COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default visual studio disk usage?

Howdy -- apparently feeling masochistic I've thought to make another attempt at getting into C++ and coding VST's with iPlug2, now that the new version is out.

I'm up against the ridiculous disk space requirements of visual studio, though (see here). I have like 1GB free on my C drive (40GB partition), and things are already pretty streamlined (e.g. no system restore points, all serious data on external drives, etc.) So, freeing up like 5-10GB is going to be painful, or even impossible.

If I want to compile windows VSTs I need to use visual studio, right? There are no alternatives?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Xenakios

I think MinGw might work but I haven't tried that for VST plugins in a long time. Of course you may be faced with stuff like having to write your own make or cmake files for IPlug...(AFAIK IPlug only has direct support for Visual Studio solutions on Windows.)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
clepsydrae

Interesting... I'd love to develop on iplug in linux, test/etc there, and just pop over to windows when it's time to compile and test before distribution. If iplug2 had MinGW support (I'll add a FR) would such a dream be realistic, do you think?

I'm a total newbie to this kind of programming (I've always lived in the interpreted world; java, etc.) so this question may be dumb. :-)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
olilarkin

mingw support is not something i have time for, although i am looking for some to help with linux support, which i started work on

https://github.com/iPlug2/iPlug2/projects

ps... I really think you need a bigger hard drive. VS2017 community is really a nice IDE IMO.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
mingw support is not something i have time for, although i am looking for some to help with linux support, which i started work on
Ok, thanks -- can someone build linux VSTs at this point?

Quote:
ps... I really think you need a bigger hard drive. VS2017 community is really a nice IDE IMO.
Yeah... I already have plenty of giant hard drives. The terror is the process of moving my old 8.1 install from one place to another. Windows' licensing is such a confusing and byzantine mess that I'm traditionally terrified to try to poke it at all. I'll have to revisit the recent thread where coachz G-Sun did something like this and see if I can get my confidence up.

Last edited by clepsydrae; 01-15-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
karbomusic

If just compling C++ will vscode work? it's tiny in comparison and cross-platform...

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp
Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If just compling C++ will vscode work? it's tiny in comparison and cross-platform...

For complicated C++ projects like IPlug, the same problem as with MinGw : IPlug does not come with the needed project/build files out of the box. (AFAIK VSCode does not support Visual Studio solutions and projects.)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Ok, thanks -- can someone build linux VSTs at this point?
nope. Standalone app was nearly building not long ago. LV2 support is of more interest to me, but i hope to find a linux expert to help
Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
clepsydrae

What about building reaper native plugins -- would that work on linux? I.e. any options currently working on linux?

I hope a linux person comes along to assist.

Thanks again for iplug2, by the way.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
What about building reaper native plugins
You can build Reaper extension plugins for Linux (on Linux), as evidenced by SWS and ReaPack. (Not with IPlug, of course. I just mean it's generally possible to build them.) But those are Reaper extensions, not audio processing plugins like VST. (And they must be built with Visual Studio or at least the MSVC compiler for Windows.)

On Linux, I have successfully built VST plugins with JUCE and gcc. (However, for possible subsequent Windows builds, there is again the problem that Visual Studio is the preferred development environment for JUCE too. They have nominal MinGw support and are not doing extensive testing and support for that.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 01-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 AM   #11
olilarkin

iplug2 does build reaper extensions... Xenakios i used some of your macros to make things easier, will update the example to do some gui stuff soon
Old 01-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
iplug2 does build reaper extensions... Xenakios i used some of your macros to make things easier, will update the example to do some gui stuff soon
Ah, interesting! But it really needs that GUI example to make it worth it to involve IPlug2 with it!

Anyway, I was referring to the possibility of doing Linux builds. It would appear IPlug(2) is not currently feasible to do any kind of plugins on Linux.

edit : The ini-file stuff is a bit painful in that Reaper plugin example. I would these days use the SetExtState, GetExtState etc Reaper API functions instead of dealing with a custom ini-file. Also the API functions can these days be initialized programmatically instead of manually using the IMPAPI macro.

Last edited by Xenakios; 01-16-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #13
olilarkin

i disagree, the duplication script makes it worth it!
Old 03-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
Qrchack

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

That won't work since it's just a text editor and doesn't include a compiler. You can compile C++ in VS Code, if you have Visual Studio or other C++ compiler (eg. MinGW) installed. VSCode is just launching other compilers, and you'll have to configure the launching yourself, too.
Qrchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
cfillion

Visual Studio's C++ compiler (and libraries, supporting tools...) can be installed without the entire IDE. See "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2017" under "Tools for Visual Studio 2017" at the bottom of https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrchack View Post
That won't work since it's just a text editor and doesn't include a compiler. You can compile C++ in VS Code, if you have Visual Studio or other C++ compiler (eg. MinGW) installed. VSCode is just launching other compilers, and you'll have to configure the launching yourself, too.
Thanks, I thought you could install the necessary compiler(s) and configure and save all the VS disk space like I do with other platforms in VSCode.

Like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Visual Studio's C++ compiler can be installed without the entire IDE.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
k.d.iv

Hi @clepsydrae

Firstly.. 40GB C: partition... nowadays is bulshit... at least 100GB are prefered.
For example: 500GB HDD - 100GB C: + what is left for D: or other.
1000GB(1TB) - 200GB + what is left for D: or other.

Second Visual studio has one setting for its own .vs file, where store some stuff. And i think every VS project has such folder.
When i first start with VS i saw that .vs folder was like 6GB
and with little research on google, found a setting where you can reduce the size. I set it to use 1GB if i remember corectly.
Also the Visual Studio size depend on what is installed with it(additional packs, sdk's, plugins etc.)

Search in google for "visual studio .vs large size"
k.d.iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
clepsydrae

Thanks -- I will check that out if I get back to this VS quest...