Old 02-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Cragster
Human being with feelings

Default tascam us1800 audio issue

im having a static problem during playback. after so long the playback starts to static and if i go to my audio device config (which is the tascam us1800 ) the us1800 has its own config window where you can select latency performance, digital output channels and sample clock source.and i found by accident that when i select the sample clock source dropdown and switch to internal then back to automatic it takes away the audio static for a while until it comes back then i hafta do it again..and again . does anyone have an idea why this is and can i fix without having to get a new interface ? thanks all
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
poetnprophet

Hey Cragster. is there a reason why you have the clock set to automatic instead of just internal (or whatever you need)?

How is the device connected, USB? if so, do you have the power settings disabled for USB? These are windows settings to prevent power disruptions to USB....something like that.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Cragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hey Cragster. is there a reason why you have the clock set to automatic instead of just internal (or whatever you need)?

How is the device connected, USB? if so, do you have the power settings disabled for USB? These are windows settings to prevent power disruptions to USB....something like that.
its connected by usb. i hafta enable something on my pc ? can u guide me ? its set to automatic because of the way the manual descibed what to do. something obout a digital and if you have it on automatic its kinda like both settings .it automatically switches between the 2 .idk its complicated to me but i tried both settings and its the same .but wen i switch to one then the other it stops the static for a while .i dont know its weird. i hope i explained that somewhat understandably. thanks poet

Last edited by Cragster; 02-07-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
poetnprophet

hey dude, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I forgot about this one!

I don't recall exactly, but you should start with a guide like this:

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-...sic-production

Item #4 in this list is specific to USB devices.

Let me know how it goes
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
kirk1701

I'm having a similar issue with a US-600. I'm hoping this thread will offer some solutions.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
billybuck

I've had similar problems with a Tascam US-1800 and I go between thinking I have them sorted out to having them come back again. My PC is an Intel i5 CPU, solid state drive, 8 Gb of RAM. For live tracking sessions I'm usually doing 8 channels of audio and one instance of Arturia Analog Lab 4 VSTi.

Some things to check

--Latest Tascam driver?
--Plugged into USB 2.0 port (not 3.0--that's important)?
--Direct into PC--not using a hub?
--Wifi adapter disabled during recording/playback?
--No other resource-intensive devices running on USB?
--Antivirus software disabled (particularly if you use Avast)?
--Power management turned off on all USB ports?
--System power set to "high performance?"
--What latency setting are you using in the driver?
--What bit depth/sample rate are you using?
--Hard drive is defragmented?
--Where is your "direct monitoring" knob set on the Tascam?
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Cragster

Im seriously thinking its windows 10.this seemed to have started when i upgraded to 10 from 7 and im also thinking its time to try a new interface. Maybe a focusrite. Cause believe me i think ive tried evrything
Old 02-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
serr

If the sample rate clock - and which device is being used as master sample rate clock - is a mystery and randomly set, you'll have dropout problems with clicks and pops if any sound comes out.

If you have a single audio interface connected, select its internal sample rate clock as master.

If you were to connect another digital device to one of the interface's digital inputs, now you'd have to either choose that digital input for clock master or connect another digital cable to the additional device to sync it to the interface first.
If you were to make an aggregate device of your USB interface with your built-in interface (built in to your logic board), you'd have to sync one to the other.

For using a single interface, set the clock to internal.

If it has a setting called "automatic"... I wonder what that really means. Incredibly poor way of labeling such a thing but that aside, the manual should translate what they meant to say there. You can either choose the internal clock or make it use clock coming in on a digital audio connection or use a word clock connection if it has one. There's no such thing as "automatic".

Digital clocks run a bit more accurately than a tape deck motor. So... when you screw up and set more than one digital device in a system to use it's internal clock (for one example of screwing up), they will stay in sync for a bit before they finally drift enough that the samples don't line up between them anymore. That's when you start getting the clicks and pops from dropouts.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote