Old 03-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Traveler
Human being with feelings

Default Seek question.

I have been demoing Reaper the past few days, and found it rather annoying that the seek for playback moves with a single click no matter where I click within the playlist (or piano roll), for example, double clicking to open the piano roll will move the playback to start there, and once inside it will move if I click within the piano roll. Is there any way to require more then a single left click to move the start position, as I typically want playback to start from the beginning of the playlist or pianoroll. I found options to change how playback position behaves while it is playing, but not to control how it behaves once stopped, and started again.

Regards,
Ryan.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

There's stuff in preferences for configuring seek behaviour. Seek and ye shall find. Ouch, sorry.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
There's stuff in preferences for configuring seek behaviour. Seek and ye shall find. Ouch, sorry.
Ouch, sorry? Not fallowing you there, anyhow, as I said, I found all the seek options (that I am aware of), and they have nothing to do with what I am explaining.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Tallisman

[Ctrl + P] goto prefs --> Audio --> playback & record... there are toggles there that will cure your ills... was driving me nuts too... now it isn't.

t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Ouch, sorry? Not fallowing you there, anyhow, as I said, I found all the seek options (that I am aware of), and they have nothing to do with what I am explaining.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
[Ctrl + P] goto prefs --> Audio --> playback & record... there are toggles there that will cure your ills... was driving me nuts too... now it isn't.

t.
This still isn't what I am after, this is what I already found. Let me try and explain better.

If I click on the playlist (for whatever reason its not important why) it will add the seek line and if I hit play, it will now play from that position, I don't want it to play from there. I am constantly opening edit windows from the playlist which moves the seek allover the place, places I don't want, and I ALWAYS want my project to play from the start unless I seek while its playing (this is how all other hosts I've worked with do it, and I much prefer it). I am pretty sure I have checked and unchecked every option in the playback settings and have found nothing to change this.

Hope that is clearer, thanks.

:edit: if I could control the start position with a command that I can avoid (not a simple mouse click) it would just be perfect.

Last edited by Traveler; 03-25-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Tallisman

Ok... gotcha.

what we need is a playback start marker that, if enabled, will not move.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Traveler

Quote:
Ok... gotcha.

what we need is a playback start marker that, if enabled, will not move.
That would be great.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Billoon

I think we need an option to unlink the play cursor from the edit cursor completely...

...so you can stop>play cursor returns to where it played from and stays there...while the edit cursor would "stop in position" so you can edit...then play from last play position.

If you wanted stop in position for the play cursor...use a macro...stop>move play cursor to edit cursor.

...and while unlinked you could use a modifier to temporarily link them so you can seek a playback position.

What do you think?
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
Tallisman

maybe like the FR here: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7584
t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post
I think we need an option to unlink the play cursor from the edit cursor completely...

...so you can stop>play cursor returns to where it played from and stays there...while the edit cursor would "stop in position" so you can edit...then play from last play position.

If you wanted stop in position for the play cursor...use a macro...stop>move play cursor to edit cursor.

...and while unlinked you could use a modifier to temporarily link them so you can seek a playback position.

What do you think?

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post

What do you think?
Seems that could be a fairly workable solution, and you'd have access to both (opposed to it being an on/off check box), so not bad at all.

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the link, will have to 2nd that one.

Last edited by Traveler; 03-25-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

Use marker zero and jump to it by key? (Should work, haven't checked).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 AM   #12
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Use marker zero and jump to it by key? (Should work, haven't checked).
It works for the playlist, but working within the piano roll (or other edit windows) it has no effect. Thanks though.