Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
TFF
Human being with feelings

Default Beatstep Pro - Does it play nice?

I'm thinking about picking one up to use with Reaper, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience using the two together. I'd like them to run from the same clock (either Reaper's or the Beatstep's) and use the Beatstep sequencer to send midi notes into Reaper. Has anyone had issues with this?
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
vanhaze

Interesting question ; would also like this to know.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Mink99

Highly recommended,

If you are using midi and analog cv/gate based gear, this will be a great enhancement for your setup. If you have a usb power supply it will also run standalone.

It can even be used as a midi/cv converter on hz/v or oct/volt , perfect for ms20 or Yamaha cs users, the 0 volt base tone can be shifted for analog synths that do not have a "C" as 0 volt base tone (Roland sh-5) , can provide midi clock to Roland clock (tr808) or 16th clock conversion. So you can even sync a pocket operator po12 or a boss dr220 or a korg vodka drums .(all tested)

You will have two independent monophonic tracks, midi or cv , and one drum track.

Go to the next store and test it. It's worth every cent.

Integration into reaper was very straight forward for me, as reaper sent a midi clock (grmpfh...) which was received by the bs . The bs midi output is then directly routed by a midi patchbay to the receiving synth, the output of this synt is then recorded as audio. The recorded sequence I am able to transposed or modifed in realtime through a midi keyboard or directly on the knobs & buttons.

Of course the midi output can also be recorded back to reaper....

Last edited by Mink99; 08-15-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
unmixed

Whats the build like on the BSP,Arturia aint got that good of a rep lately with the SE MB
unmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Mink99

Mine is built like a tank, but from other colleagues some doubts have been issued on the faders/pots, which I have not experienced. 30 day money back....

Most important : it is heavy, so it will not skip or fall by the weight of the plugs.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
TFF

Awesome, thanks for the info! Still a little iffy if I'll pick one up but it's good to know it does what I need.
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Highly recommended,

Integration into reaper was very straight forward for me, as reaper sent a midi clock (grmpfh...) which was received by the bs . The bs midi output is then directly routed by a midi patchbay to the receiving synth, the output of this synt is then recorded as audio. The recorded sequence I am able to transposed or modifed in realtime through a midi keyboard or directly on the knobs & buttons.

Of course the midi output can also be recorded back to reaper....
Can REAPER be also slave to BeatStep?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Riinehart

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having an issue I can't seem to figure out.

What I'd like to do: Sync my Beatstep Pro to reaper, so I can use it to sequence some modular gear.

Everything works fine, so long as I use the internal clock of the BSP. However, if I slave it to Reaper (which is what I want, to keep in time with the project I'm working on), there's some kind of midi message mix-up, where as soon as I hit Play, something seems to be simultaneously hitting Pause. So basically I get just a little stutter and immediate stop every time I press Play.

This happens whether I press play on the BSP, or if I press Play in Reaper.

Again, no issue at all if I sync the BSP to INT.

Has anyone been through this problem? Any ideas? Is there something simple I'm missing?

Many thanks!
Riinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
CountZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinehart View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having an issue I can't seem to figure out.

What I'd like to do: Sync my Beatstep Pro to reaper, so I can use it to sequence some modular gear.

Everything works fine, so long as I use the internal clock of the BSP. However, if I slave it to Reaper (which is what I want, to keep in time with the project I'm working on), there's some kind of midi message mix-up, where as soon as I hit Play, something seems to be simultaneously hitting Pause. So basically I get just a little stutter and immediate stop every time I press Play.

This happens whether I press play on the BSP, or if I press Play in Reaper.

Again, no issue at all if I sync the BSP to INT.

Has anyone been through this problem? Any ideas? Is there something simple I'm missing?

Many thanks!
Hi!

New user here and I'm having this exact issue with my BSP. Whenever a track is armed and I hit record it seems to send a burst of start/stop messages. Did anyone find a resolution to this problem?

Thanks!
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote