Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
jackcooksonmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Can't embed UI for bridged plugin (64 to 32)

Hi there,

I recently got some Softube Plugins that I really like and am using in my 32 bit version of Reaper. I've trawled many threads and seen some Youtube videos on how to make plugin UI appear in the FX window of a track, but they all seem to saying to right click on the plugin in the search window, select "Run As" and then choose to embed the UI.

It seems this isn't available in the latest versions of Reaper (these threads are from around 2012...) and I'm getting quite annoyed with adjusting a parameter, then when I click on something in the project arrange window, the plugin disappears, and I have to keep going back to the FX list of the respective track and clicking "Show UI" to make the floating window come back.

I understand this may be a big ask as I assume it's tricky bridging a 64 plugin to 32, but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd AT LEAST like to find a way to keep the floating window from disappearing when I click away from it.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 21.46.32.png (21.1 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 21.45.42.jpg (55.6 KB, 253 views)
jackcooksonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Never seen that happen. Plugins shouldn't disappear unless you close them. Also not sure bridging works in that direction. Why aren't you using Reaper x64? All my 32-bit plugs work fine that way. I would not think that 64 bit plugins would work on a 32-bit system at all.

It could be that you have the option enabled in prefs/plug-ins to only allow one fx chain window; that would cause it to disappear if you click another track.

If embedding doesn't work in that direction it could be the plugin is still tied to the fx chain window even though it's not actually embedded.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
srdmusic

You could try not using 32bit plugins. It's 2019, if there's a plugin that's only 32bit compatible then there is probably a similar free 64bit plugin that does a better job of whatever that plugin is doing.

I really can't think of a single plugin made over a decade ago that either doesn't have a 64bit version or have a better version of it out there.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
jackcooksonmusic

Sorry I didn't my myself clear - my problem is that my 64 bit softtube plugins do not sit in the FX window of my 32 bit version of Reaper, which I have to use despite it being 2019, because of poverty. The plugins float, no matter what box I tick in the preference menu.

The problem is solved in 64 bit reaper, but I just don't trust it on my 4GB of Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
You could try not using 32bit plugins. It's 2019, if there's a plugin that's only 32bit compatible then there is probably a similar free 64bit plugin that does a better job of whatever that plugin is doing.

I really can't think of a single plugin made over a decade ago that either doesn't have a 64bit version or have a better version of it out there.
jackcooksonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooksonmusic View Post
but I just don't trust it on my 4GB of Ram.
If you are able to upgrade to 64-bit OS, there is no reason not to. You definitely should. You are not required to have over 4GB of RAM, it's only that a 32-bit system cannot access more than that.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooksonmusic View Post

choose to embed the UI.

It seems this isn't available in the latest versions of Reaper.
Embedding of bridged plugin GUIs has never been available in the OS-X version of Reaper. (It's a limitation in OS-X and/or in the way Cockos is using the OS functions.)