Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
kevs
Human being with feelings

Default How to seperate Tascam .wav

I got a portable Tascam, and it makes a .wav. I got it into Reaper, but how does one then make the track, which is 1/2 Stereo wav, recorded with two mics into separate tracks? Thanks
kevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
Reason

Not sure if there's a programmatic way to split it, but you could copy the stereo track and then pan one copy hard right and the other hard left. Then render those tracks as stems and (I think) you'll get two mono tracks. I haven't tested this.

If it's the DP008 and you were using the onboard mics, you'll probably still get quite a bit of crosstalk.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
henry the horse

There's an easier way-- Copy the media item to another track (or import it twice), so you have two identical tracks. Then convert both to mono:

Right-Click the media item,

Item Settings > Take Channel Mode: mono (left)

Then do the same for the other one, but choose mono (right)
henry the horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
kevs

Thanks guys, I'll test this tonight. Newbie, all this bit over my head, but good info.

I bought the Tascam DR-40 a few weeks ago.
I was actually surprised when you record with two external mics plugged in, you don't get two track. That's what I want and get when I do computer/ audio interface: Two mono tracks.

But the DR-40 calls it stereo and puts it all on one track.

I drag the .wav to the desktop and, from there just duplicate it?

I was looking also at the Zoom H4n, which cost about $60.00 more. Anyone know if that one, unlike the Tascam, brings in the .wav as two mono tracks? And also, any opinions on the Zoom vs the Tascam?

I'm using the Tascam only as an emergency backup to recording interviews on laptop with reaper/ and interface. So it wont get used that much, if ever. But if many feel strongly the Zoom is way way better, I have 9 days still to return the Tascam.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Thanks guys, I'll test this tonight. Newbie, all this bit over my head, but good info.

I bought the Tascam DR-40 a few weeks ago.
I was actually surprised when you record with two external mics plugged in, you don't get two track. That's what I want and get when I do computer/ audio interface: Two mono tracks.

But the DR-40 calls it stereo and puts it all on one track.

I drag the .wav to the desktop and, from there just duplicate it?

I was looking also at the Zoom H4n, which cost about $60.00 more. Anyone know if that one, unlike the Tascam, brings in the .wav as two mono tracks? And also, any opinions on the Zoom vs the Tascam?

I'm using the Tascam only as an emergency backup to recording interviews on laptop with reaper/ and interface. So it wont get used that much, if ever. But if many feel strongly the Zoom is way way better, I have 9 days still to return the Tascam.
Per an Amazon question (regarding recording 4 tracks at once), "- The device will save it as 2 stereo files, regardless of what you do" so it sounds like you'd be in the same boat.

You might look at a Tascam DP006/DP008/DP008EX or Zoom PS04/R8 or something similar. Those should allow simultaneous mono-track recording.

You could also try a kludge: record "one" track with the built in microphones and the other with separate mics, but located pretty close to the built in mics. That would give you two stereo tracks, and then use left from one set and right from the other. But at that point you're getting back to the solutions posted already, just a different way to get there.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
kevs

Sorry Reason, that mostly flew over my head, lot to absorb.

I'm just trying to recreate what happens with I make a Reaper project when I use my macbook air, and and audio interface. I open Reaper to edit, and I see two tracks. (it backup emergency recorder in case the laptop has issue)

With Tascam only see one track.

The Zoom you mentioned is actually a step down from the one I mentioned: it does not even accept external mics.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
pepe44

answering kev´s main question:

You recorder records with two mics to a single stereo file. ( or four if that was what you choose)
That file is stereo so why do you want to split that into two mono tracks ?

If you record in MS you would have a MID signal and a SIDE signal. if that is the case you need a MS decoder, there are many free . If you record to a stereo file, just import that file to reaper and work on that.

in case you need more info just go to this link : https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/...r-40_om_va.pdf
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
pepe44

If you have two mono tracks just import the file to two separate tracks and hard PAN left one and Hard right the other, there is you stereo mixed files
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
nofish

To adress the original question:
I often use free Wave Agent to split stereo/multichannel wav files into mono files (it can do batch splits).

Wave Agent classic, a bit further down the page, is enough for this.

Last edited by nofish; 01-22-2019 at 06:26 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
kevs

thanks Pepe and No Fish.
These are podcast interviews, hence no point in having the listener hear a person in one speaker and other in other speaker. Mono is actually preferred

I am used to the laptop/ Reaper/ Audio interface podcast recording setup and with that, (panned center) I guess since I recording organically with Reaper, when I click on project file later, I'm used to seeing two tracks, one for me and one for the guest.

Hence, I'm a bit disoriented that the Tascam file is just one track.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #11
pepe44

Explore the panning in reaper. Right click the pan button and try using the "Stereo pan" , place the width to 0% it should make your audio go centered. See if that works for you.

Regarding the file being stereo not dual mono is because you might have setup that in TASCAM recorder. Its a Stereo recorded. Take a look at the link above, its the manual, read it for more info on how to record audio with it.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
lowerbout

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#NXbKq2Aob-w
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
kevs

Thanks Lower, nice link. Will bookmark that....
Old 01-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
lowerbout

If you click Home -> Videos above you will find all of them.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote