Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #201
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Oh and you can now download all the submissions from the 1st post
Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #202
cnyk

I def. didn't pick a metal song because it's what I like.. but because I don't have much experience mixing it... So it would be of more value as practice for me.
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #203
germano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Oh and you can now download all the submissions from the 1st post
DaveKeehl, I am not seeing the projects on the first post.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #204
DaveKeehl

fixed
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #205
martinmadero

Congrats to the winners! and to all who participate in this contest!!
I will listen to the submissions, now, and i post my opinions about it!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #206
DaveKeehl

This song was to me sort of a challenge, because it was the first time I had to use only my headphones, since I'm away from home, and frankly I wasn't used to it that much. So I think my mix lacked of a few things that maybe I would have added if I had used my monitors. Especially in my opinion, there wasn't enough bass and it sounded pretty "light" and maybe too bright. I want to partecipate also this month and I'll try to make a better mix this time
Old 04-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #207
cnyk

so, should we flip a coin or take a vote on the next one? I'm not picky.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #208
REAmix

Quote:
This song was to me sort of a challenge, because it was the first time I had to use only my headphones, since I'm away from home, and frankly I wasn't used to it that much. So I think my mix lacked of a few things that maybe I would have added if I had used my monitors. Especially in my opinion, there wasn't enough bass and it sounded pretty "light" and maybe too bright. I want to partecipate also this month and I'll try to make a better mix this time
I always mix in headphones mostly. I usually do most of it in headphones, and then when it's close to being finished, I listen a little bit on some stereo speakers, which aren't very good.

It definitely does make a difference, just the fact that you are listening on speakers. One thing that I have found kind of helps also, is to mix a little on mono. I'm finding that doing that towards the end is also helpful.

Mono, I think helps a bit like if you had speakers, but it's still not quite the same. It also helps get a clearer mix, because you aren't as satisfied as easily due to stereo panning. I think speakers are closer to achieving that same effect than headphones.

If all you have is headphones, I think it's definitely a disadvantage. I know that if I never did checks on speakers, my mixes would turn out differently.

For me, I find vocals are really affected by that. I think it's because on speakers, the sound from each speaker reinforces each other, if it's a mono signal, but the stereo pans don't, so you end up with a louder vocal on speakers comparatively, and the dynamics in the vocal I find are more noticeable on speakers also.

Obviously, it also depends what headphones and speakers you have. And I'm sure the room makes a big difference, but I haven't had the luxury of testing that one out.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #209
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyk View Post
so, should we flip a coin or take a vote on the next one? I'm not picky.
maybe let's go with the jazz one. I'll find a way to repay you xD
Old 04-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #210
Bri1
Banned

Although I did not enter,playing with this mixture of stems was actually a good teacher.
It helped me finally decide when there's just a mix,and where's a fix and mix.
Would say this set of files was more fixing,than mixing.

For eg,dj's mix,they do not fix.Quite the difference.
I guess the people who recorded the session also learnt something about better mic placements.
Congrates to all=)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #211
DaveKeehl

April contest begins tomorrow. Btw, nobody has to discuss anything?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #212
cnyk

Quote:
maybe let's go with the jazz one. I'll find a way to repay you xD
Maybe a foot rub?

BTW- Like REAmix, I also mix in mono for a good portion of mixing.. At least UNTIL I get aLL the levels set at their general positions and I have EQ'd everything so it has it's own 'space", I stay in mono.. And do most everything in headphones... Then reference on studio monitors, in car, laptop speakers etc.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #213
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
And do most everything in headphones... Then reference on studio monitors, in car, laptop speakers etc.
Find this also to be better approach here-headdies are the most non coloured way to monitor I find-- funny enough,this was 1 session tried on some bass heavy/muddy speakers-no phones(usual) kept a very tight span on the pans,practically no widths overall sounded just ok`ish..
Having rea wired some spanking speaker set-up,so changes i'm enjoying as of now. =)

The vocals were fairly close,everything else seemed pretty distant to me-needed quite a lot of fixing I thought.
Really enjoyed the actual track as a whole-definitely a project for those that put the *extra efforts in.

Looking forward to next selection.Cheerz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #214
Tod

Wow, heh heh, I wasn't even close to picking them right.

Congrats to the winners.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #215
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Wow, heh heh, I wasn't even close to picking them right.

Congrats to the winners.
Yeah they really got many points!
Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #216
DaveKeehl

April's contest is up by the way.

I made a few changes to the rules. Now the file has to be limited to -1 dB
Old 04-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #217
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
April contest begins tomorrow. Btw, nobody has to discuss anything?
Well, seeing that I finish near last I don't really have any advice on how to mix a song.

I was surprised to hear that I was the only one who did some major panning to the instruments. At least I didn't notice anything major in the other mixes.

Perhaps it's because I have a contrived notion of what is means "to mix a song". I've never mixed professionally, so I'm probably giving myself too much liberties. I can imagine that in a real world situation 'the client' would not be very happy if the person mixing did such things to a song.

So... Why no panning? Is it wrong to make a stereophonic mix of a big band ensemble?

I was going to leave everything in the middle, but I couldn't. I had lots of fun panning one sax 100% left and another 100% right (leaving the third in the middle), one trumpet 60% L and the other 60R, etc. I also had great fun deciding which instruments to highlight and shine a spot light.

Once I heard the other mixes I knew I was going to finish last...Oupppssss :S

What did I learn? That I should not try to mix professionally. hehehe

Congrats to the winners. I did vote for these songs: I thought the low end was better (hey I'm a bass fan), the vocals were clear, and your songs were not drowning in reverb.

Last edited by RDBOIS; 04-02-2017 at 06:28 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #218
cnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Well, seeing that I finish near last I don't really have any advice on how to mix a song.

I was surprised to hear that I was the only one who did some major panning to the instruments. At least I didn't notice anything major in the other mixes.

Perhaps it's because I have a contrived notion of what is means "to mix a song". I've never mixed professionally, so I'm probably giving myself too much liberties. I can imagine that in a real world situation 'the client' would not be very happy if the person mixing did such things to a song.

So... Why no panning? Is it wrong to make a stereophonic mix of a big band ensemble?

I was going to leave everything in the middle, but I couldn't. I had lots of fun panning one sax 100% left and another 100% right (leaving the third in the middle), one trumpet 60% L and the other 60R, etc. I also had great fun deciding which instruments to highlight and shine a spot light.

Once I heard the other mixes I knew I was going to finish last...Oupppssss :S

What did I learn? That I should not try to mix professionally. hehehe

Congrats to the winners. I did vote for these songs: I thought the low end was better (hey I'm a bass fan), the vocals were clear, and your songs were not drowning in reverb.

I hear what you're saying regarding panning.... I definitely panned a lot of stuff, and I usually try to fill the stereo field... BUT, before I do that fun part, I keep it in mono and set the basic levels, and I EQ and compress things.. Basically, I keep it in mono until it sounds good and I actually FORGET it's in mono.. then I switch to stereo. Panning is important, to give things their own "place" in the landscape, but I think more importantly, I carving out EQ 'holes' for things. For instance, when you have multiple saxophones playing at once, how to you make them NOT sound like pure MUSH? I solo one, add an EQ plugin and with one band and I'll go back and forth looking for the "sweet" spot for that specific sax, once I find it, I'll leave it there, then do the same thing for other ones- THEN, I'll open the plugins for all saxes, and SUBTRACT the same dB from the others- so each has it's own "space".. Not sure if this makes sense.. In this pic- Sax 2 sounded sweet at 3073 at +5dB, so I also subtracted -5dB from sax 1 at 3073.... So they have their own sonic space.. more elbow room. All that I usually do in mono until I can hear the song open up and sound clear, then I switch to stereo and pan stuff for a wider mix.

Last edited by cnyk; 04-02-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #219
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
I hear what you're saying regarding panning.... I definitely panned a lot of stuff, and I usually try to fill the stereo field... BUT, before I do that fun part, I keep it in mono and set the basic levels, and I EQ and compress things.. Basically, I keep it in mono until it sounds good and I actually FORGET it's in mono.. then I switch to stereo. Panning is important, to give things their own "place" in the landscape, but I think more importantly, I carving out EQ 'holes' for things. For instance, when you have multiple saxophones playing at once, how to you make them NOT sound like pure MUSH? I solo one, add an EQ plugin and with one band and I'll go back and forth looking for the "sweet" spot for that specific sax, once I find it, I'll leave it there, then do the same thing for other ones- THEN, I'll open the plugins for all saxes, and SUBTRACT the same dB from the others- so each has it's own "space".. Not sure if this makes sense.. In this pic- Sax 2 sounded sweet at 3073 at +5dB, so I also subtracted -5dB from sax 1 at 3073.... So they have their own sonic space.. more elbow room. All that I usually do in mono until I can hear the song open up and sound clear, then I switch to stereo and pan stuff for a wider mix.
Awesome.Thanks for sharing that!

I like the idea of forgetting that you're in MONO and working until it sounds good. I will incorporate this in my workflow.

I like the carving out technique. What is the sweet spot? What do you do if two instruments share a same freq spot? Do you consider things like 'root notes' vs third or fifths? Or even harmonics or octaves?

Is all panning done in stereo and then a volume check re-done in mono, or is the final volume setting done in stereo?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #220
cnyk

Quote:

I like the idea of forgetting that you're in MONO and working until it sounds good. I will incorporate this in my workflow.

I like the carving out technique. What is the sweet spot? What do you do if two instruments share a same freq spot? Do you consider things like 'root notes' vs third or fifths? Or even harmonics or octaves?

Is all panning done in stereo and then a volume check re-done in mono, or is the final volume setting done in stereo?
Well, I dont know what's "proper", but for me, I recheck in mono often to make sure I havent "lost" anything... Mono sounds like crap, no question.. But I do feel that once I can create a mix that is somewhat "open" and uncluttered with basically just EQ and basic level setting in mono, it will usually translate to multiple systems/environments better..
I dont really consider notes or octaves etc.. Not technically anyway.. I just tweak until it sounds right. And always use a reference mix. 1st thing I do is grab a song that is in the same genre/style.. For this one I think I used a band called the "post modern jukebox"... It's so easy to mix away for 2 hours thinking it sounds great until you compare it to a great mix, and it's a rude awakening.. You wasted 2 hours training your ears to like garbage! lol... I always switch between a major label mix and my own to compare whatever element I'm working on at any given time.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #221
DaveKeehl

Quote:

check out this video (if you still don't know Graham from the Recording Revolution)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #222
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
check out this video (if you still don't know Graham from the Recording Revolution)
That was a good vid. Thanks.

After that, I ended up watching someone talk about mastering MID/SIDE. Something about using dynamic EQ only on the MID signal and leaving the SIDES out of the equation. Interesting stuff...