Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
DragSweep
Human being with feelings

Default Alternative to VAC?

I'm trying to salvage about 10 years worth of old songs/fragments/etc from my days writing on an Amiga 500. Getting them to the PC wasn't a problem. Now getting them into REAPER intact is another story.

I'm running MED (the tracker) inside WinUAE (Amiga Emulator), and I'm trying to tap the outputs to record into REAPER. I'm using MIDI Yoke and can grab the MIDI easily.

The problem is capturing the audio signals. I have tried Virtual Audio Cable, but I'm frankly a frugal/cheap/tightwad and don't want to spend the money for something I only need for a few weeks. (And since the trial version drops the word "trial" all over the stream, it's useless as is).

I have also checked out WinUAE, and it does NOT support ASIO, so I can't use ReaRoute.

I really only need to capture one stereo audio feed out of WinUAE into REAPER at the same time I'm capturing the MIDI (with MIDI Yoke).

Are there any (preferably freeware or non-crippled trial) alternatives to Virtual Audio Cable?

Thanks!
Paul.
DragSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
dub3000

under winuae's output options screen, you can select an AVI recording of the whole session. set the audio output to pcm 44khz stereo and playback the audio.

then you can extract the audio stream out of the avi using virtualdub
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
dub3000

...or deliplayer should be able to play back/output the octamed files on yr pc. probably at higher quality than the amiga, too.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
DragSweep

dub3000 -

Thanks for the DeliPlayer tip - it's the first PC app I've found that will successfully play the .MED format files (only the audio streams, not the MIDI, though) Also - DeliPlayer doesn't appear to support ASIO, so I can't hook it into REAPER directly.

I've thought about the straight recording of the audio (like your nice AVI idea), but it leaves me with the problem of having to sew the parts back together in REAPER to get the audio streams and the MIDI synced up. That's why I was looking at VAC, because REAPER can record both the MIDI and the VAC feed at the same time.

I was just hoping there was a more direct (no-cost) way I could get both into REAPER completely in sync.
DragSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
dub3000

send a midi message and a hihat at exactly the same time, 4 bars before the start of the song, and use it as a sync point?

some sound cards have internal routing facilities that'll do what you want as well
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
josh16

Here is an alternative to VAC.
josh16 is offline   Reply With Quote