Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
holzon
Human being with feelings

Default Mapping arbitrary FX params with OSC

I've been doing a few TouchOSC layouts based on the Reaper OSC mappings, which has worked great for things like pan and volume, which have been easily addressable via their id number. FX params on the other hand seem trickier, the only thing I've seen used is iterator style access, where you jump from plugin to plugin.

My scenario is more like building up a favorite palette of commonly used FX params, so it could be params from many different tracks and plugins all being showed at the same time in the same layout. Am I missing something, is it possible to address multiple plugins at the same time somehow via the Reaper OSC mappings? Feedback back to my device is important, so Learn is not an option.

Thanks,
Jens
holzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzon View Post
Am I missing something, is it possible to address multiple plugins at the same time somehow via the Reaper OSC mappings?
Apparently - as this is very much possible. It works much the same way as volume, pan, etc. - you use their (track and) slot number as identifier.

Quote:
# Example: FX_PARAM_VALUE n/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value
# The device can send /track/3/fx/1,2,5/fxparam/6,7,7/value 0.25 0.5 0.75
# to set three FX parameter values at once, to 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 respectively.
Note that the practical limitation here is how much parameters you want to simultaneously expose per plug-in. You may have to set DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT to a (ridiculously) high number, depending on the plug-in with the most parameters / highest parameter number you need to use. Note that you can also dynamically set this value using e.g. /device/fxparam/count/1024 - so you could make a list of how many parameters each of your plug-ins uses, then adjust this value accordingly depending on effect name. (Afaik, TouchOSC is far too limited for that sort of thing, however.)

Last edited by Banned; 02-07-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
holzon

Brilliant! That's working perfectly. I was a bit hesitant to actually alter the ReaperOSC files yesterday, I was mostly piggy-backing on the existing mappings. It's still a bit arcane to me in how Reaper interprets these different mappings, if there are a few predefined message forms that it understands, or if it is more flexible than that. Anyway, thanks!
holzon is offline   Reply With Quote