Old 11-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #361
OPI
Human being with feelings

Sorry if ive missed this, but what are the rules? Am i allowed to layer my own subs and snares? Etc. . .
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #362
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I faded it exactly like the original studio cut, because I think they faded it for a reason.
I don't think I ever actually listened to the studio cut. I gave a half-ass view of the video just to get a quick indication of what I'd be working on and never listened to the other or watched the video again. I didn't want a subconscious target before trying to find my own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
There is/was. It's more that to identify those things (in that song anyway) you have to more view it from a performance perspective, not so much a technical mixing perspective. The spotlights in that track would be in and out pretty fast, nothing really lingering.

The thing I dislike most about modern pop is how "level" everything is. If you listen to old R&B you'll notice things (correctly) occasionally jumping out at you, as what actually happens in live music. This is not me talking btw, this is from people much better than me, one of their common critiques of "our" mixes, that they're static, and lifeless.
This is exactly how I always feel about my own mixes, kind of "static and lifeless." I partially attribute it to laziness. I mean, intellectually, I know I need to create some more movement throughout the mix, but too lazy to do all that automation. I guess that's why I only try to present myself to others as someone who can mix you a really good sounding demo.

I always begin my process as "Mr Fix It." I try to eliminate all the crap that I hate or find distracting first before anything else, well, along with organizing/setting up my folders. It seems like by the time I get through all the Mr Fix It that I've lost much perspective and enthusiasm for any more tedious automation-type work.

Ultimately, I haven't really done enough mixing to get to that next level yet, I think.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #363
karbomusic

Quote:
is to be very careful with other musician's and artist's material. Like I said, this doesn't really apply here, but, heh heh, with my old brain I have a hard time forgetting it.
Hi Tod, to be honest, that's why I played it a little safe myself.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if it's because of my age or what, but I like some things, like vocals for example, to be natural, at least as natural as possible.
Most of the time I do but there are some instances I like it distorted - not very often though, would need to be tasteful. In fact if you turn up the duplicated vocal track in my project, you'll see it has a fuzz JS or something on it. I was previously blending in to the clear vocal much more than what I submitted. I had wanted to just make the verses sound like a megaphone (seemed to work with the lyric), then ended up backing it way off in the final mix.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #364
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Sorry if ive missed this, but what are the rules? Am i allowed to layer my own subs and snares? Etc. . .
There's no steadfast rule as yet. But, I brought it up earlier in this thread (drum replacement) and I think the general consensus was to avoid doing so. If for no other reason, to keep the total upload/download files to a minimum.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #365
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

P.S. My first inclination was to ask you (for every contest) to post an mp3 of the song so people could listen to see if it was something they were interested in mixing before downloading... but when I thought more about it... that's a bad idea, because it probably would influence mix decisions, especially if the sample mix was really great. Probably better to not hear any mix of it first and go in "ear blind" as it were.
I've still haven't heard the real mix of this contest we just mixed. I don't want any part of hearing it first, you wouldn't get that in real life - much of the job is having a vision for what it should be. I may go listen now but for the contest, no, I don't want any influences.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #366
karbomusic

Quote:
I totally agree with you Lawrence, but even in the old days with tape, we tried to bring out the best of each instrument, and then put them all together.
I was thinking about this very thing on the way to band practice tonight aka the thing you and I are talking about and the type of spotlighting Lawrence is talking about. I'm gonna have to put them down as both valid and having some overlap.

I deal with something similar in my band and telling bandmates... "you don't have to play every single measure of every single song beginning to end and at the same volume" or "Hey man... You are playing your part in the exact same register I am and mushing up the sound, either counterpoint me or change to another register" and so on. All that really means is allowing the orchestration (for lack of a better term) to do the spotlighting.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-30-2016 at 08:53 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #367
karbomusic

Quote:
I very much agree with this as well. I didn't feel like this song was produced well.
I have to be transparent here. If I were in my twenties, I'd not have produced it a bit better myself, probably far worse. I simply didn't know then. All I knew was some songs sound good, others don't but how to do it, just keep making stuff up sort out of natural and expected ignorance and if one suddenly sounded good, we didn't really know why LOL.

Now, decades later, it all sticks out like a sore thumb. That damn sure doesn't make me a good producer/composer but it does make composing/orchestrating much less of an aimless stab in the dark. That's why I think home recording is great for musicians, it forces you to think that way when you are coming up with parts. Since you played them all, you start noticing when part A is stepping all over part B so you rewrite part A. I used to spend hours trying to say pack 10 guitar tracks in with all of them feeling like they belonged there without stepping on each other and no two playing the same part.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #368
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It is but IMHO much of that should have happened during the composition. I'm not saying a mixer shouldn't do it, they should, but I am saying if the mixer finds themselves automating the shit out of it to do so, I start questioning the composition - I guess as a musician I place a hell of a lot of expectation on them.

I had to remove any and all guitars starting with the first verse for example (at least I think I did). There are a number of others but no need to mention since I don't think they were noticeable enough to discuss - they are visible in the project anyway.
Funny you say that - as a bassist, whenever I'm working with any kind of ensemble, and something isn't quite gelling, playing fewer notes, or simply not playing at a certain spot really offers some room to breathe. As I've played with numerous bands and such over the years, I've more than a few times said, "You know, we don't all have to all be playing all the instruments and all the notes all the time."
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #369
thunderbroom

Quote:
I have to be transparent here. If I were in my twenties, I'd not have produced it a bit better myself, probably far worse. I simply didn't know then. All I knew was some songs sound good, others don't but how to do it, just keep making stuff up sort out of natural and expected ignorance and if one suddenly sounded good, we didn't really know why LOL.

Now, decades later, it all sticks out like a sore thumb. That damn sure doesn't make me a good producer/composer but it does make composing/orchestrating much less of an aimless stab in the dark. That's why I think home recording is great for musicians, it forces you to think that way when you are coming up with parts. Since you played them all, you start noticing when part A is stepping all over part B so you rewrite part A. I used to spend hours trying to say pack 10 guitar tracks in with all of them feeling like they belonged there without stepping on each other and no two playing the same part.
I barely remember my twenties. That said, when I went to audio school at 26, the way I learned editing was when the engineer handed me a reel, a single-edged razor, and a wax pencil and barked "get to work!" It was the cusp of digital, and ADAT had just become mainstay. However, most of my learning was on 2" Ampex and Teac machines - and when I mixed, it was always me and at least two other people riding those faders as best we could. From there, it was my Tascam Portastudio cassette deck - and now, for the last 15 years or so, all computer with some outboard.

Regardless of the technology, the simplest path is best. Just like everyone here is pretty much agreeing, spend the time to get it right at the source. Spend time working with mic placement, amp placement; get to know your space. You know whether or not you've recorded your best performance. If not, do it again...and again. Then, take a day off, and revisit it.

When I first meet with any client, it's not usually at the studio - most times, it's at a cafe or even my kitchen over coffee or beer, depending on the time of day. We talk, we listen to music, talk about our favorite records, whatever. Once you get inside that persons head, you can have some direction. But when you're recording yourself, you're so often focused on getting it to sound like what's in your head - but in isolation, that can be really difficult. When I write anything for anyone, whether it's for a licensing deal, or just writing a birthday song for my wife, I always include someone else in the process to keep me honest, and to critique me along the way. Otherwise who knows what'll turn out, right?

A good song is a good song is a good song. Whether John Lennon sings an acoustic version of 'Cold turkey', or puts together a kick ass studio band to play it, it's still a damn good song. And maybe this guy, recording in isolation, really had no one off of whom to bounce an idea. Maybe he performed and recorded the whole thing himself, then assembled a band to promote the album - a band of musicians who hadn't recorded or written or took part in arranging any of the music.

Anyway, it's quite late where I am, and I think I lost my original train of thought, so it's a quick sip of bourbon, then bed for me. Already downloaded and set up the next competition session so I can have a go at it this weekend if I find the time.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #370
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
martinmadero: I was most taken with the rhythm electric guitars, most especially during the choruses. I thought they sounded defined and cut right through the mix. My only gripe was your heavy-handed compression. Looking at your session and seeing almost everything redlining at one time or another, I saw you attempted to keep everything in check on the master track. That really messed with the dynamics of the song overall. When I went through and solo'd individual sections or tracks, the clarity and nicely tuned sounds were there - together they just competed for attention.
thanks for the comment! i will like to share my opinions, but the fact is that my english is not so rich, so this is a limitation in words and expressions, so if you want or let me write in spanish i probabbly talk a lot
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #371
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
thanks for the comment! i will like to share my opinions, but the fact is that my english is not so rich, so this is a limitation in words and expressions, so if you want or let me write in spanish i probabbly talk a lot
Try help of google translate. It has become MUCH better very recently.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #372
Lawrence

Quote:
I was thinking about this very thing on the way to band practice tonight aka the thing you and I are talking about and the type of spotlighting Lawrence is talking about. I'm gonna have to put them down as both valid and having some overlap.

I deal with something similar in my band and telling bandmates... "you don't have to play every single measure of every single song beginning to end and at the same volume" or "Hey man... You are playing your part in the exact same register I am and mushing up the sound, either counterpoint me or change to another register" and so on. All that really means is allowing the orchestration (for lack of a better term) to do the spotlighting.
Yep. If you listen to ... say... a live funk band, you hear that, where (for example) the rhythm guitar guy knows where the gaps are and will fill them with little phrases that kinda pop out. It's the musical counterpoint thing where musical phrases played dynamically kinda act rythmically, but it kinda gets lost when everything is compressed to death or automated to be too level in the mix.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #373
DaveKeehl

should we maybe use just a single thread for the contests? The admins still didn't put the December one as sticky...
Old 11-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #374
DaveKeehl

Hey guys! from now on I'll be using this thread as a general Q&A section for the contest since it's sticky. New people can also come here and ask questions! I'm updating the first post

How are you all doing? I haven't been hearing from some of you for a long time I miss you
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #375
hwhalen

Hi Dave, just posted in the Oct 2017 thread concerning my username. Cheers
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #376
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Hi Dave, just posted in the Oct 2017 thread concerning my username. Cheers
already answered over there
Old 12-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #377
DaveKeehl

Hey guys, what's up?

Just a quick update about 2018!

First of all, I want to let you guys know that the contest will start again on February 1st and not in a couple of days.
Besides, I'll be choosing a song this time (then, as usual the winner chooses the song for the following month).
That means that in 2018, yes there will be 11 songs to mix and not 12 but there are also lots of things planned throughout the whole year. So, in a nutshell that means less songs but more content in general.
Don't want to share details yet, but you can expect a few things, such:

- The website will be slightly restructured, so that old songs will always be available to download without DM me as well as all the user projects

- The Facebook page will be used more and more because I can reach more people and expand the contest even more, but I'll always make sure to keep the forum up to date.

- On the forum this thread will be the main plaza (xD) for the contest. Previously this thread was an old month thread or something, so the users had to always enter the right thread to ask something.

That's it for now. Honestly 2017 was a blast and a bit of a ride. In 12 months this contest has grown a lot and it now has a great community that every month comes back to hang out, do some mixing, have a laugh and learn something new.

I miss a few users that haven't heard in while and that I got along quite well, so I hope to see some old faces (as well as new ones of course!) in February!

That being said, I'm really happy with how this past year turned out, hope you enjoyed the contest, happy new year and I'll see you guys veeeeeeery soon!

Dave

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 07-22-2019 at 03:41 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 AM   #378
DaveKeehl

Updated the first post with all the info for newcomers! This thread is now used to welcome new people to the contest!

Feel free to ask questions if you have any.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #379
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I miss a few users that haven't heard in while and that I got along quite well, so I hope to see some old faces (as well as new ones of course!) in February!

That being said, I'm really happy how this past year, hope you enjoyed the contest, happy new year and I'll see you guys veeeeeeery soon!

Dave
I miss being part of these contests, but I just can't fit them in my schedule for a long while. I hope to be able to enter again at some point (hopefully this will still be happening then). I really enjoyed the contests I was in and learned a lot from the other participants.

Thank you, Dave! For all your hard work and time spent running this fantastic resource for Reaperites. I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts very much, even if they forget to mention so!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #380
DaveKeehl

heyyyy how are you man?? So nice to see you!

I hear you man, don't worry. I'll be glad to see you again sometime in the future It's a lot of work, but it's a great reward seeing how a lot of users look forward to mixing the next song each month It makes me happy
Old 12-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #381
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Damn this latest song is AWESOME!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 AM   #382
DaveKeehl

It really is :O
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #383
pim van dorst

Default song february

great track david...!!!

a blast to mix...question can i use resampleomatic with a snaar sample

thnik it wil sound better with a smacked rock snaar

greetings
pim van dorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #384
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim van dorst View Post
great track david...!!!

a blast to mix...question can i use resampleomatic with a snaar sample

thnik it wil sound better with a smacked rock snaar

greetings
sure, just make sure to include it when sending your submission
Old 06-21-2019, 05:15 AM   #385
DaveKeehl

Default JUNE 2019 - VOTING HAS STARTED

You can now go on the website to listen to all the submissions and vote for your top 3!

Listen
Vote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #386
DaveKeehl

Results are now out for June! Go leave some feedback

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221732
Old 07-06-2019, 03:57 AM   #387
DaveKeehl

Default JULY 2019 - MIXING HAS STARTED

This month you have no limitation over the plugins you can use

Have fun!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #388
DaveKeehl

Default JULY 2019 - VOTING

You can now go on the website and listen and vote for your top 3
Old 08-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #389
DaveKeehl

Default AUGUST 2019 - MIXING HAS STARTED

Mixing has started for August 2019. Go to the first post, click on the link to go to the website and download the raw tracks
Old 08-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #390
pim van dorst

Default reaper plug ins

Quote:
Mixing has started for August 2019. Go to the first post, click on the link to go to the website and download the raw tracks
only reaper stock plug in s this time !?

greetings ...epic track this time
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #391
DaveKeehl

Quote:
only reaper stock plug in s this time !?

greetings ...epic track this time
yup, only reaper plugins this month
Old 08-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #392
DaveKeehl

Default AUGUST 2019 - VOTING HAS STARTED

You can now go on the website and vote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #393
pim van dorst

Default glue and doubling tracks

Quote:
You can now go on the website and vote
david wondering evry time ...why cant we use glue ore copie a track and use it as reandforsment track
Old 11-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #394
DaveKeehl

Quote:
david wondering evry time ...why cant we use glue ore copie a track and use it as reandforsment track
At the end of each month I upload all the submissions online so that everyone can check out how the other people worked and maybe learn some new tricks. All these files are uploaded on a cloud storage, that way the sharing process is very easy for me.
However, since I don't get any money from this contest I can't pay for a premium plan, so my quota is very low.

Glueing files, produces new files. One person doing it that is not a problem, 20 people each month it is. This is also the reason why I don't accept wav files.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #395
pim van dorst

Quote:
At the end of each month I upload all the submissions online so that everyone can check out how the other people worked and maybe learn some new tricks. All these files are uploaded on a cloud storage, that way the sharing process is very easy for me.
However, since I don't get any money from this contest I can't pay for a premium plan, so my quota is very low.

Glueing files, produces new files. One person doing it that is not a problem, 20 people each month it is. This is also the reason why I don't accept wav files.
got it !! makes sens thnks
Old 07-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #396
darjama

I'm planning (with Dave's blessing) on reviving the contest for August. My work on a new website got a bit delayed, but I should have it up by August 1st. stay tuned ...
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #397
PVinKC

NICE!

I'll keep an eye out!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #398
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
I'm planning (with Dave's blessing) on reviving the contest for August. My work on a new website got a bit delayed, but I should have it up by August 1st. stay tuned ...
Go for it curious to see what you’re cooking
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #399
darjama

Default new contest: August 2020

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...88#post2326688

https://reamixed.com
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #400
poetnprophet

hell yes i'm in! thank you for reviving! You may want to post in general section to announce it's return as I just thought I'd check randomly today.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote