Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Reason 11 rack plugin - no MIDI output, no MIDI LEARN (devices / browsing)!

Meh. I'd love to get some MIDI output from the Players (Scales & Chords)... even when trying the Reason 11 rack as an Input FX in Reaper... I get no chord output.

Any workaround? Thanks! Been wanting to try Reason as a plugin forever... downloaded the 30-day demo... really liking those Players....

No MIDI learn for remote control / remote override... no MIDI learn for browsing previous/next preset (depending on instrument focus)... wutttttt

Last edited by themixtape; 11-09-2019 at 02:46 AM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Props didn't implement MIDI out to their Rack plugin.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Alas No midi output..

Also all devices in a rack respond to input midi, not ideal for knocking up ideas

Otherwise I am enjoying the flexibility on having reason stuff in reaper tracks. Suits my creative workflow.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
themixtape

Yeah, that's a huge drag. Probably won't be an update allowing midi out, yeah? Poo.

Thinking of picking up Intro for the selection of plugins... is Malstrom worth the Standard purchase? I don't really need any of the other Standard effects since I have a lot of great effects...

Was thinking of buying Intro, and adding the PolyStep ($69) and Quad Note thing ($10/month until "owned" or however they do it)... instead of dropping $400 for Standard...

Still irked by the lack of MIDI-learn or intelligent midi mapping of anything. It seems that the standard CC assignments (according to the Reason 11 MIDI Implentation Guide) don't work in plugin mode, either... yikes.

Last edited by themixtape; 11-09-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
BenK-msx

Malstrom is q nice not sure if unique enough if the other parts don't interest you.

Atm I like the instruments where I can load in ancient sample/sound of mine and reimagine it with granular or stuttery modulation instruments, e g a unique sound with a fingerprint of the original.

For me I already had a library of refills and rex files from 2000era so it's nice to use that stuff, and the new instruments are pretty versatile especially within reaper.

Can use many racks in a one project without cpu overloading tho some midi usability tweaks would really help
Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Malstrom is q nice not sure if unique enough if the other parts don't interest you.

Atm I like the instruments where I can load in ancient sample/sound of mine and reimagine it with granular or stuttery modulation instruments, e g a unique sound with a fingerprint of the original.

For me I already had a library of refills and rex files from 2000era so it's nice to use that stuff, and the new instruments are pretty versatile especially within reaper.

Can use many racks in a one project without cpu overloading tho some midi usability tweaks would really help
Word... yeah, the Standard edition might be dope to invest in... I dunno.... I used Reason like 15 years ago but hated the sequencer/arranger... it seems faster these days, and still just as lightweight, which is nice to see.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
Klangfarben

I'm just baffled how you make such a huge announcement with the rack plugin, have such an opportunity to bring in more users new and old and on the release, PDC and midi output don't work. Like really guys??
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
BenK-msx

Not noticed any pdc issues but the internal midi input system seems like a fudge, lack of output more understandable.

A simple 'this device ignores midi' or 'only responds to Channel X'. Can't be that hard ...
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 AM   #9
themixtape

I just realized that Reason Intro, while priced nicely, doesn't open any type of older Reason file and I have a few from versions WAY back.. Intro only opens two types of Reason files. Reason Standard opens many, many types... as does Suite.

Might be picking up Standard... hmm.

Reason standalone seems cool. I'm finding the remote control override stuff interesting (as some of you know, I'm obsessed with midi controller configs for DAWs)... shame that you can't midi-map the L and R loop indicators, though. You can move the entire loop selection (as you can in Reaper, of course), but you can't set or move the individual points for L and R... big drag as I do enjoy the Reason timeline/sequencer (oddly)... but, better to use as a plugin inside Reaper, when it comes to control surface tweakability.

However, using Maschine and Note Relative mode for the click-encoder, you can jog left/right in the Reason timeline, which is pretty cool. And it doesn't trigger midi note input, no matter what device you're on, as long as you set the encoder to anything other than Channel 1.

Still immensely irked by the lack of MIDI learn / preset browsing via the plugin. I think Reason Studios should have had a little more planning with this Reason Rack plugin... control surface/remote control is not supported at all.... and neither is midi-mapping previous/next preset. As I mentioned in a previous post, not even the standard CC# assignments work in plugin mode (such as CC71, CC72, CC9, CC12), Why? If you're making it a plugin, wouldn't midi learn at least for basic control of the common parameters (ADSR, Cutoff, Reso, LFO) make sense?

Last edited by themixtape; 11-09-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
themixtape

Reason 11.2 adds a Midi Out instrument/device, and a cool thing called Beat Map (Standard / Suite only).

Still trying to get the hang of Reason 11 Standard... haha.

Fun stuff!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Crumbfort

Anyone else been messing around with MIDI out of the VST3 plugin in Reaper?

Pitch/Gate data is working just fine but I cannot get the plugin to actually send out any MIDI CC data via "CV in to MIDI CC out" on the MIDI OUT device.
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
themixtape

I have but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to properly record the midi output. Even routing the Reason Rack plugin to another track (as suggested by Rob Van Hees), doesn't work as intended. Especially with the RUN enabled (pattern play). It works fine when routing to 3rd party instruments... but I want to get the MIDI output recorded with the Reason instruments, themselves.

Reason always gives me a headache... haha
Old 02-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
SmajjL

Ohh, my account still works although trial is over, i'm allowed to demo-mode.. good for you reasonstudios.. here I come!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
Crumbfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I have but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to properly record the midi output. Even routing the Reason Rack plugin to another track (as suggested by Rob Van Hees), doesn't work as intended. Especially with the RUN enabled (pattern play). It works fine when routing to 3rd party instruments... but I want to get the MIDI output recorded with the Reason instruments, themselves.

Reason always gives me a headache... haha

Hrmm, recording the MIDI output seems to work fine here if I just make sure the MIDI OUT device in the Rack plugin is properly receiving input and switching the track record mode in Reaper to "Record: output (MIDI)".

Or were you trying to achieve something else? I may have misunderstood your issue.

EDIT: If you're trying to record the MIDI output while also still playing the instruments in the Rack plugin you can put your current patch in a combinator and pull the player devices out and put them above the combi. This is one way to allow both your Reason instrument and the MIDI out device to receive data from the player devices. I think you could do something similar using the CV Player Tap device.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
themixtape

Ah, thank you. Can you walk me through exactly how to set it up?

Also oddly, as I mentioned elsewhere.. I seem to be experiencing really strange behavior with the Dual Arpeggiator Player... when recording MIDI output, the pattern drops an octave and changes in a really non-musical way. When recording MIDI input, the pattern sounds exactly as it should (played live, and the recorded take) even though the midi notes aren't recorded. Really strange. Ok--- seems to be the transpose thing on some Dual Arpeggio patterns. If it's set to 0, it sounds exactly as it should, recorded.

I guess I was just trying to figure out how to hear live, any "RUN" patterns (such as with the new Beat Map). Everything works fine, recording MIDI output, when playing live. But it's nice to just have Beat Map automatically generate a pattern (say, with a Kong kit) and record the MIDI to Reaper for further manipulation/editing... that's what I was trying to do. I suppose I can live with recording the midi output (and not hearing it) after trying out different patterns in playback... it's a workaround...

Last edited by themixtape; 02-21-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
Crumbfort

I just tested out recording the Dual Arpeggiator and it seems to be working as intended. My only guess as to what's happening to you is perhaps the arpeggiator is still active in the Rack instance after you've recorded its output, so it's essentially processing the note data on the track that you recorded already. If this is the case bypassing the arp player should fix the playback issue.

So, to playback your Reason instrument and record the Rack Plugins MIDI output at the same time (one way to do it, at least, heh):

-Once you're ready to record the MIDI output, create a MIDI out device at the bottom of your device chain (it won't connect to anything).

-Select all the devices in the Rack Plugin instance, right click and hit "combine".

-Drag your player devices OUT of the combinator and place them directly ABOVE the combinator.

-Now both your Reason instrument and your MIDI out device will be receiving MIDI data from your players

-In Reaper, right click the record button on your track and change the record mode to "Record: output (MIDI)"

-Now if you record it should record the MIDI output from that Rack instance

-After you've recorded, make sure to bypass your player devices to hear accurate playback

That should do it!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #17
themixtape

So appreciated! I think I got it, FINALLY.... haha.

Before I even read your steps, but I'm going to try them out too and verify.

Ah yes.... there you go. That works great. And forgetting to bypass the midi player track was the problem, absolutely.

Here's what I did, as walked through by Rob Van Hees, but with my small modifications (if it can help others):

1. TRACK 1 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack into the FX (not input FX, just regular FX).

2. TRACK 1 - insert a Reason Player. It will automatically attach a MIDI OUT device to the Player.

3. TRACK 2 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack, and select an INSTRUMENT device (for me, I chose Europa).

4. Drag the I/O from Track 1 to Track 2, and when the pop-up window shows up, disable Audio (set it to NONE).

5. TRACK 1 - right-click the record arm button and select "Record: Output (MIDI)". Also, enable Input Monitoring.

6. Everything will work as intended... whether RUN is enabled (such as with Beat Map), or playing live.... when you hit the main RECORD button on Reaper's transport.

7. During playback, BYPASS TRACK 1 (the Reason Player track).

Done. Two instances of Reason, but no big deal. Also, Track 2 does not need to be record-armed, or have input monitoring on.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by themixtape; 02-21-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #18
vascosantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
So appreciated! I think I got it, FINALLY.... haha.

Before I even read your steps, but I'm going to try them out too and verify.

Ah yes.... there you go. That works great. And forgetting to bypass the midi player track was the problem, absolutely.

Here's what I did, as walked through by Rob Van Hees, but with my small modifications (if it can help others):

1. TRACK 1 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack into the FX (not input FX, just regular FX).

2. TRACK 1 - insert a Reason Player. It will automatically attach a MIDI OUT device to the Player.

3. TRACK 2 - insert an instance of the Reason Rack, and select an INSTRUMENT device (for me, I chose Europa).

4. Drag the I/O from Track 1 to Track 2, and when the pop-up window shows up, disable Audio (set it to NONE).

5. TRACK 1 - right-click the record arm button and select "Record: Output (MIDI)". Also, enable Input Monitoring.

6. Everything will work as intended... whether RUN is enabled (such as with Beat Map), or playing live.... when you hit the main RECORD button on Reaper's transport.

7. During playback, BYPASS TRACK 1 (the Reason Player track).

Done. Two instances of Reason, but no big deal. Also, Track 2 does not need to be record-armed, or have input monitoring on.

Thanks!!!
Unfortunately this does not work for me.
I get the input to the Reason Player instead of its output.
I can never seem to get the Player output out through the MIDI OUT device...
vascosantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #19
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3o View Post
Hi-you actually can also do this with remote override edit mode.
Remote is very powerful inside reason environment.Love it.
I tried this but could not get those things mapped. Can you give me a walkthrough? Thank you!