Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #161
Breeder
Human being with feelings

Thanks for a detailed report!

Maybe you have some kind of MIDI intensive script installed that's parsing MIDI editor data in the background. There aren't any scripts like that in REAPER ReWorked as far as I remember - maybe some type of MIDI inspector or something that you've installed separately. Well, if you find out what it is, let people know ;D
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #162
grandfougue

Cool I am testing this really cool configuration as a starting point thank you works very well
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #163
Kyeh

So I've had Reworked for a couple months or so at this point, and I think it's good for what it is. Admittedly, there are quite a few features I don't use, though I am not exactly an experienced producer. There is one part of Reworked that I have problems with, though: the default toolbars. Again, rather inexperienced, so maybe others don't have quite as much of a problem with it.

The first problem with the toolbars refers to something with the top toolbar: it just doesn't fit on my screen. My laptop has a resolution of 1600x900, and this causes the end of the toolbar, which was clearly designed for 1080p, to be cut off when the window is maximized. If there's a way to fix this other than making it smaller, removing items, or making it a floating toolbar, please let me know.

That does lead into my other issue, one with both the top toolbar and the toolbar above the mixer: there's just too much stuff in them. If you ask me, a quick menu like a toolbar should have the most basic functions that you would most often use (metronome, file settings, undo-redo, etc.) with most of everything else going in a dropdown menu or something. What's going on with the toolbars here is that you have a great mess of buttons with icons that vaguely tell you what they do resulting in an unintuitive area of your workspace with lots of actions that would be better relegated to a dropdown. I mean, most of them might even already be in a dropdown. Vanilla Reaper is just fine, it has just about everything you'd expect to be up in the top left, but Reworked tries to put too much on the platter.

Some other issues, too: since installing Reworked, the FX browser always opens to the full vertical length of my screen, which I don't want, and it's pretty annoying to keep resizing it every time I open a new Reaper session. I also take issue with the fact that SWS seems to be more difficult to access after installing Reworked. Not sure what that's about.

That being said, I generally do enjoy Reworked. It has several features that enhance the Reaper experience like the chord pads and the automatic project folders, but it's far from perfect. I think that, after adding up the pros and cons, it just about matches vanilla Reaper. I'd like to see Reworked improve over some time, and I hope it can be even better.
Kyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #164
Breeder

Well, cut the toolbar buttons you don't use out! It's there just an working example that works well for certain workflow. If any of you has different toolbars you can supply so it can be an additional download.

SWS is completely integrated - all working SWS dialogs are in the menus so basically the only things left from SWS are various custom actions you would assign to shortcuts/menus et...things which are meant for further usage by the user through the action list. I never liked how SWS stuff is separated and me actually working on SWS for years I think I remembered every thing I could put in and that it wasn't broken - you won't find snapshots for example because they are not working always, envelope actions from SWS which I did back in the day also appear broken so I wrote scripts and put it in the menus...actually, now that I think about it, if this doesn't seem as different from vanilla reaper I think I nailed it cause that's the idea

Last edited by Breeder; 02-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #165
Breeder

Regarding dialogs and their size - this is all part of the screensets. If you want to change something, load the screenset, change the dialog and then resave the screenshot.

Also note that it's good to first try resizing, reloading the screenset and then checking if the resize is preserved. If not, that means it is handled by the screenset so it will need resaving. Most dialogs are stored in screesets as far as I noticed, so I'm writing this just in case
Old 03-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #166
kaiestro

Default brso articulate UI missing

Hi Breeder,

many thanks for your work. I can already see that it's gonna supercharge my workflow. One of the main reasons I installed was for the integration with brso articulate, which I couldn't get to install or show up for my previous main Reaper installation. Now with reworked, I am able to use the js plugin midi_articulate but the UI that actually displays the keyswitches with colors and icons, does not show up. I'm not even sure how to use brso without this UI and so I dragged in UI elements from my brso files I had lying around to the place where they attempted to install to last time. Still nothing appeared besides the generic Reaper grey and white UI when I launched midi_articulate. Please help! Thanks.
kaiestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #167
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiestro View Post
Hi Breeder,

many thanks for your work. I can already see that it's gonna supercharge my workflow. One of the main reasons I installed was for the integration with brso articulate, which I couldn't get to install or show up for my previous main Reaper installation. Now with reworked, I am able to use the js plugin midi_articulate but the UI that actually displays the keyswitches with colors and icons, does not show up. I'm not even sure how to use brso without this UI and so I dragged in UI elements from my brso files I had lying around to the place where they attempted to install to last time. Still nothing appeared besides the generic Reaper grey and white UI when I launched midi_articulate. Please help! Thanks.
I feel your pain but I couldn't get used to any keyswitch workaround so I just continued using drum maps and showing hiding note names - seems to work ok for my usage but I know it's not ideal. Maybe someone else can answer on BRSO thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=173843

Btw, at one point in pre-release versions Cockos actually started working on articulation manager, maybe it will return in due time. Fingers crossed, but I hope you find the way to create what you're wanting to achieve as soon as possible. Sorry I can't be of much assistance here.

But I hope the rest of the configuration helps you get around REAPER quicker.

Last edited by Breeder; 04-02-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #168
kaiestro

Default thx breeder

Yes, Reworked is helping me already. Showing spectral waveforms by default is really nice on the eyes , and the fact that the most useful actions have been assigned shortcuts (some of which I have changed to my liking) has opened my eyes once again to Reaper's raw POWAH.

And finally the default window positions of different elements like notes, actions, media explorer and track manager has been great- I've kept the window positions the same as they integrate right into my existing work style.

I might have to just bite the bullet and learn to format my Eastwest instruments for ReaArticulate if BRSO doesn't work but I'll give what you suggested a try.

I also reached out to Blake Robinson himself about articulate for reaper, will update here if I hear news.
kaiestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #169
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Features at a glance
Built-in sequencer
We all know of the fabulous JS Megababy Sequencer. REAPER ReWorked allows you to quickly record into it by toggling the feature with Alt+R. Sequencer will get loaded automatically as soon as you start recording into a track and will record only when the feature is on. Once done you can either show pattern selector track and Ctrl-drag items from it to arrange your sequencer patterns or record pattern changes and use dedicated action to create single pattern items with images.
I would love to maybe see some video about this. Not very clear to me
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #170
Serenitynow

Wow, haven't tried it yet but seems pretty incredible. Thanks for your hard work in doing this!

Would this be compatible with Orchestra Template for Reaper?

http://otr.storyteller.im/
Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #171
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
I would love to maybe see some video about this. Not very clear to me
It's a bit convoluted, video would be nice, maybe somebody else can do it - I'm not the guy for these things (recording video) but if anyone would like to record it, I can give more thorough explanation if needed.

I've not been using this feature for a long time so I'm kinda rusty but basically just check buttons in Main toolbar (they are next to freeze buttons) or go to View->Sequencer and check menu entries. Basically, when you enable sequencer auto record option, any armed track with MIDI input will get automatically populated with sequencer (which should also automatically pop up) and while it's on (the option to auto record into sequencer) it will not record into track but into sequencer. And that's pretty much it. After you're done, because loaded sequencer preset has predetermined triggers, you can show/hide track that contains all the sequencer trigger items and just control-drag them (to copy them) to sequencer track.

Here's the licecap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kE...ua4vTAjP_0NkDf

For the rest of the stuff, it's best to refer to sequencer documentation. I've supplied a basic manual for Megababy sequencer and you can find it in Menu->Documentation. The included version of the sequencer is nandy's mod of Megababy sequencer and as far as I know it doesn't have it's own thread - you can find it here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/20869/seq%20megababy%20nm

Here's a short description on how the sequencer works:
https://reaperblog.net/2014/09/js-ef...ncer-megababy/

Remember, the included Megababy sequencer that comes with REAPER ReWorked is even further modded version so it reacts to various REAPER ReWorked menu entries/toolbar buttons that enable/disable record and enable/disable pattern switching.

One last thing I think I didn't explain is that when you record pattern switches of the patterns you recorded into sequencer, you can use one of the sequencer menu entries to convert it to induvidual sequencer midi items. Bonus, hidden feature, is that if you select existing pattern selector in pattern selector track, it will use that color.

Here's a another licecap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hd...54D26xhnOxsvL7

Sorry for the rough licecaps, but as I said, I'm kinda rusty and it's 2 AM here and I haven't used megababy in a while. Hopefully it will be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
Wow, haven't tried it yet but seems pretty incredible. Thanks for your hard work in doing this!

Would this be compatible with Orchestra Template for Reaper?

http://otr.storyteller.im/
I don't see why not if OTR is supplying only templates - REAPER ReWorked is like a basic REAPER vanilla configured to act as a good starting point so if OTR just gives you the templates, there shouldn't be any problems as far as I can tell. The only problems that could arise is if OTR requires you to mod REAPER somehow, but I haven't used OTR so I can't tell at first glance if that's the case.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #172
composerguy78

Default Can't seem to successfully install Reaper ReWorked as portable install

Hi there,
I have been trying to install Reaper Reworked as a portable install (I don't want it to mess up my main installation).

I am installing the portable install on a different internal drive from my C Drive (system drive). I have followed the instructions but I don't know where I am going wrong.

A few things that may help solve:
1. There is no Resource folder in the portable install folder - I dragged the Resource Folder from the zip file. I COPIED the Resource folder to portable install folder (this is the folder which the 'Show REAPER resource path in explorer' opens), but like I mentioned above, it is not replacing an existing folder.

2. I am installing the portable installation on my G Drive. Does it need to also be on the system drive? I doubt it. Isn't that the whole point of a portable install?

3. I enabled the Win Long Paths

4. I let Reaper run so it initiates what it needs and then quit as per Step 2 in the manual.

5. Not surprisingly I get no message box saying that the reworked setup is complete.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I think Reworked looks like just what I have been looking for and I would love to try it out.
Felix
composerguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #173
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by composerguy78 View Post
There is no Resource folder in the portable install folder
Let's say you installed your portable Reaper into G:\Reaper portable. That is your resource folder. IOW there is no portable install folder named "Resource", the folder where portable Reaper is installed is called the resource folder.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #174
composerguy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Let's say you installed your portable Reaper into G:\Reaper portable. That is your resource folder. IOW there is no portable install folder named "Resource", the folder where portable Reaper is installed is called the resource folder.
Thank you! So drag the contents of that folder in the reworked folder into that folder on the G drive
Old 04-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #175
xpander

Exactly. Drag the contents of the Resource Folder into the folder where your portable Reaper install is.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #176
composerguy78

Thank you! Success!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #177
acebone

I had an error that made me remove "reworked" immediately

When hitting Shift+ESC to get the actionlist - it complained that there was a LUA script error - something with Nil and locale (and yes, I had asked Reaper to use the Reworked lang-file.

I'm sorry I didn't screencap the error

BTW - I'm on Linux
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #178
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
I had an error that made me remove "reworked" immediately

When hitting Shift+ESC to get the actionlist - it complained that there was a LUA script error - something with Nil and locale (and yes, I had asked Reaper to use the Reworked lang-file.

I'm sorry I didn't screencap the error

BTW - I'm on Linux
Only windows is supported because the built was created on windows - I don't use other OS so I didn't really bother to test, sorry. It probably has to do either with file paths or some dialog thing/name/hierarchy - those things are usually the things that differ from windows/linux/osx
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #179
_Stevie_

Bug report: the grid settings in the arrange toolbar are not assigned.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:49 AM   #180
acebone

Quote:
Only windows is supported because the built was created on windows - I don't use other OS so I didn't really bother to test, sorry. It probably has to do either with file paths or some dialog thing/name/hierarchy - those things are usually the things that differ from windows/linux/osx
Yeah - I know, at least it wasn't a bug then

Gotta say I admire your project, coz' I love reaper, but it's UI ergonomics could be vastly approved.
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:34 AM   #181
Beat Machine

Default good job man

simple customization are really going to help real people
the issues are about integrated workflow

I spent 3 years on a similar build w/o midi

its about 3/4s done and sitting on a harddrive
any ideas?
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #182
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Bug report: the grid settings in the arrange toolbar are not assigned.
Did you update SWS by any chance? Don't do that until the newest beta comes - I have included a custom build of SWS that includes those actions which when I coded them were still officially unreleased. If you already updated, just redownload the package and copy only the SWS .dll into respective folder and it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
Yeah - I know, at least it wasn't a bug then

Gotta say I admire your project, coz' I love reaper, but it's UI ergonomics could be vastly approved.
I completely agree, there's always room for improvement - for now, I'm pretty ok with the current state. I personally am not a coder, I did this because I simply felt compelled - it was a bit of a pain in the ass to be honest, but I simply wanted to create what I felt was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Machine View Post
simple customization are really going to help real people
the issues are about integrated workflow

I spent 3 years on a similar build w/o midi

its about 3/4s done and sitting on a harddrive
any ideas?
Maybe you could prepare a simple package the same way I did and share it? It would be great if we could have multiple ready-made configurations. I actually had the same thoughts you now have - this was just sitting on my hardrive and I felt sorry for so much time and effort not being shared and that's why I shared this. I do not claim this is the best, but it was the best for me when I did it and hopefully it can help. I bet your cofiguration too could be of help to others so why not share it if you have the time and the patience to prepare it?

Last edited by Breeder; 05-03-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #183
_Stevie_

Ahh damn, that could be. I had the original SWS inside and deleted one of them. I suppose this was the version you complied, my bad!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #184
nofish

new SWS beta has just been released btw.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....99#post2281199
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #185
Breeder

Premium content package just got an update with over 190 new drum maps. Get it here.

If you've already purchased the content you should be able to redownload the package using the link you have received in the mail. If you cannot do it, please send me private message with the mail you've used to purchase and I'll send you the package!

Last edited by Breeder; 08-31-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #186
STT Strantrickt

Default Very good

Thx bro
STT Strantrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #187
STT Strantrickt

Default last project

How do I start from the last place when I exit and enter

Edit:resolved

Last edited by STT Strantrickt; 10-18-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #188
STT Strantrickt

Default Transport Bar

Why doesn't change the location of transport bar
Old 10-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #189
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Strantrickt View Post
Why doesn't change the location of transport bar
Transport is saved with the screensets so you need to resave those with new position of transport to have it work.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 AM   #190
STT Strantrickt

Default how is it

Quote:
Transport is saved with the screensets so you need to resave those with new position of transport to have it work.
how is it
Old 10-19-2020, 02:05 AM   #191
Breeder

Quote:
how is it
I believe REAPER manual has a chapter on screensets dialog where you can find how to handle it. The process should be simple - load screenset, arrange windows, save screenset. You should be able to find screensets dialog under View->Screensets->Screensets...
Old 10-19-2020, 03:57 AM   #192
STT Strantrickt

Quote:
I believe REAPER manual has a chapter on screensets dialog where you can find how to handle it. The process should be simple - load screenset, arrange windows, save screenset. You should be able to find screensets dialog under View->Screensets->Screensets...
i couldn't

Last edited by STT Strantrickt; 10-19-2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Resolved
Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #193
STT Strantrickt

Default lyrics

as if the lyrics don't work

edit:resolved

Last edited by STT Strantrickt; 10-19-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: resolved
Old 10-24-2020, 03:29 AM   #194
STT Strantrickt

Default sequencer patterns

How to use sequencer patterns?
Old 10-24-2020, 06:04 AM   #195
Breeder

Quote:
How to use sequencer patterns?
Check this thread, there was some talking about how it works, unfortunately there isn't real manual but if you play with stuff under "view->sequencer" you should get the hand of it.

In short, sequencer patterns are triggered with specific MIDI notes. When you load sequencer through one of sequencer actions (under view->sequencer), you will get midi note names for the triggers and then you can simply show "sequencer pattern track" and use ctrl+mouse drag to copy them to the track with the sequencer and trigger it. Or you can just play the sequences (or write the changes manually in the midi editor) and then use one of the sequencer actions to convert that midi item into midi item with those fancy images etc...just try it a bit.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #196
STT Strantrickt

Default help

Quote:
Check this thread, there was some talking about how it works, unfortunately there isn't real manual but if you play with stuff under "view->sequencer" you should get the hand of it.

In short, sequencer patterns are triggered with specific MIDI notes. When you load sequencer through one of sequencer actions (under view->sequencer), you will get midi note names for the triggers and then you can simply show "sequencer pattern track" and use ctrl+mouse drag to copy them to the track with the sequencer and trigger it. Or you can just play the sequences (or write the changes manually in the midi editor) and then use one of the sequencer actions to convert that midi item into midi item with those fancy images etc...just try it a bit.
ı dont understand
Old 10-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #197
Breeder

Quote:
ı dont understand
Just try loading the sequencer and learn to use it itself, then the actions will start to make sense. It's not unintuitive, you just have to play with it.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #198
gxray

Thank you so much for all the work you've put into this, and other tooling in the Reaper ecosystem.

If I could ask one question -- is there a config setting or advice you could give for freeing up horizontal screen space in the arrangement, with the number of menu items that are present by default?

This is the minimum width for all toolbar icons to display, unless I increase the vertical toolbar height, which seems to "break" the visual flow of the icons (which I assume were very intentionally laid out the way they are)

gxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #199
Breeder

Ah, the joys of toolbar modifications. The trick is to first lay out what you want to see and then just experiment with the separators (the ones you insert when you edit the toolbar) until you get to where you need it.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #200
gxray

Ah, makes sense. Bit of a dumb question in retrospect.

Thank you, and happy holidays!
gxray is offline   Reply With Quote