Old 05-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
lisagloria
Human being with feelings

Default No, seriously, newbie

Wow I seem to be way more newbie than you all other newbies. Please don't hate my dumb questions:

All's I wanna do is take my forthcoming toneport ux-1, mic, guitar and vocals... lay down tracks one at a time, smack 'em with reverb or something, line 'em up on a beat, and export to a CD or mp3 that sounds more or less like real life. Is this too powerful an app for me?

I do not seem to have a MIDI input to enable. My toneport does not arrive until tomorrow. (I hope the midi is in there.) I tried to play around with the app and could get as far as the sample projects, but the readrums.tracktemplate wouldn't load/import. I think that's because I have no midi inputs?

What's a VSTi? Is it just another name for a plugin? Or filter?

I read the manual. OK, I read 1/2 the manual. Am I maybe in the wrong place?

Last edited by lisagloria; 05-03-2007 at 04:40 PM.
lisagloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
harphunt

No, it is not too much. It is inexpensive and easy enough for your current needs and powerful enough for any future needs.

PEACE
Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Tallisman

Linger longer.
play and post your questions. visit the wiki and download Nics manual.

you will slowly (maybe quickly) bend you head around Reaper, and be happy to never have to learn another recording application. ever.

yes. Reaper Kills.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

We'll each take one part of your questions! Easy one - VSTi is a virtual instrument.

See http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-2 for details.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
scum

if you are girl, i can give you personal and in private all the answers of all your questions!
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

There are no dumb questions, only Babyalogic
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
We'll each take one part of your questions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagloria View Post
Am I maybe in the wrong place?
Nope. This is the right place!

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
lisagloria

Thanks for the encouragement!

OK, I got my toneport ux1. I installed the gearmonkey, which I presume I need to be running in the background to get the input?

I changed properties to show the toneport as my input & output for everything, including MIDI. First, though the Gearmonkey EQ levels are showing that input is coming in, I can't hear it anywhere. Second, I changed the input on the track to the toneport, but nothing actually gets recorded when I hit the Record button. Third, Reaper is giving me a Midi error that it can't use the Toneport as a Midi device.

I'll keep at it! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Lisa
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
andyya

The toneport isn't a midi device. It is your new soundcard. I have the UX2 and it is definitely cool. Read through the Reaper manual. I didn't know anything about digital recording until I got my UX2 about 3 months ago, and started reading the manual and these posts. Read and Play, you will catch on soon enough.

Good luck and happy recording.
andyya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
lisagloria

It isn't? Well, heck. I didn't have any MIDI input devices listed before I installed it, and I thought that's what I was waiting for. I guess I will keep looking.

I am reading the manual, too. It's a good manual, though most of it is way over my head. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
lisagloria

I figured it out! Hooray! Thanks for the help; I am up and running now.

Holy cow those FX are cool as hell.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
Tallisman

Fantastic!

Quote:

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
lyquist

Quote:

What did you do to figure it out? I would like to know for myself. Thanks.
lyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
lisagloria

I disabled the toneport as the MIDI device, so I stopped getting that error. Then I re-enabled the realtek as output for WAV (I think - I'm not in front of that PC right now). Then I used Stereo (had been using all MIDI channels, duh) as the device for the active track when I armed it. Also, Gearmonkey is running in the background.

I knew it had to be some kind of basic setting I had screwed up, because I could see the EQ moving in Gearmonkey.

I still don't have a MIDI device, and I can't use ReaDrums or any of the MIDI FX. So I think that's next. Mama needs a drum machine.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
Bevosss

Quote:
I disabled the toneport as the MIDI device, so I stopped getting that error. Then I re-enabled the realtek as output for WAV (I think - I'm not in front of that PC right now). Then I used Stereo (had been using all MIDI channels, duh) as the device for the active track when I armed it. Also, Gearmonkey is running in the background.

I knew it had to be some kind of basic setting I had screwed up, because I could see the EQ moving in Gearmonkey.

I still don't have a MIDI device, and I can't use ReaDrums or any of the MIDI FX. So I think that's next. Mama needs a drum machine.
Just a couple of points:

1. That's Gearbox running the Line6 sounds...Gearmonkey is the application that updates your Toneport etc.

2. You probably will get better results using the Toneport as your audio device...you'll need to run a cable from the outputs of your Toneport to your stereo (or line in on your computer soundcard). Reason is, you will get much lower latency.

You need to go options-preferences-audio-device, choose asio, and choose the Toneport to enable it.

3. You can use the virtual midi keyboard in Reaper...just go view-show virtual midi kbd (or press alt-B)

Then record arm a track, left click on the meter, midi, all midi inputs, all midi channels. Click a key on the virtual keyboard and you should see a red indicator appear in the meter to show it's receiving midi.

You will need to open the fx browser for the track and choose a midi instrument (vsti) to be played by the midi.

Hope this helps..
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
lisagloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post

2. You probably will get better results using the Toneport as your audio device...you'll need to run a cable from the outputs of your Toneport to your stereo (or line in on your computer soundcard). Reason is, you will get much lower latency.

You will need to open the fx browser for the track and choose a midi instrument (vsti) to be played by the midi.
Brilliant! "Choose a midi instrument" Right!! OK I am on my way. Thanks so much.

I am definitely having a problem with latency. I played the guitar tracks first to the metronome, no problem. Before the last update (yesterday) I could sing to the guitar track and it would sync up OK, but not to the metronome after the first time. Yesterday, I assume there was a latency fix, because no the vocals DON'T sync up. I guess I should sing to the metronome? Dang, that's not going to help me hear my pitch much.