Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
LanceP
Human being with feelings

Default Optimizing new versions for UAD

I just picked up a new core2 duo machine and I'm wondering if there are any new settings in the new versions for optimizing UAD performance. Billy Buck???

Lance
LanceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Tallisman

here's 2:

Quote:
+ options to prevent media buffering and anticipative FX per track
+ uad synchronous mode now can work with anticipative FX enabled, but be sure to set any tracks with UAD (or tracks they are routed to) to prevent anticipative FX

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP View Post
I just picked up a new core2 duo machine and I'm wondering if there are any new settings in the new versions for optimizing UAD performance. Billy Buck???

Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
here's 2

btw neither of them solved my problem on my Core2Duo config...

/boka
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
billybk1

Quote:

Lance
Cool, congrats on the new machine. What are your specs? I have been using a Core Duo DAW for the past year with excellent results using REAPER. In fact, I have no issues or problems with using my (4) UAD-1 cards in REAPER 2.014. Just pure UAD-1 mixing bliss!

My DAW is self built and I don't do any overclocking, no hyperthreading or esoteric DAW tweaks. It is a pretty straight forward setup. Justin added a nice option, (Syncronous FX processing) in V2 that allows you to use both cores (for native FX & softsynths) when mixng with UAD-1 plugins. The one caveat is that this does not perform well at super low latencies. When you are mixing you don't need low latencies anyway. I typically use anywhere an ASIO buffer size of 256 to 1024, for optimimum performance when mixing. This is how I have preferences setup for my UAD-1 cards:

Continued in next post

Last edited by billybk1; 12-03-2007 at 07:43 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
billybk1

With Syncronous FX multiprocessing enabled and mixing with (4) UAD-1 cards and lot's of CPU intensive native FX @ ASIO 1024 latency, 24/44.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 12-03-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
LanceP

Hey thanks, I used to have to mix at no less than 1024(old 1.3ghz) so that's not really an issue. Spec wise, although I'm not well versed in computers, I have 2ghz core2duo, gig of ram and two hard drives(I think 160 and 250gig) along with two cards. One of them being a new UAD-1e expert pak so I'm livin' large with all the end of the year promotions. I'll go ahead and just copy your preferences. I knew some new features had come along pertaining to UAD but hadn't had the chance to check them out with the old machine. So thank-you.

Lance
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
billybk1

Quote:
I have 2ghz core2duo, gig of ram and two hard drives(I think 160 and 250gig) along with two cards. One of them being a new UAD-1e expert pak so I'm livin' large with all the end of the year promotions.
Yeah, you are living large. Have you decided which plugins to get with your plugin vouchers? Be sure to check out the December issue of the UA WebZine. Lot's of great info about the upcoming v4.9 release (bug fixes, enhancements and new plugins). UA has now partnered with Germany's SPL and one of the new plugins is the SPL Transient Designer (Rack Pack version). UA even deposited a $50 coupon into my online UA webstore account. I think I know what I will be using it for.

I gotta have one of these!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Staccato

Quote:

Lance
Hi Lance, Billybuck's settings are always a pleasure to see, and he has helped me get my AMD up and running real well. I can even mix 24 tracks with three cards loaded to the gills, and with a bunch of other native plugins, at 128 samples.

There's one setting that Billybuck uses that will blow my entire performance out of the water though, and that is "synchronous FX multiprocessing; limit to". On my system, that needs to be unchecked or all hell breaks loose.

I recently got the LA3A, awesome. I'm demoing the Space Echo, great sound.

Billybuck, thanks for the tip on thr transient designer.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
spikemullings

will . . you . . please . . give . . it . . a . . rest . . with . . the . . expensive, . . pretty . . pictures . . ?

[gritted-teeth-icon/]

spikemullings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
I'm demoing the Space Echo, great sound.
Space Echo rulez...I puchased it yesterday, there are about 80$ off the original price. Its worth buying it now in december!

/boka
Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
There's one setting that Billybuck uses that will blow my entire performance out of the water though, and that is "synchronous FX multiprocessing; limit to". On my system, that needs to be unchecked or all hell breaks loose.
Hey Staccato, what kind of CPU are you using? From what I understand, the "synchronous FX multiprocessing" option is only useful when using multi-cpu's, but less than than four. IOW, Core Duo's should work with this setting, but quad cores probably won't. Justin added this in V2, as a consequence, it enables UAD-1 users to use both CPU's when using UAD-1 plugins, otherwise when you use the UAD-1 Syncronous mode you can only use (1) CPU for FX processing. So for Core Duo users this is a godsend. My Core Duo (E6300) works fine in this mode. As for, single CPU, Quad Core & AMD users, well YMMV. But I would recommend this for Core Duo/UAD-1 users.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
LanceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
Yeah, you are living large. Have you decided which plugins to get with your plugin vouchers? Be sure to check out the December issue of the UA WebZine. Lot's of great info about the upcoming v4.9 release (bug fixes, enhancements and new plugins). UA has now partnered with Germany's SPL and one of the new plugins is the SPL Transient Designer (Rack Pack version). UA even deposited a $50 coupon into my online UA webstore account. I think I know what I will be using it for.

I gotta have one of these!

Yeah I'm getting like $1200 somethin' in free plugs. As far as which ones I'm still not sure. I was thinking of the Neve mkII bundle P-lim 1176LN and LA3A which still leaves me with $50 for later. But I'm not sure and sometimes think I should just go with the 88RS and 1073 and maybe get the space echo and something else. As far as the SPL I wonder how that compares to Stillwell's Transient Monster. I demoed that a while ago and it was freakin' awesome. I have a feeling that the new plugs will come out after New Years and I'll get more for my money if I buy in Dec. What do you think of the 33609? I had 5 min. with it and it seemed to crush everything to death. But that was just five minutes playing with presets. Do you think the 1081 would be redundant to the 1073. Anyway, thanks for UAD tweaks and for the posts you made over there that brought me here.

Lance
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
boka

Lance, Billy... we could create a topic called UAD plugin discussion. (This was originally about optimising)

/boka
Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
Staccato

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
Hey Staccato, what kind of CPU are you using? From what I understand, the "synchronous FX multiprocessing" option is only useful when using multi-cpu's, but less than than four. IOW, Core Duo's should work with this setting, but quad cores probably won't. Justin added this in V2, as a consequence, it enables UAD-1 users to use both CPU's when using UAD-1 plugins, otherwise when you use the UAD-1 Syncronous mode you can only use (1) CPU for FX processing. So for Core Duo users this is a godsend. My Core Duo (E6300) works fine in this mode. As for, single CPU, Quad Core & AMD users, well YMMV. But I would recommend this for Core Duo/UAD-1 users.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Billy, it's a x2 4400, The MOBO is ASUS A8R-MVP. I wish my processor useage looked like yours, but that one setting hammers the audio. There may be some update of some sort for the x2 4400, or maybe it is an update, or a UAD tweak, that I've already applied that is causing this. I think there is a setting about turbo or something, maybe I should re-visit.

But the system performs very well so I'm not too concerned about chasing it down.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
LanceP

Well I went through and copied all the preferences and all is working great. I still can't believe the power difference from the old computer to the new. Iused to run at 50-60%, now it's like five. Thanks for your help.

Lance
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
LanceP

Spoke too soon! I was just messing with the plate 140 on a send and when I was toggling the bypass fx button my cpu was going from 5-8% to 40% and there was a distorted sound. I tried turning off "syncronus multiprocessing" but it was still spiking however the distortion stopped. I tried toggling bypass on other tracks but cpu stayed steady. Now I just remembered people talking of a bug with the plate on the UA forum but I don't remember what it was . I guess I'll go over there and see if I can find the thread.

Lance