Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #121
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Here's a thought. Is it possible that he's using a 32 bit version of REAPER for Linux, and Dragonfly is 64 bit, so REAPER cannot see it?
Well with the name of the VST archive including the description "64-bit", I sort of hope that's not his problem.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #122
Stringer

It's 64 bit Reaper. I have had the DragonflyReverb-vst.so file in both of the places that Michael indicates, but I don't think I have had the file in those places at the same time. I can try that. But someone else in this thread said not to put other VSTs in Reaper's own VST folder.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #123
JamesPeters

Yes, don't put any plugins into the folder with all the ReaSuite plugins. You'll know them by their "Rea" prefixes in their names.

A thought occurred to me: did you check the list of dependencies before installing Reaper? I knew my system met all the dependencies in advance.

Also have you tried other Linux VST plugins to see if they are "invisible" to Reaper as well? Try Airwindows plugins for instance.

@Michael Willis: Dragonfly shows up in the Reaper VST list with this description:

Code:
VST: Dragonfly Reverb`_¹}ÿ (Michael Willis, Rob van den Ber)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-26-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #124
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
@Michael Willis: Dragonfly shows up in the Reaper VST list with this description:

Code:
VST: Dragonfly Reverb`_¹}ÿ (Michael Willis, Rob van den Ber)
Oh weird. I really should get at least the demo version of reaper on my Linux machine to see if I can fix that. I've only tested it with reaper on a Mac, which didn't show weird characters like that.
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #125
Stringer

Quote:
Yes, don't put any plugins into the folder with all the ReaSuite plugins. You'll know them by their "Rea" prefixes in their names.

A thought occurred to me: did you check the list of dependencies before installing Reaper? I knew my system met all the dependencies in advance.

Also have you tried other Linux VST plugins to see if they are "invisible" to Reaper as well? Try Airwindows plugins for instance.
I updated Reaper and put the Airwindows plugin GuitarConditioner.so in the directory with Dragonfly. No luck.

According to the Linux Mint software manager I think I have all the dependencies except perhaps libstdc++.so.5. That does not seem to be in the repositories. How do I install that?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #126
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I updated Reaper and put the Airwindows plugin GuitarConditioner.so in the directory with Dragonfly. No luck.

According to the Linux Mint software manager I think I have all the dependencies except perhaps libstdc++.so.5. That does not seem to be in the repositories. How do I install that?
That's not listed in the list of dependencies specifically. libstdc++ in general is though. Check for that instead. (I have libstdc++6 installed, which apparently is version 6.x of that. Among all its files, I have libstdc++.so.6 installed.)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #127
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
Oh weird. I really should get at least the demo version of reaper on my Linux machine to see if I can fix that. I've only tested it with reaper on a Mac, which didn't show weird characters like that.
Maybe you shouldn't install Reaper for linux. You'll get hooked.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #128
Stringer

Quote:
That's not listed in the list of dependencies specifically. libstdc++ in general is though. Check for that instead. (I have libstdc++6 installed, which apparently is version 6.x of that. Among all its files, I have libstdc++.so.6 installed.)
Ok, it looks like both libstdc++5 and 6 are installed.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #129
JamesPeters

Well since your system won't "see" any Linux VST plugins, I'd have to say there's something specific to your setup that's amiss. I don't think I'll be able to help further. You know where the VST path setting is in Reaper preferences, you know how to add/change paths, your system meets the dependencies for Reaper, etc.--I can't think of anything else. Short of actually being there and getting my filthy hands on your computer, there's nothing I can do.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #130
Stringer

Quote:
Well since your system won't "see" any Linux VST plugins, I'd have to say there's something specific to your setup that's amiss. I don't think I'll be able to help further. You know where the VST path setting is in Reaper preferences, you know how to add/change paths, your system meets the dependencies for Reaper, etc.--I can't think of anything else. Short of actually being there and getting my filthy hands on your computer, there's nothing I can do.
Thanks for the help though. Eventually I wil figure this out.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #131
Peevy

@Michael Willis

I have installed Dragonfly & while it seems to be working there are no UI fonts. I'm on Manjaro & I'm pretty sure I have all dependencies installed. Great reverb by the way

Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #132
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
@Michael Willis

I have installed Dragonfly & while it seems to be working there are no UI fonts. I'm on Manjaro & I'm pretty sure I have all dependencies installed. Great reverb by the way

You must have downloaded dragonfly: mystery edition, the reverb plug-in that gives you no clue what's going on.

Ok, seriously, I'm not sure what would cause this. I haven't had anybody report this before. The fonts are built in to the plug-in, so it's not that... I'm guessing it has something to do with the graphics library that renders the font. As a stopgap until we figure this out, does reaper give you an option of a generic interface with sliders that you can use to interact with the plug-in?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #133
Peevy

Quote:
I'm guessing it has something to do with the graphics library that renders the font. As a stopgap until we figure this out, does reaper give you an option of a generic interface with sliders that you can use to interact with the plug-in?
Yes that's what I've been doing. The only thing I can think of that might be causing problems could be my nvidia 7600LE GPU because I do sometimes have to turn of compositing when resizing items in Reaper. The card is no longer supported by nvidia so I have to use the free drivers & overall graphical performance isn't great. I'll hopefully have a new PC soon though since this test machine is a bit of a dinosaur.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #134
Stringer

Default Problem solved!

Reaper can now see Dragonfly! What I had to do was actually hit the "add" button and add the path, even though it was already displayed as a default. The window lets you type in other paths too, but they don't mean anything unless you actually go through the add process, which seems like sort of a bug.

Dragonfly sounds good. Very useful.

Thanks for all the help folks!
Old 10-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #135
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Thanks for all the help folks!
Woo! Great success!

I would love to hear what you end up doing with it, if you are inclined to share.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #136
Michael Willis

I just opened up a new conversation about Dragonfly Reverb to include the non-Linux folks: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2051813 If anybody wants to report bugs, share successes, or otherwise discuss the use of Dragonfly Reverb with Reaper, please continue the conversation there. Well, unless it's specifically related to getting it to work on Linux, then I guess here would be appropriate.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #137
lilith93

I'm somewhat torn between Ardour and Reaper. Ardour because I like the Mixer Window with the integrated timeline and the possibility to load LV2 plugins. Also the in-track midi editor has a lot of advantages. IMO it's faster than opening the midi editor in Reaper, adjusting the height and close it again. In Reaper I'm always adjusting heights of things, maybe my workflow is just not optimzed? My screen is (only) 24", maybe that's also an issue.

Reaper offers much more functions, but I wonder if that helps to improve my creativity.

I wonder what LV2 plugins you typically use which are hardly replaceable and what are your thoughts on the other points. I'm not using Wine and I want to stay with native plugins if possible. I'm working mostly with midi data and VSTs.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #138
JamesPeters

You can dock the MIDI editor window, if that helps. So then it'll always appear in the docker area (however you set it up).

I don't use LV2 at all since I didn't start with any other Linux DAW (not counting years ago when I briefly tried it, because so much has changed since then). I see some LV2 that I'd like to try in Reaper if that functionality becomes available, but I'm ok with JS and Linux VST for now. I won't die without LV2.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #139
wwwmaze

Reaper has an in-track midi editor too, called "Inline editor". Select the item(s) and press "E".
wwwmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #140
Michael Willis

Quote:
@Michael Willis

Sorry it took me forever to get back to this one... I had somebody else report that he has two computers; one with OpenGL 2 that has this problem, but it work on the other computer with OpenGL 3.

Use the following terminal command to find out which version you have:

glxinfo | grep -i "opengl version string"
Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #141
Peevy

Quote:
Sorry it took me forever to get back to this one... I had somebody else report that he has two computers; one with OpenGL 2 that has this problem, but it work on the other computer with OpenGL 3.

Use the following terminal command to find out which version you have:

glxinfo | grep -i "opengl version string"
Thanks for keeping at it though. Here's the output of that command: OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.4

Looks like I'm on openGL 2, this is a more than 10 years old PC that I've been using until I build my new one hopefully soon. So I'm not expecting everything to work perfectly graphically especially since my GPU is no longer supported with nvidia drivers. So hopefully everything will work much better with the new build.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #142
Michael Willis

Quote:
Looks like I'm on openGL 2
Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to get it working on GL 2.

For what it's worth, I'm trying out a virtual woodwinds collection, and after I couldn't get it to work, the author wrote me back effectively saying that my circa 2011 AMD processor was ancient history and didn't have some feature require by his VST. I thought that was kind of bonkers, but I swapped out the mobo/CPU combos between my music machine and our family computer. Like magic it worked.

Anyway, story time is over, and your problem is software, not hardware. You might be surprised if you just upgraded to a newer version of Linux it might just work. Of course a full upgrade of your whole comp will work just fine too.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #143
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I wonder what LV2 plugins you typically use which are hardly replaceable and what are your thoughts on the other points. I'm not using Wine and I want to stay with native plugins if possible. I'm working mostly with midi data and VSTs.
I'd use LV2 for loading Calf Studio Gear:
https://calf-studio-gear.org/

It should be possible to run stand-alone version, under DAW's like Ardour and so, but I want it in Reaper ^^

Unfortunatelly...

Aside that, I'm thinking about something like Mod Duo:https://www.moddevices.com/
A pedal where you can load effect stomp boxes on, for guitar and synth.
However, it's quite expensive...
What are your thoughts about this?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #144
Peevy

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to get it working on GL 2.
No problem. I've been looking into it & it does seem that some older hardware can limit your PC to using GL 2 & this machine was built in 2008. But not to worry my iMac is sold & I have a new mobo, ram & a 8700k ordered so that should keep me going for maybe another 10 years

The 6700k that was in the imac never struggled so I think I'll be good with the 8700k. Anyway keep up the good work & hopefully I'll have dragonfly running in my my new build soon with a fully operational GUI!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #145
lilith93

Quote:
You can dock the MIDI editor window, if that helps. So then it'll always appear in the docker area (however you set it up).

I don't use LV2 at all since I didn't start with any other Linux DAW (not counting years ago when I briefly tried it, because so much has changed since then). I see some LV2 that I'd like to try in Reaper if that functionality becomes available, but I'm ok with JS and Linux VST for now. I won't die without LV2.
I have the midi editor docked already. I think I just have to get used to it and to the short cuts. Especially Alt-D Alt+E and Alt+R drives me crazy as I accidently open the routing matrix with Alt+R all the time instead of hitting Alt+E

The Calf Plugins look nice, but I heard that they are not so well done... Anyway...many people use them and they seem to be satisfied. And they are free, so no need to complain.

Last edited by lilith93; 11-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #146
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I have the midi editor docked already. I think I just have to get used to it and to the short cuts. Especially Alt-D Alt+E and Alt+R drives me crazy as I accidently open the routing matrix with Alt+R all the time instead of hitting Alt+E

The Calf Plugins look nice, but I heard that they are not so well done... Anyway...many people use them and they seem to be satisfied. And they are free, so no need to complain.
You may want to reassign some shortcuts in Reaper. I've done a few...I forget which ones, it was so long ago.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #147
lilith93

Quote:
You may want to reassign some shortcuts in Reaper. I've done a few...I forget which ones, it was so long ago.
Yup, also possible. But I try to use the standards, cause when I loose my config I don't need to learn new short cuts.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #148
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwmaze View Post
That's not what you wanted? Is this not the same a Ardours in-track midi-editor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Yeq43tix0
That's perfect, thanks a lot! I knew the in-track midi editor, but I was not aware of 5:50.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #149
s wave

Default Side note OT... I use Calf analyzer...

I really like the 'Calf Analyzer' I like the visuals. I can A/B or reference or another sound or rhythm and see the mono/stereo spectrum well. It just fits me nicely. I will record in mono and as I get to stereo mixing and mastering I can see quickly what I am doing to the sound on a wider basis. I do use the flange/phaser for a few sounds too. I would just download the whole calf plugin set to Audacity and run through them quickly. I think you will find a few.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #150
Fourstepper

First s wave, how did you get calf plugin working in Reaper since it doesnt support lv2?

Secondly, did anyone try running Izotope Iris 2 and Izotope Trash 2 on linux using Wine/LinVST?

I´ve done some tinkering so far with linux workflow and bridging but i dont have a linux system right now and those two izotope plugs are real great, so thats why im interested.

And towards the end, i would like to mention Bliss sampler by DiscoDSP, which is literally the first sample that works for my workflow and doesnt fail at drag and drop audio from Reaper and drag and drop midi back after you are done (for example chopping a break or something like that)(tested on macos only)

Cheers
Fourstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #151
JamesPeters

I'm guessing S Wave loaded Calf as standalone (using JACK).

Respectfully, I'd like to ask that this particular thread remain only about native Linux plugins for Reaper. They are fewer than LV2, Windows-bridged, etc. so a thread like this should hopefully steer free of clutter by not discussing the others. The point of a thread like this is to help those who want to just use native Linux solutions with Reaper, the most easy-to-setup plugins for it (currently that's: Linux VST, JS). Plus there's already a thread for using Windows plugins in Linux.

I will only use native plugins for Reaper in Linux, for instance. I won't use anything Windows-based that's bridged, anything Reaper in Linux doesn't natively support, or even "standalone" plugins/synths that require JACK. I want a similar experience in Linux as I had in Windows or OSX: I open Reaper, there's no nonsense, everything loads fine and saves with the project.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #152
Fourstepper

Quote:
I'm guessing S Wave loaded Calf as standalone (using JACK).

Respectfully, I'd like to ask that this particular thread remain only about native Linux plugins for Reaper. They are fewer than LV2, Windows-bridged, etc. so a thread like this should hopefully steer free of clutter by not discussing the others. The point of a thread like this is to help those who want to just use native Linux solutions with Reaper, the most easy-to-setup plugins for it (currently that's: Linux VST, JS). Plus there's already a thread for using Windows plugins in Linux.

I will only use native plugins for Reaper in Linux, for instance. I won't use anything Windows-based that's bridged, anything Reaper in Linux doesn't natively support, or even "standalone" plugins/synths that require JACK. I want a similar experience in Linux as I had in Windows or OSX: I open Reaper, there's no nonsense, everything loads fine and saves with the project.
Fair play Thats why I also added the other stuff
Fourstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #153
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Aside that, I'm thinking about something like Mod Duo:https://www.moddevices.com/
A pedal where you can load effect stomp boxes on, for guitar and synth.
However, it's quite expensive...
What are your thoughts about this?
It went quite fast lately... I looked around and some guy was selling it second hand in my region... Went to buy it, at a cheaper rate.
Just to say it works perfect.
Still have to play around to get the good tones and balance my ins/outs for the instruments I'm using on it. Endless possibilities !

I guess my setup is complete now. ^^