Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default a word of warning for all the OTHER idiots out there.

yeah ummm so i wanted to play my ZSNES on my laptop... the laptop I do my recording on... and that is no problem. However i didnt want to listen to it on my cheap little laptop speakers!! Starfox and Street Fighter deserve MORE!!!

So i looked around for audio options in ZSNES to send to my firepod, to listen on my studio monitors.

none.

so i thought, well hey, ill just pipe windows mixer into the firepod, in the default audio and device settigns under control panel.

before long, i was fighting blanka in brazil and kickin some long-armed dhalsim arse.

thing is, I forgot to turn this stuff off when i went to do a little recording of "lover's cross" later.

In my acoustic fingerpicked track, there was a big TICK in one spot. And i noticed during monitoring i heard what sounded like a metronome but there was no metronome on.

i couldn't think of the reason...

then i realized that my interface was doing double duty... handling the ASIO and doign the windows mixer thing. I turned the windows stuff back to "conexant ac 97" or whatever, and all was fine.

I replaced the "click" with the same chord, played a little later on.

no other of the 3 vocal takes were harmed in this incident.

so kids, dont be stupid like me.

PS anyone know of a really good SNES emulator that uses ASIO?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Magoostus

Ha ha! I do stupid stuff like that all the time, the key to messing up is a quick recovery. good story
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Consul

I was really afraid this story was going to end with, "and suddenly, the magnets flew out of the front of my speakers and embedded themselves in the back wall." I'm glad it didn't, and that you were able to recover.
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
yeah ummm so i wanted to play my ZSNES on my laptop... the laptop I do my recording on... and that is no problem. However i didnt want to listen to it on my cheap little laptop speakers!! Starfox and Street Fighter deserve MORE!!!

So i looked around for audio options in ZSNES to send to my firepod, to listen on my studio monitors.

none.

so i thought, well hey, ill just pipe windows mixer into the firepod, in the default audio and device settigns under control panel.

before long, i was fighting blanka in brazil and kickin some long-armed dhalsim arse.

thing is, I forgot to turn this stuff off when i went to do a little recording of "lover's cross" later.

In my acoustic fingerpicked track, there was a big TICK in one spot. And i noticed during monitoring i heard what sounded like a metronome but there was no metronome on.

i couldn't think of the reason...

then i realized that my interface was doing double duty... handling the ASIO and doign the windows mixer thing. I turned the windows stuff back to "conexant ac 97" or whatever, and all was fine.

I replaced the "click" with the same chord, played a little later on.

no other of the 3 vocal takes were harmed in this incident.

so kids, dont be stupid like me.

PS anyone know of a really good SNES emulator that uses ASIO?
One of the many reasons I own a Sony PS3 and games never get installed on my PC.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
One of the many reasons I own a Sony PS3 and games never get installed on my PC.
kind of extreme

ZSNES doesnt even need to be "installed"

really, the moral of the story is,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
dont route your windows sounds through your soundcard you idiot!
not
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
dont install games on your studio pc, you idiot.
although ill leave the latter for a better example of it

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 09-08-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Hired Goon

You should build yourself a gaming cab, with the ability to emulate not only Nintendo but all of the classic arcade machines. Throw in C64, Colecovision, Intellivision, etc. Tons of plans on the net, for building from scratch or buying fully operational with computer and ROMS included.

I hate sharing a computer for audio with other things - I find it's too distracting from the audio. Email, forums, and now bloody facebook. I want seperate machines for seperate functions. Keep it simple and lean, avoid registry bloat, and boost productivity.

Currently building my own MAME (multiple arcade machine emulator) cabinet, as well as a racing sim cockpit. Music studio to follow once I get the basement partially developed.

Some high end examples:

http://www.knievelkustoms.com/neonmame.htm

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...0;attach=49383

http://www.enterleisure.co.uk/f1sims.htm
Old 09-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

well yeah i would like to have a seperate machine ideally, but the only decent pc i have is my laptop

until then just having zsnes on my lappie is no biggie.

(just have to remember to put the settings back before i do recording)

Internets of any kind are banned however.

that i leave to my wonderful 600mhz celeron

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 09-08-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
PhilR

Get yourself a cheap Xbox v1 and soft-mod it. There's one at my studio that we stuffed full of emulators. Now we have a 500Gb Xbox operating as a full media centre with a whole stack of native Xbox titles and emulators for NES, SNES, Neo-Geo and a bunch of other stuff.

It's pretty cool, shame I don't play games really cos I usually have to be in there for hours while bands practice.
PhilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Get yourself a cheap Xbox v1 and soft-mod it. There's one at my studio that we stuffed full of emulators. Now we have a 500Gb Xbox operating as a full media centre with a whole stack of native Xbox titles and emulators for NES, SNES, Neo-Geo and a bunch of other stuff.

It's pretty cool, shame I don't play games really cos I usually have to be in there for hours while bands practice.
that sounds AWESOME!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
matiss

LOL I though this was another drama thread haha

I also use a modded xbox v1 and keep the games out of music computer, I think that's the way aha aha I like it..
matiss is offline   Reply With Quote