Old 11-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default Welcome to the REAPER Contest!

WELCOME TO THE REAPER CONTEST

Welcome to the REAPER Contest, a monthly mixing competition open to any REAPER user. We don't care if you are either an expert or a beginner: if you want to practise your mixing skills and get feedback from other users, this is the right place.

The contest is subdivided in 4 phases:

1. Mixing
  2. Voting
  3. Results
  4. Feedback

Each month a new thread gets created where users that are interested or want to participate can come together and discuss all sorts of things!
Users can submit their own mix and based on the votes they get, a ranking is created and updated throughout the year. At the end of each year, the user that has gathered more points becomes the REAPER Contest Champion.

Don't be afraid and join us!

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 04-14-2022 at 08:18 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
insub

Maybe we should request that people do not make any new files by gluing, etc. I don't see how that's absolutely necessary to get the job done and it increases the amount of necessary files to upload/download by a lot.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Maybe we should request that people do not make any new files by gluing, etc. I don't see how that's absolutely necessary to get the job done and it increases the amount of necessary files to upload/download by a lot.
I know but we can't even forbid it, everyone has different workflows. What I can do is to encourage not to glue files.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I know but we can't even forbid it, everyone has different workflows. What I can do is to encourage not to glue files.
That's a good point, I think any operation that would make it impossible to check out projects should be highly advised against. Actually, I think each participant should consider others, out of respect if nothing else. Heh heh, but then I'm an old fart.

Quote:
Listen to the studio version here
Anybody else having a problem hearing the studio version. YouTube is wide open and I have to turn my monitors up in such a way that I don't really want to do that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Anybody else having a problem hearing the studio version. YouTube is wide open and I have to turn my monitors up in such a way that I don't really want to do that.
Mmmh not quite sure what you mean. I hear it fine without touching anything. By saying "Youtube is wide open" do you mean it's too loud?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #6
lolilol1975

Quote:
Can you give a procedure to return a project with the right files that's convenient for you to handle ? Because every time I render and zip the project, it seems that I didn't include the right files. :/
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Can you give a procedure to return a project with the right files that's convenient for you to handle ? Because every time I render and zip the project, it seems that I didn't include the right files. :/
Simply follow the steps above listed and you'll be fine
Old 11-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Can't answer. I'm avoiding hearing it at all beyond the raw tracks as I don't want to be influenced in any way. I'm about 1/3 done at this point. Cool tune btw.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Pet

Quote:
...Anybody else having a problem hearing the studio version. YouTube is wide open and I have to turn my monitors up in such a way that I don't really want to do that.
Confirmed. The live version is much louder than the studio version.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Mmmh not quite sure what you mean. I hear it fine without touching anything. By saying "Youtube is wide open" do you mean it's too loud?
I have to turn my system almost wide open to hear it, 80% to 90%. Normally about 25% is plenty.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
richie43

Hmmm....maybe I will mix this. And I am with Karbo, I almost never listen to original mixes (or other competition mixes) until mine is submitted. I try to treat it like I would if they were clients asking me to mix....
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Hmmm....maybe I will mix this. And I am with Karbo, I almost never listen to original mixes (or other competition mixes) until mine is submitted. I try to treat it like I would if they were clients asking me to mix....
Yes, please. Should be fun having you Tod and a few long-time members involved as well as newer members.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yes, please. Should be fun having you Tod and a few long-time members involved as well as newer members.
Maybe good....we'll see......
Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
karbomusic

OK...
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
Lawrence

Only Reaper plugins allowed? If I may ask, what is the point of that, who normally works that way?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Only Reaper plugins allowed? If I may ask, what is the point of that, who normally works that way?
It's so the projects are easily shareable and serves as a learning experience so all can download these in their entirety and see what others did. I think that is great actually.

It's not that hard, I'm as said above 1/3 done already because it isn't a difficult set of tracks to mix (it actually grooves some). I can state it the way I did in the original thread from weeks back.. "Anyone with skills should be able to make a fine mix with default plugs" or better stated in a very kidding and loving way...

"What, are ya chicken?"

Personally, I enjoy challenges and is why I joined in.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
Lawrence

Quote:
"What, are ya chicken?"
Lol. Nah. I'd just rather not spend the time to try to replace my plugins and processes with JSFX... and searching the net for decent impulses and not having any good algorithmic verb at all.

It just seems restrictive. I still may take a crack at it on the desktop, with my phones. We'll see.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Only Reaper plugins allowed because the aim is to share our sessions at the end of each contest and we need to have the same tools in order to do it
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
It just seems restrictive. I still may take a crack at it on the desktop, with my phones. We'll see.
I just figured that so many, including you and I preach that it's in the hands of the mixer that it would be nice to demonstrate that skill for a change which would be great for everyone learning to mix. I can't find any good reason someone can't do a great mix this way. I really can't. I sort of grew up without all the tools I needed so it's not really a big deal to me.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
Lawrence

Quote:
I just figured that so many, including you and I preach that it's in the hands of the mixer that it would be nice to demonstrate that skill for a change. I can't find any good reason someone can't do a great mix this way. I really can't.
Me either. Like I said earlier, my point was using something I don't use so much, JSFX and things, which will make it take longer for me trying to do what I do with some other plugs.

I'd think (at a minimum) freeware plugs should be allowed. Everyone can use those and many can be included with the project. But again, not my place to make the rules.

Downloading.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Me either. Like I said earlier, my point was using something I don't use so much, JSFX and things, which will make it take longer for me trying to do what I do with some other plugs.

I'd think (at a minimum) freeware plugs should be allowed. Everyone can use those.
That's what I sort of thought at first but once I started mixing, didn't seem like a big deal because the tracks are good enough it shouldn't be a problem, YMMV/IMHO. Anyway, unless something else comes up, I'll be mixing this one and submitting - hell we have almost three weeks and I'm sure I'll be likely done by the weekend or done enough to revisit in my spare time after that.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #22
Lawrence

Quote:
hell we have almost three weeks.
It'll take about that long to download with my slow DSL.

(maybe next time render 24-bit flac?)
Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #23
DaveKeehl

Quote:
That's what I sort of thought at first but once I started mixing, didn't seem like a big deal because the tracks are good enough it shouldn't be a problem, YMMV/IMHO. Anyway, unless something else comes up, I'll be mixing this one and submitting - hell we have almost three weeks.
What I really miss in the whole reaper plugins library is a complete levels analyzer. I use all the time the audio statistic jsfx, but it doesn't tell me the loudness informations.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-18-2016 at 10:10 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:

LOL, not a bad idea. I tend to forget that everyone doesn't have a 300 Mbps connection. I could probably convert them for you if you want but might be tomorrow before I can get to it.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #25
DaveKeehl

Quote:

right, I forgot to say the format, bitdepth and bitrate
Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
What I really is really missing in the whole reaper plugins library is a complete levels analyzer. I use all the time the audio statistic jsfx, but it doesn't tell me the loudness informations.
If a person is using a visual analyzer that isn't part of the rendered sound, I'd think you should use whatever you want - just remove it before uploading. FYI there is a SWS RMS/Peak extension that works per item. I find that quite useful at times. That being said, I don't think we should exclude SWS since it is very near part of the product. Not sure I used it yet but I don't think it should be excluded per se.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #27
Lawrence

Quote:
LOL, not a bad idea. I tend to forget that everyone doesn't have a 300 Mbps connection. I could probably convert them for you if you want but might be tomorrow before I can get to it.
Nah, it's cool. FLAC would probably cut that zip size to near half though, depending on how much empty space is in the tracks.

Actually (going forward) if it's a literal "Reaper Project", stems seems like a waste as opposed to trimming away all of the dead space and minimizing the audio files and uploading a Reaper rpp with everything already there and all dead space trimmed.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Nah, it's cool. FLAC would probably cut that zip size to near half though, depending on how much empty space is in the tracks.

Actually (going forward) if it's a literal "Reaper Project", stems seems like a waste as opposed to trimming away all of the dead space and minimizing the audio files and uploading a Reaper rpp with everything already there and all dead space trimmed.
Right now it is literally the raw WAV files and nothing else. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove silence etc since we are using someone else's files for educational purposes etc. Not sure if you are speaking before or after though.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #29
Lawrence

Quote:
Right now it is literally the raw WAV files and nothing else. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove silence etc since we are using someone else's files for educational purposes etc.
Yeah. Maybe next time the guy running the contest would load the stems, trim away empty space, bounce the clips 24-bit, name all the tracks, and upload the rpp, to minimize the download. Of course, if most everybody is almost always playing it won't make very much difference.

I'll do it after the download just to see the comparative size.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #30
richie43

Quote:
OK...
Ha ha..I typed to fast before reading better...My bad. I meant that it may be nice having me do this, maybe not.....
If I can muster up a good mix!!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #31
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Ha ha..I typed to fast before reading better...My bad. I meant that it may be nice having me do this, maybe not.....
If I can muster up a good mix!!
Yea, I thought we may have broken up and you didn't break the news to me yet.

I know your mix will be good (and Lawrence's, Tod etc) and it's as much a fellowship thing to me as anything.

I really wanted to mix the previous contest but that lead singer's voice made me want to shoot myself in the face for some reason.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #32
Lawrence

Quote:
I really wanted to mix the previous contest but that lead singer's voice made me want to shoot myself in the face for some reason.
That might be a useful, for everyone mixing to also evaluate the tracks (the recordings) in a text file or in the Reaper notes.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #33
richie43

Quote:
Yea, I thought we may have broken up and you didn't break the news to me yet.
No....the honeymoon is still on for me.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #34
lolilol1975

Quote:
Simply follow the steps above listed and you'll be fine
OK, I think I did glue a few items, and didn't know it would create new files but it makes sense.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #35
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
OK, I think I did glue a few items, and didn't know it would create new files but it makes sense.
that's why I asked to send me the glued files
Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #36
Tod

Quote:
Heh heh, you got me going on this karbo, I DLed it and I'm working on it right now.

It's not my kind of music, but I'm going to try my best, and it should be fun.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Heh heh, you got me going on this karbo, I DLed it and I'm working on it right now.

It's not my kind of music, but I'm going to try my best, and it should be fun.
Cool, that's exciting.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:11 AM   #38
lolilol1975

Quote:
I just figured that so many, including you and I preach that it's in the hands of the mixer that it would be nice to demonstrate that skill for a change which would be great for everyone learning to mix. I can't find any good reason someone can't do a great mix this way. I really can't. I sort of grew up without all the tools I needed so it's not really a big deal to me.
Not only that, but october session proved that one can do perfectly good mixes with just Reaplugs and a few JS. Just in case that needed to be proven.
Still, I miss my OrilRiverb.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #39
lolilol1975

Quote:
that's why I asked to send me the glued files
Yeah ok, but there are plenty because I made a mistake. Just not worth it really. Next time I will submit.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #40
insub

Quote:

Quote:
Distributing the stems as FLAC is a great idea, but it needs to occur prior to starting the contest. If Karbo rendered FLAC files for you then your project wouldn't open properly for everyone else.

This is the same reason I thought we should ask people to try not to glue or otherwise generate their own files. Keeping it non-destructive also maintains the highest project file compatibility and requires the least number of files to be uploaded to DaveKeehl and subsequently downloaded by all after the contest is complete.

On the same note/idea. If anyone needs to glue/freeze items or tracks then they should consider using FLAC or other lossless compression format for their generated files to reduce the upload/download file size.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote