Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #241
europa_man
Human being with feelings

Default Thank you for the new Videos!

Hi Kenny, Your videos on Reaper have been a true inspiration! Your easy teaching style & exceptional knowledge is deeply appreciated. Every time I'm stuck, I run back to your lessons. I've been recording on Roland VS machines for years & have backlog of material to mix. With Reaper 32 bit I can load in my VS recorded tracks & start mixing. It takes me a few steps before I can get started. I open up all the tracks in Reaper & then render them to wave files. Once I setup a new project with the correct tempo I insert all my waves files. Your videos have been invaluable to me to understand the software. I'm a old CW Pro Audio ver 9 user for years & finally took the plunge to learn this software. Could you please include a lesson on syncing with Reaper. I've had some success sync the VS-1680 to Reaper but it's been hit or miss. When I've successful it's great to play tracks from Reaper & the VS-1680 together. Very smooth. Please include this subject in your next tutorial. More about midi would be exciting too.
Keep up the excellent work. We are counting on you!
Regards, Eric
Nova Scotia

Last edited by europa_man; 08-03-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: misspelling
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #242
Kenny Gioia

Thank you soo much.

It means a lot to me.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #243
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Hi Kenny, Your videos on Reaper have been a true inspiration! Your easy teaching style & exceptional knowledge is deeply appreciated. Every time I'm stuck, I run back to your lessons. I've been recording on Roland VS machines for years & have backlog of material to mix. With Reaper 32 bit I can load in my VS recorded tracks & start mixing. It takes me a few steps before I can get started. I open up all the tracks in Reaper & then render them to wave files. Once I setup a new project with the correct tempo I insert all my waves files. Your videos have been invaluable to me to understand the software. I'm a old CW Pro Audio ver 9 user for years & finally took the plunge to learn this software. Could you please include a lesson on syncing with Reaper. I've had some success sync the VS-1680 to Reaper but it's been hit or miss. When I've successful it's great to play tracks from Reaper & the VS-1680 together. Very smooth. Please include this subject in your next tutorial. More about midi would be exciting too.
Keep up the excellent work. We are counting on you!
Regards, Eric
Nova Scotia

I'm right there with you. I've still got a fully loaded VS-1680 in mint condition with old tracks on it.

BTW, I highly recommend the years pass for the Groove3 website. In addition to the Reaper vids, there's tons of other vids to learn from. Well worth the money.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #244
europa_man

Default Split Audio - malfunction!

I've been experiencing a weird thing when splitting audio. I want to clean up my tracks as Kenny says. When I split an audio track (S key) and do my fades the audio after the split is Muted. The audio before the split plays fine but the split audio after the split is done won't play.
Is there a hidden menu somewhere that is causing this. It's driving me mad.

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #245
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
I've been experiencing a weird thing when splitting audio. I want to clean up my tracks as Kenny says. When I split an audio track (S key) and do my fades the audio after the split is Muted. The audio before the split plays fine but the split audio after the split is done won't play.
Is there a hidden menu somewhere that is causing this. It's driving me mad.

Thanks
Eric
Is it muted or just not playing?

Is it grayed out?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #246
europa_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Is it muted or just not playing?

Is it grayed out?

Hi Kenny

It looks OK. It's not grayed out.
I might have used the wrong term.
Just no audio playing?

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #247
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Hi Kenny

It looks OK. It's not grayed out.
I might have used the wrong term.
Just no audio playing?

Thanks
Eric
I really have no idea what would be causing this.

Try asking a new question in the forum. Maybe someone else has experienced something similar.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #248
europa_man

Quote:

Try asking a new question in the forum. Maybe someone else has experienced something similar.
This has got me stumped too. It's got be one of the easiest "Edits" to do in Reaper. I've bouncing back & forth between my laptop & desktop in the studio. It's the laptop that I'm using that's experiencing this problem. This is one I watch & study your videos on and then test out what I'm learning. I will try the desktop tonight to see if the same thing is happening. Thanks for your concern. The learning curve is starting to straighten out. The fog is lifting!
Thanks so much.
Eric

Last edited by europa_man; 09-09-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 09-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #249
dagovitsj

Default Possible to extract a groove/apply groove?

@ Kenny: Thanks a lot for these very useful videos. I use Cubase for drum editing and multitrack quantization, but now I can use Reaper too! Great tutorials about the stretching function in Reaper + the info about the frame/video-function.

Question to thread followers:
1) Is there a way to apply a groove/feeling to a group of live drums (as in the stretching video) as one can do in Cubase 6.5.?

2) Is there a way to extract a groove from a multitrack drum group and save it as a groove preset?

Thanks in advance!
| Win 10 - 64bit | Reaper 5.x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:32 GB | CPU: Intel Core i7 3,3 GHz | Samsung SSD 860 (1 TB) | Western Digital Black harddisks | Graphics Card: Gigabyte 9800 GT Silent Cell | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |
dagovitsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #250
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagovitsj View Post

1) Is there a way to apply a groove/feeling to a group of live drums (as in the stretching video) as one can do in Cubase 6.5.?

2) Is there a way to extract a groove from a multitrack drum group and save it as a groove preset?

Thanks in advance!
SWS Groove Tool
Old 09-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #251
House W.

Default What happend to media explorer????

I just downloaded the update and to my disappointment I can't find the media explorer anywhere. I lock to dock it at the bottom of the screen with other go to window that I use regularly ...it's kind of a BIG part of my workflow.

I hope it's just user error and that feature wasn't removed.

If anyone can help me out with this little issue I'd appreciate it A LOT.

Thank you.
House W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #252
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by House W. View Post
I just downloaded the update and to my disappointment I can't find the media explorer anywhere. I lock to dock it at the bottom of the screen with other go to window that I use regularly ...it's kind of a BIG part of my workflow.

I hope it's just user error and that feature wasn't removed.

If anyone can help me out with this little issue I'd appreciate it A LOT.

Thank you.
Does nothing happen when you go View->Media Explorer from the main menu? Or press Ctrl Alt X all together?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #253
dagovitsj

@ EpicSounds: Thanks, gonna check it out!
| Win 10 - 64bit | Reaper 5.x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:32 GB | CPU: Intel Core i7 3,3 GHz | Samsung SSD 860 (1 TB) | Western Digital Black harddisks | Graphics Card: Gigabyte 9800 GT Silent Cell | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |
dagovitsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #254
House W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Does nothing happen when you go View->Media Explorer from the main menu? Or press Ctrl Alt X all together?
No it does nothing when I press Ctrl Alt X and Media Explore was missing from the View menu.
The latter is what raised concern.

I hope it's just a glitch and not something permanent.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #255
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by House W. View Post
... I hope it's just a glitch and not something permanent.
Run Reaper's installer again and be sure that the option to install Media Explorer is checked (listed under "additional functionality").

Look for any other options and be sure they were installed also.

Hope that takes care of it!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #256
House W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Run Reaper's installer again and be sure that the option to install Media Explorer is checked (listed under "additional functionality").

Thank a ton (or should I say tone :-)) bluzkat! I'll try that when I'm back at my desk.

This is the best community around :-)

Happy creating!

Last edited by House W.; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #257
House W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post

Hey bluzkat, your advise was spot on!
Thanks dude!! :-)

Also when messing around with REAPER yesterday I found out that you can change the theme on the fly, just hold down Ctrl+Alt+Page up (or down) I don't know if this is common knowledge or naw. I'm still fairly new to REAPER:-).

Hope this helps someone👍. Happy creating!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #258
europa_man

Default Found Problem

Quote:

Hi Kenny, I believe I've found the solution to my problem. All the audio files I've been mixing have been imported into Reaper from backup copies of Roland VS-880 & VS-1680 audio files. They show up in the Media project bay as VR9 files. Reaper has a reapervs.dll file that makes this possible. That's another story. This process was impossible in the early years of the VS units but was solved by a guy named Randy Gordon. What I didn't realize was that these VR9 have to be "rendered" into waves immediately to make them stable & usable. I soon found out that all my mixing was in vain because after closing the session & re-opening the project - the files won't play. Everything looked OK but no sound. This solution just popped into my head after many hours of frustration & weird behavior with Reaper. I kept studying your videos & after about a month of trying different solutions it seems to be the answer to my problem. I even went out and bought a Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 which works great with Reaper because I thought my sound card was bad. So a lot of good has come out of this trial. I'm now mixing these tracks and getting somewhere at last.
Your videos continue to keep me on track & advancing!
Your teaching style is the best!
Regards,
Eric
Nova Scotia
Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #259
Gerry

Thanks Kenny been late in getting this due to Hard Drive replacement and a heart attack LOL No excuses I know but Your Reaper 4 Explained is still my go to reference for all things Reaper. Just wish you had used a Windows PC :-)

Oh and Kenny if you have any ideas on this give me a hand please http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=163306

Many thanks for all your great work,

Gerry