Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Two little midi editor weirdnesses

Mmmmh, weirdnesses, is it correct? Don't know...anyway, to improve my English is not the reason I'm posting, altough you are free to help.

I'm working on my workflow, and to my surprise:
1) I open the action list. It automatically set the the window to midi editor, which makes me happy. But if I choose an action and click "Run", it will effectively run it, but also close the action list window after, just like if I had clicked "Run/Close"..

2) If I run the action "Hide unused note rows", or "Hide unused and unnamed note rows", it hides the piano, which makes the editor unusable for me.

Ohh, by the way, I'm sorry, but it just crossed my mind that I don't use the latest Reaper, I'm on 4.151. If that's the cause of my weirdnesses, I'm sorry. I just don't want to upgrade now since it's 5:32 in the morning. Thank you for reading
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
-R-

Edit: Just installed the last Reaper (4.22 rev c07 d 16). The 2 problems are still there.

Oh, and as I'm typing, does anybody think it would be nice to select the channels by names (we would set) instead of by their numbers ( upper right corner of th midi editor )?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
chrisharbin

Not sure If I'm following, so forgive if way off. Try this. Open the actions, and then choose to dock it. Now see if that helps with stuff closing you don't want.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Assuming you work in an undocked MIDI editor, I guess the action window doesn't close, but gets hidden behind your MIDI editor window (it gets focus when you trigger an action to it). You can click on that pin thing in the upper right of the action window to keep it at the front.

Hiding unnamed or unused rows will change the visuals, because otherwise you'd get a pretty strange looking piano keys area in most cases. Blacks may touch other blacks and so on. Wouldn't make much sense. I guess that's why Cockos decided to show you the named notes blocks instead.
I' also like a way to keep the piano key pics, as for some instruments (not drums) I'd like to reduce the available keys to the playable area + keyswitch area. In that use case piano keys would still make sense.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
-R-

Hi, thank you for the answers.

Docking can effectively cure the problem, but it's totally uncomfortable for me. And since it doesn't happen when you launch the action list from the main view, I confirm it is a bug ( a little one, but fix is welcome).

What Gofer says about the note row makes perfect sense. I 'm not tryin to remove some rows here and there, but, instead shorten the playable are, just like he mentionned. Gofer, how do you do it? I checked in the action list and in the manual, buthaven't found it. Thanks alot!!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I' also like a way to keep the piano key pics, as for some instruments (not drums) I'd like to reduce the available keys to the playable area + keyswitch area. In that use case piano keys would still make sense.
There are times when I don't mind it being like it is but there are also times I wouldn't mind if it was like you're suggesting gofer. Especially the keyswitch area, right now I put in all the keyswitchs at the very front just to make sure they're available. It would be nice to setup the separate keyswitch areas either top or bottom. I mainly use them on the bottom but there are those occasions.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
-R-

Shit, I misread it, I thought it was already possible...Often I have to scroll too much to reach the keyswitch zone too, it would be nice to remove the rows of the notes my VSTI can't produce...
Please, Devs?