Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Default be aware monitor FX cause latency , don't get caught out :)

I was trying the wonderful Tine King imperial modelling by neural DSP today and was wondering why even at 32 sample buffer on my interface I could still feel/hear latency.

Answer, monitor FX switch those off and you're good to go.

Don't get caught out kids.

M

p.s. the Toneking amp has been very well modelled indeed by neural DSP. It's an amp I know well and they've done a great job.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
The Frown

I keep all of my Monitor FX bypassed unless I'm using them. Solves the problem nicely.
The Frown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:38 AM   #3
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frown View Post
I keep all of my Monitor FX bypassed unless I'm using them. Solves the problem nicely.
yeah, On my laptop I have sonarworks headphone correction on though which I tend to leave on all the time for obvious reasons(working on headphones) .... but not now

M
Old 07-04-2022, 02:18 AM   #4
hexSPA

This is why I requested that reaper bypasses plugins when a track is muted and 'do not process muted tracks' is enabled and also when toggling whether monitor effects are active. As it is, even under these conditions, the latency remains. It's just extra steps to minimize lag that I think could be optimized.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:30 AM   #5
The Frown

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
yeah, On my laptop I have sonarworks headphone correction on though which I tend to leave on all the time for obvious reasons(working on headphones) .... but not now

M
I would personally avoid high-load monitoring correction plugins, there are less intensive alternatives. A basic crossfeed plugin for instance shouldn't cause any latency.
The Frown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:54 AM   #6
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frown View Post
I would personally avoid high-load monitoring correction plugins, there are less intensive alternatives. A basic crossfeed plugin for instance shouldn't cause any latency.
it's not on for cross feed it's an eq correction curve for my various headphones

I use Sienna for X-feed and or room sim sometimes if I'm (trying) to mix on headphones.

I bought some Audeze LCD-X for this purpose...it' seems weird paying $1500 for headphones and them having to 'correct' them though LOL

M
Old 07-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

So you’re saying that plugins which add latency will do so no matter where they are in the signal chain?!? Ok cool got it. Lol.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #8
Philbo King

I tripped on this snag too. I finally found out if you use ReaVerb with LL and ZL check boxes ticked, and load a House EQ curve IR file, the latency is removed (at the expense of more CPU, of course).

A link to a lengthy thread on how to generate that IR using REW and a measurement mic, in case you're interested:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ck#post2098957

It's not directly applicable to headphones, though, unless you have a good way to measure the headphone freq response... I'm sure it's possible.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
norbury brook

yes, I should have really qualified by saying any plugin with higher than your buffer latency on your monitor FX will add extra latency.

So if you have Zero latency versions then you will be fine.

I posted becasue the monitor FX runs in the background and we sometimes pay little attention to it, whereas the master bus , everyone is very away of the extra latency plugins on the master bus cause (unless using ZL versions)

M
Old 07-06-2022, 02:52 AM   #10
mozart999uk

Quote:

p.s. the Toneking amp has been very well modelled indeed by neural DSP. It's an amp I know well and they've done a great job.
Have you tried the Fortin Cali Suite? I have and use that

Can't demo the Toneking at the moment (broken hand :-( ) Wondered what you thought in comparison....

The video demo seemed a bit "80's".....
mozart999uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #11
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post

Can't demo the Toneking at the moment (broken hand :-( ) Wondered what you thought in comparison....

sorry about your hand

not ure which demo you've seen of the toneking.

try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSu4...=TheStudioRats

TBH, I have about 10 boutique tube amps of all varieties and also have a Kemper. I was curious about having something on the laptop for hotel/travel use when I@m on the road.

I've been using S-gear for a few years and that's been great, I'm always keeping an ear out though for things moving on, and I've worked for a long time with a very Famous guitarist who's uses the original toneking amps for his classic strat ,clean sound for a lot of years so I know it well

M
Old 07-07-2022, 01:24 AM   #12
mozart999uk

Quote:
sorry about your hand

not ure which demo you've seen of the toneking.

try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSu4...=TheStudioRats

TBH, I have about 10 boutique tube amps of all varieties and also have a Kemper. I was curious about having something on the laptop for hotel/travel use when I@m on the road.

I've been using S-gear for a few years and that's been great, I'm always keeping an ear out though for things moving on, and I've worked for a long time with a very Famous guitarist who's uses the original toneking amps for his classic strat ,clean sound for a lot of years so I know it well

M
Thanks. That's a good demo vid. I'd watched this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMI8oA1RGU which is ok but didn't really show the amp off (for me anyway)
Old 07-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post

I have Fortin Cali, but have only demoed Tone King. I'm not sure if they can be compared that easily as Fortin Cali is an unapologetically high-gain amp sim while Tone King is the complete opposite. Tone King has a lot better cleans ofc, while you still can get a great overdriven tone. Fortin Cali doesn't have superb cleans (definitely useable though), really good overdriven tones and some of the best high-gain tones I've ever experienced in an amp sim!

If you've ever played/compared a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb and a ultra high-gain Hot-Rod Plexi a la Wizard, Splawn, Fortin etc you'll probably get how completely different amps they are

Tone King has the best Fender style tones in a plug-in so far so I'll probably buy it sooner or later. I've been pretty satisfied with Archetype Cory Wong for cleans, but I like that you have access to the whole amp in their single-amp plug-ins instead of the way that the Archetype plug-ins are made.
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
I have Fortin Cali, but have only demoed Tone King. I'm not sure if they can be compared that easily as Fortin Cali is an unapologetically high-gain amp sim while Tone King is the complete opposite. Tone King has a lot better cleans ofc, while you still can get a great overdriven tone. Fortin Cali doesn't have superb cleans (definitely useable though), really good overdriven tones and some of the best high-gain tones I've ever experienced in an amp sim!

If you've ever played/compared a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb and a ultra high-gain Hot-Rod Plexi a la Wizard, Splawn, Fortin etc you'll probably get how completely different amps they are

Tone King has the best Fender style tones in a plug-in so far so I'll probably buy it sooner or later. I've been pretty satisfied with Archetype Cory Wong for cleans, but I like that you have access to the whole amp in their single-amp plug-ins instead of the way that the Archetype plug-ins are made.
Thanks. That's all really interesting.

I demoed Fortin because someone told me it was fantastic at clean / slightly broken up vintage sounds.

I then read around and found similar comments on forums and youtube etc.

Even neural say of it: "the cleanest vintage tones"....

I must admit, I wasn't 100% convinced about the cleans when demoing it but let myself get swayed by the hype and bought it anyway. Silly boy!!!!

Never been totally convinced of it in that role and passed on Toneking during the intro sale. Will look at it again when my hand is mended.