Old 05-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default frame boundary dumb question

most video editors default to cuts landing on the frame boundary. since reaper has always been my audio editor, i have it set up so the cursor can land anywhere, opening up the possibility of cutting between frames. do you set snapping to frames in order to avoid this? how do you reconcile this?

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
most video editors default to cuts landing on the frame boundary. since reaper has always been my audio editor, i have it set up so the cursor can land anywhere, opening up the possibility of cutting between frames. do you set snapping to frames in order to avoid this? how do you reconcile this?

thanks,
babag
Cutting "between" frame has never been a problem with any of my projects so far. There are cases where you may want for example to freeze on a specific frame so you could install two new actions by X-Raym: "Move edit cursor to next/previous frame". This would ensure that you cut on frame boundaries.
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
babag

thanks, papagirafe!

i'm actually aware of and have the xraym scripts. spk77 also has something similar. one is absolute and the other is relative. forget whose is which, though. iow, one moves exactly a frame, whether you're on the boundary or not. the other moves to the next/prev boundary.

i guess my concern is somewhat analogous to cutting and composing with audio loops. you'd want them to align to beats so as to avoid getting out of rhythm. if i'm working with visual loops i'll want the same kind of control so as to avoid cumulative item length errors. just wondering how others might be dealing with this kind of thing.

maybe i'm the only one thinking of this kind of work but i have seen some similar depth in things like the post about tiling a great many images. before i get too far into it i just want to try to anticipate precision and control issues.

thanks again,
babag
Old 05-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
thanks, papagirafe!
<snip....snip>
maybe i'm the only one thinking of this kind of work but i have seen some similar depth in things like the post about tiling a great many images. before i get too far into it i just want to try to anticipate precision and control issues.
babag
I have done about ten virtual choir projects with 25+ choristers visually synchronized with the sound track. Synchronizing the choristers sound tracks requires a precision of about 10~25 msec but for video, the eye is far more tolerant: about ten times more.

You could make a test project with a video snippet repeated on many tracks and start each instance at a slightly different point on the item and see where the synchronisation breaks!
And BTW your question was not dumb at all!
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
babag

yeah. the test i'd have to do would be to put a video clip on one track and make a cut in between frames, NOT on the frame boundary. then, copy and paste that clip many times. it will likely produce frame count oddities.

i probably won't be doing a test like this any time soon. the lack of response, papagirafe excepted, of course, tells me nobody is thinking about such things. i think i can assume that, being an audio editor, reaper will allow me to cut in the middle of frames and that cumulative errors are a real possibility.

the solution i would come to would be separate configs for audio vs video editing. that would entail making a video-specific config in which snapping to frames is the default and keyboard shortcuts are different for navigation.

next question is how to set this up and manage it, how to toggle between the two configs.

thanks,
babag
Old 05-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
EpicSounds

I always edit my videos with the grid set to frames and snap on.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #7
babag

thanks. that sounds right. i'd also want to toggle other things like what the arrow keys do. reapack has some scripts that set up avid-like keyboard shortcuts. think j-k-l, i/o, and others. would be good to be able to gather a lot of video-centric key commands into a video config and be able to toggle between my normal audio setup and this alternate video config.