Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #121
swiiscompos
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Feature requests:

1. To improve clarity draw dots of dotted notes in empty space between staff lines and ledger lines.
Yes. Standard is to draw the dot in the space above, as if the note was one step higher. If there is already another note then draw it below. If it's a cluster then simply don't draw points for every note. Here is an example that should make it clearer:

swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #122
semiquaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You can enter text like "andante" or anything else. Hover over the top of the staff until you find the light blue notation lane, and right click. There is also a yellow lyric lane beneath the staff (or between the staves, if viewing treble+bass clef together).
thanks - no hoping to change the actual BPM
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #123
Lawrence

Just wanted to say that even though I don't read or write the language of music, I think what Schwa did here (or more accurately "is doing", it being a work in progress) is pretty damn impressive.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #124
Jae.Thomas

could we possibly get something which highlights the elements we are hovering over?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #125
semiquaver

and just wanted to say that this is way beyond what I expected we would get so ->thank you<- Schwa (and boss J) -this is going to help me immensely
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #126
Flalaski

Default :)

Just wanna say that I'm loving this feature! very easy to place notes, looks and works great.
as others have said a Printing/PDF feature would make this the Best thing ever.

Edit: the scrolling is a bit odd. would it be better for simple scroll to move up/down, and ctrl+scroll to scale it instead?

Works great here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3J44ZT541w
Flalaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #127
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
Bugs/nitpicking:

the green bar should be behind the note (now it looks messy and makes the dot almost invisible.)
I agree, selected small note values may be difficult to see otherwise, but surely there is another solution... what if the coloured bar went behind the note head, and the note-head was outlined in colour as well?

This could possibly be rendered by using a slightly larger font size of the music notation typeface for the "outline" and placing the regular-sized black note-head on top of it. I cant really speak to the execution but surely this would be a cleaner solution?

Also, if theming was enabled, even a simple outline like this could be eminently visible, so long as the outline was brighter than the background. The current green on white stands out in terms of colour, but not value, so a simple outline might not appear to be effective or visible enough for some. But if, for example, the background were themed slightly darker, and the selection bar and outline were a bright value, it could increase visibility of such an outline still further.

Last edited by Commala; 02-13-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #128
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
thanks - no hoping to change the actual BPM

The MIDI always follows the project bpm, so if you want to insert a tempo change, you can right click on a measure divider and choose "insert tempo / time signature / rhythm pattern", which will insert a project tempo change marker.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #129
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Just wanted to say that even though I don't read or write the language of music, I think what Schwa did here (or more accurately "is doing", it being a work in progress) is pretty damn impressive.

I hope Justin has gave schwa a good bonus for this!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #130
snooks
Banned

Great stuff schwa, there's been a lot of thought and work put into this... thanks.

On to bug(s)...

The scrolling line/cursor is negatively offset by an amount equal to the offset of the item from project start (bar 1). So if an item starts at bar 3, playing from bar 3 results in it being played properly but the cursor scans from bar 1.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #131
snooks
Banned

Two cheeky FRs....

Quantize Display - displayed somewhere and variable.

Note Visibility - for mordents, trills etc (plus the symbols)
Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #132
Commala

Ah, I see the current coloured bars also are used to represent velocity, channel, source, and the like. That somewhat complicates my suggestion, as some of these colours will be more or less visible/suitable for use as a selection indicator. Could still work well enough to see the selection of shorter notes adequately, perhaps.

Also, I couldn't get the "colour notes by pitch" to work properly. I've got notes selected, but their selection bars don't appear to get independently coloured according to each pitch.

And there is some conflict with the current selection/colouring implementation and some themes. Because the selection indicators are taking the colour for the "selected" region of the midi note colour map, this means that, in the theme mod I've made for example, these selection bars are always all black, since the notes in the piano roll turn black with a coloured outline when selected. The notation editor may need it's own independent colour map to avoid this, or possibly some logic to take the colours from either the selected or unselected region of the midi note colour map, either by option or automatically
Old 02-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #133
hve

Quote:
Sorry, "step input" is what I meant, and as you can see you do have the R key mapped to insert a note. Those are not the default shortcuts, maybe they got imported from somewhere, who knows.
That's really odd, never thought I imported anything like this ... I'll try to get back to default and see from there ... thanks
hve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #134
hve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
I agree, selected small note values may be difficult to see otherwise, but surely there is another solution... what if the coloured bar went behind the note head, and the note-head was outlined in colour as well?
Not sure if this is better, but this is what I suggested earlier ?

Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #135
semiquaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Two cheeky FRs....

Quantize Display - displayed somewhere and variable.
+1 - especially for note offs this would really help readability. Even the most precise players rarely release a note on a beat and the display gets awfully cluttered
Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #136
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hve View Post
Not sure if this is better, but this is what I suggested earlier ?

I did see this, here's what I thought:

I wouldn't prefer this, because if "colour note heads by pitch" becomes an option, this would overlap the coloured note head and reduce the functionality.

Also, in my view, a selection should draw the eye - overlaying the note heads this way actually makes them closer to the value of the background, reducing contrast and making them less visible, in terms of readability, compared to surrounding unselected notes.

But I do agree it would be neater than the current implementation. I'm just throwing out alternatives too!

Edit: On another note, if the option to colour note-heads by pitch were implemented, it might be good to have it separate from the coloured selection bars - this way, one could see the colours of note pitch on the note-heads AND, in tandem with the bars, velocity, channel, track colour simultaneously.

Last edited by Commala; 02-13-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #137
hve

Quote:
I did see this, here's what I thought:

I wouldn't prefer this, because if "colour note heads by pitch" becomes an option, this would overlap the coloured note head and reduce the functionality. Also, in my view, a selection should draw the eye - overlaying the note heads this way actually makes them closer to the value of the background, reducing contrast and making them less visible, in terms of readability, compared to surrounding unselected notes.

But I do agree it would be neater than the current implementation. I'm just throwing out alternatives too!
I see yes, maybe just surrounding the current note with a square or something. But for example in Sibelius when you select a note it's colored blue, and it's handy and easy to see what's actually selected.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #138
hve

Quote:
What OS is this, please?
Windows 10 Home 64
Old 02-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #139
Commala

Quote:
I see yes, maybe just surrounding the current note with a square or something. But for example in Sibelius when you select a note it's colored blue, and it's handy and easy to see what's actually selected.
A square could be good, yes. Like a unit selection in an RTS game.

The Sibelius solution is elegant, of course, but it limits what else you can use colour for. If the notes are coloured by selection, they can't really be coloured by pitch at the same time without everything looking confused, because colour is being applied in the same way to denote two different things.

I'm just really in love with colouring notes by pitch, in case you couldn't tell!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #140
hve

Default Note head quality

For some reason I find the notes don't look very sharp, the clefs and time signature are ok but the notes and rests do look strange.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #141
clepsydrae

FR: any plans for tablature? I loved in cubase being able to configure arbitrary strings of arbitrary tuning and have it automatically 'arrange' a melody as fret numbers. It was great for composing parts and passing them to e.g. a banjo player as a rough starting point without having to do a whole arrangement for a particular instrument, etc.

And since tab is (or at least can be) way less complicated in terms of the displayed notation, in theory it wouldn't be nearly so complicated to implement.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #142
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
For some reason I find the notes don't look very sharp, the clefs and time signature are ok but the notes and rests do look strange.

I can tell from your screenshots that it doesn't look great on your system. Would you mind checking to see if you had a prior installation of an old version of Bravura (the notation font) installed on your system? If so, it will appear in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts. If Bravura appears there, can you preview it and get the font version number? If it doesn't appear there, never mind.

The font packaged with REAPER is supposed to override this even if you do have it installed, but a report from earlier in the thread suggests the override might not be working properly.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #143
EvilDragon

Tabs would be great, I agree!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #144
pcartwright

I tried to consolidate the bugs and FR into the first three entries on this thread. I think I'm caught up, but PM me if you reported a bug or FR that I didn't add (I was fairly rushed).

Also, I didn't add the FR if Schwa identified a solution (i.e. action or something similar), but please let me know if an outstanding bug or FR has been resolved. I'll do my best to update the bug list and FR list to prevent dependency in the thread.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #145
hve

Quote:
I'm just really in love with colouring notes by pitch, in case you couldn't tell!
I understand but personally never use that option so prefer color for selection lol
Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #146
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
I tried to consolidate the bugs and FR into the first three entries on this thread. I think I'm caught up, but PM me if you reported a bug or FR that I didn't add (I was fairly rushed).

Also, I didn't add the FR if Schwa identified a solution (i.e. action or something similar), but please let me know if an outstanding bug or FR has been resolved. I'll do my best to update the bug list and FR list to prevent dependency in the thread.
Could you add a space between each entry? It's slightly hard to read as is
Old 02-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #147
snooks
Banned

Display issue with grace notes, flarps and naturals shown full size font.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #148
hve

Quote:
I can tell from your screenshots that it doesn't look great on your system. Would you mind checking to see if you had a prior installation of an old version of Bravura (the notation font) installed on your system? If so, it will appear in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts. If Bravura appears there, can you preview it and get the font version number? If it doesn't appear there, never mind.
The font packaged with REAPER is supposed to override this even if you do have it installed, but a report from earlier in the thread suggests the override might not be working properly.
No the font Bravura doesn't seem to be in the list of fonts on my system, now that's strange, maybe it hasn't been installed with Reaper 5.2 ?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #149
karbomusic

Quote:

How is this handled with a portable version? I installed the pre this morning to check the notation out and just noticed I don't have that font and I'm assuming it's because I chose portable. If not installed via portable is there a way to extract it etc?

Just installed non-portable into a VM but not seeing that font in the Fonts directory.

Ah, looks like it is in the Reaper install directory /plugins.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-13-2016 at 02:02 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #150
hve

I tested installing the official Bravura font from here http://www.smufl.org/fonts/, but the result is the same, contour of notes don't look very sharp.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #151
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
How is this handled with a portable version? I installed the pre this morning to check the notation out and just noticed I don't have that font and I'm assuming it's because I chose portable. If not installed via portable is there a way to extract it etc?

The font should be packaged with any installation, portable or otherwise. Note the font does not install itself on your system (it just sits on disk and gets installed privately by REAPER), and any installed system font should not interfere with the packaged font. If any of that is happening, or the font is not displaying, it's a bug.

You should see Bravura.otf in (Win) REAPER/Plugins (one directory level below the REAPER executable) or (OSX) Applications/REAPER/(show package contents)/Contents/Resources.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #152
jnif

Moving notes up/down does not work when inserting new notes.
I think it should work the same way as in piano-roll view.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #153
swiiscompos

Quote:
The font should be packaged with any installation, portable or otherwise. Note the font does not install itself on your system (it just sits on disk and gets installed privately by REAPER), and any installed system font should not interfere with the packaged font. If any of that is happening, or the font is not displaying, it's a bug.

You should see Bravura.otf in (Win) REAPER/Plugins (one directory level below the REAPER executable) or (OSX) Applications/REAPER/(show package contents)/Contents/Resources.
Maybe it would be easier to rename the font? I don't remember exactly the license but I don't think it should be a problem.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #154
reddiesel41264

Default Note length and pitch entry

Possible FR unless this is already implemented and I'm not seeing the actions.

Actions to change the note length, I can only see ones to change the grid length.

Action to set a selected note to a specific length

Actions to insert notes of specific pitches.

Separate actions to insert hairpins, dynamics, technique text

Shouldn't dynamics go below the staff?

Last edited by reddiesel41264; 02-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.
reddiesel41264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #155
karbomusic

Quote:

Gotcha, I saw one of the other thread references to the Fonts folder without realizing Reaper consumed it without being installed. No biggie all good here and thanks.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #156
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhajuke View Post
Feature request: Printing or PDF export
Exporting to Music XML would be useful too
Old 02-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #157
snooks
Banned

Phrases/slurs:

1. They are lost when closing and re-opening the editor.
2. They clash with beaming (can we have handles on beams and switch stem direction?)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #158
peter5992

Quick question: is it possible to display multiple staves at once, or is the notation display limited to one single track?

If the latter, then that would be a feature request for me ... otherwise it's pretty useless for orchestral scores.

Other than that, have to say that just "playing in parts" on the piano works a hell of a lot better than Sibelius. Pretty impressive.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #159
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Quick question: is it possible to display multiple staves at once, or is the notation display limited to one single track?
multiple with different clef support etc (selection is very similar to the midi piano roll "track list" method)
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #160
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
In the MIDI editor, go into the Contents menu and select Track List. Then click the eye to see the tracks (and/or items) you want to view at once.