Old 03-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Orchestral template for EW Products

Good afternoon friends:

After many years I am finally putting together a comprehensive template for all of my EastWest virtual libraries, or at least the orchestral libraries, starting with the Hollywood series. Those are huge, the samples alone are somewhere between 500 GB and 1 TB. Maybe even more.

I am creating subfolders for each of the four main sections (woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings), and then sub sub folders for individual instruments, solo and ensemble, and then sub sub sub folders for short / long / effects / legato, etc.

I'll spare you the details, but two practical questions:

1. I have over a hundred tracks already, and I am just at the brass (trumpets). I have a separate instance of Play for every individual instrument track, which is eating up CPU power like crazy. Disabling the FX brings it back to normal. Is that the way to go about it? Play is pretty efficient but I suppose running 300 instances simultaneously is too much for most computers.

2. I have plenty of RAM (24 GB), but I noticed that disabling the FX does not result in the instruments being unloaded. Is there a way to do this in Reaper? I know that in Cubase you can "disable" tracks, looking for something similar.

Thanks!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
heda

disabling the FX only disables the CPU processing. In order to unload them from memory you have to set them to offline. Right click in the effect and set Toggle Selected FX offline.
I hope that helps
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
peter5992

Thanks Heda!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
peter5992

Follow up question: can I combine (1) bypassing an FX and (2) taking an FX offline, in one shortcut?

How do I do that?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Follow up question: can I combine (1) bypassing an FX and (2) taking an FX offline, in one shortcut?

How do I do that?

Thanks!
you don't need to. Why do yo want that? Offline is also bypassing it and unloading from memory.
the good thing is that if you put it online again when you need it it will retain all your instrument settings.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
you don't need to. Why do yo want that? Offline is also bypassing it and unloading from memory.
the good thing is that if you put it online again when you need it it will retain all your instrument settings.
Oh!

Now I'm going to test that. I thought that taking it offline did not necessarily unload it from memory.