).

Even the usual guidelines (like when moving media items) would be a tremendous help. Leveraging the new tinting would be even better.

For this we need the option to lock vertical movement, not more tinting. Not sure, perhaps it's already implemented.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #20
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
For this we need the option to lock vertical movement, not more tinting. Not sure, perhaps it's already implemented.
Agreed, but when duplicating in the vertical direction it's still really essential to easily see what track you are duplicating to. When moving Media Items, we get at least get the horizontal guidelines that you can trace back to the TCP...with Area Selection currently there's no feedback at all.

You're blindly dropping the area vertically to a track that you hope is the correct one -- or resorting to manual methods (vertically tracing your finger from the TCP to the intended drop location). Avoiding using your hands on a screen seems paramount to good usability design.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 AM   #21
daniellumertz

Bug Area Selection between projects:

If the copied project have Time Signature Changes the area selection when pasted is screwed.

the items comes good tho....

thx for the update
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:23 AM   #22
Win Conway

Docker tabs are still acting strange, not hiding and then hiding.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:07 AM   #23
rasmusmarshagen

Default TOOLTIP

One feature I would like to see in area selection is a tooltip showing the location you are moving/copying from and the destination. Like in time selection copy/move. But IF splitting occurs- then the Start split location would be the start location in the tooltip, and not the start of the item like it is on time selection move/copy. Maybe that is a bug I don’t know. Thanks!
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:10 AM   #24
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmusmarshagen View Post
One feature I would like to see in area selection is a tooltip showing the location you are moving/copying from and the destination. Like in time selection copy/move. But IF splitting occurs- then the Start split location would be the start location in the tooltip, and not the start of the item like it is on time selection move/copy. Maybe that is a bug I don’t know. Thanks!
Yeap but also to show the values on the transport like time selection does, it should swap values each time we use time selection or area selection.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:25 AM   #25
Mercado_Negro

It's nice to see we can select area now with left-drag and it's mapped by default to Opt but how can I select several areas one after the other? The previous area disappears when I try to select another.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:37 AM   #26
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
It's nice to see we can select area now with left-drag and it's mapped by default to Opt but how can I select several areas one after the other? The previous area disappears when I try to select another.
True, add to area selection is not yet supported for left-drag, only for right-drag in arrange context.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:32 AM   #27
Tale

Default Rogue APEv2 tag added to MP3

When I render an MP3 with embedded metadata a rogue APEv2 tag gets written along with the ID3v2 tag. This doesn't happen with v6.13, and it would seem that the issue was introduced in v6.12+dev0624.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load atatched Test.rpp project.
2. Render Test.mp3.
3. Load Test.mp3 in your player of choice (or view it in a hex editor), and notice APEv2 (APET) tag.
4. Install v6.13 (or v6.12+dev0622), and repeat steps 1..3, but now notice there is no APEv2 tag.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Test.rpp (3.0 KB, 151 views)
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #28
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
When I render an MP3 with embedded metadata a rogue APEv2 tag gets written along with the ID3v2 tag. This doesn't happen with v6.13, and it would seem that the issue was introduced in v6.12+dev0624.]
Title, date, and time metadata are added automatically. We'll add an option for this.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #29
Klangfarben

Quote:

I would very much be in favor of this and it seems natural and intuitive to me. It makes sense to use the new track tinting for this.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #30
_Stevie_

Quote:
Agreed, but when duplicating in the vertical direction it's still really essential to easily see what track you are duplicating to. When moving Media Items, we get at least get the horizontal guidelines that you can trace back to the TCP...with Area Selection currently there's no feedback at all.

You're blindly dropping the area vertically to a track that you hope is the correct one -- or resorting to manual methods (vertically tracing your finger from the TCP to the intended drop location). Avoiding using your hands on a screen seems paramount to good usability design.
I actually suggested some pres before that guides (the ones we have when moving items) would be great.
But vertical locking on move would also be a solution or even tinting.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #31
Funkybot

Quote:
I actually suggested some pres before that guides (the ones we have when moving items) would be great.
But vertical locking on move would also be a solution or even tinting.
My preference would be [optional - God forbid everything didn't have an option around here ] horizontal and vertical guides/crosshairs whenever moving an object in arrange view. Crosshairs could be nice because 2 crosshairs, one at the top left of the area selection bounds, and another at the bottom right, could accomplish the task and also work for time select, item select, etc.

That said, looking at that .gif, I really don't see an issue. Seems pretty clear when things got nudged up IMO.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #32
Shootkin

Default Area Selection left drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]# Area selection: add mouse modifiers to create area selection via left-drag over empty track space or media items
OMG. Why not to add Area Selection left-drags to "Media item bottom half" context??? It would be like in every other DAWs and tool-less and as the Reaper Way of doing things? Apologies. I am disappointed.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
Shootkin

Default Area Selection left drag

After 30 minutes of fiddling with Area Selection and new contexts I'd say now it is better yes but not so much. It reminds me a nightmare times with Digital Performer))) Actually, I would discard for good the Time Selection at all — who in needs that shit? Make area selections in Tracks. Make it on Items BOTTOM HALF level or what not. If you need a Time selection — just area-select it dragging on top of the the ruller! PROFIT)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #34
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootkin View Post
After 30 minutes of fiddling with Area Selection and new contexts I'd say now it is better yes but not so much. It reminds me a nightmare times with Digital Performer))) Actually, I would discard for good the Time Selection at all — who in needs that shit? Make area selections in Tracks. Make it on Items BOTTOM HALF level or what not. If you need a Time selection — just area-select it dragging on top of the the ruller! PROFIT)
I agree that would be way more intuitive...

Time Select = Click and drag on ruler
Area Select = Click and drag on arrange
Old 08-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #35
planetnine

Marquee select..?

>
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #36
juan_r

Quote:
I agree that would be way more intuitive...

Time Select = Click and drag on ruler
Area Select = Click and drag on arrange
I agree with this: myself, I always time-select in the ruler area.

However, I'm afraid that implementing this suggestion could be disruptive to ingrained workflow for other users, so it's probably not going to happen.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #37
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I would very much be in favor of this and it seems natural and intuitive to me. It makes sense to use the new track tinting for this.
I disagree. Arrange background tinting is for identifying SELECTED tracks. If you want guidelines, the natural thing is to reuse the guidelines for media item movement, but perhaps using another colour.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #38
_Stevie_

Quote:
My preference would be [optional - God forbid everything didn't have an option around here ] horizontal and vertical guides/crosshairs whenever moving an object in arrange view. Crosshairs could be nice because 2 crosshairs, one at the top left of the area selection bounds, and another at the bottom right, could accomplish the task and also work for time select, item select, etc.

That said, looking at that .gif, I really don't see an issue. Seems pretty clear when things got nudged up IMO.
For the case shown in the GIF the current behavior is totally fine. But imagine you want to move / copy stuff out of the current view (many bars later), then you completely lost the context of the original position.

I guess ideal would be vertical lock (that would imply a mouse modifier) or crosshair cursors, that indicate when the original vertical position has changed. A simple example: the vertical guides would turn red, when the position has changed and turn back green when they are back at the original position.
Red and green is just for the sake of demonstration. Could be something else, of course.

Additionally, that behavior would also be great for moving items.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #39
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Doesn't make sense to me. We just got selected track background colors and now they should already be repurposed to be guidelines for the AS moves? If one must, I could understand changing the track selection based on AS. But I can see how that would not be liked either in every case, unless you can opt out of it.

Guidelines like what the item moves already have sounds better to me.

---
edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootkin View Post
Why not to add Area Selection left-drags to "Media item bottom half" context???
Because it would just be confusing. Oh well, like n997 points out later, that is already possible. I'll have to take the foot from my mouth and see how confusing it actually is...

Last edited by xpander; 08-09-2020 at 03:35 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #40
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I agree with this: myself, I always time-select in the ruler area.

However, I'm afraid that implementing this suggestion could be disruptive to ingrained workflow for other users, so it's probably not going to happen.
Oh, I know. Any change like that would likely cause a revolt around some parts of the forum, but doesn't mean it's a bad idea.