Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #361
grandfougue
Human being with feelings

Hello I would like to know if I can use several instances on the same or on another track?
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:22 AM   #362
Glubber

Here's the workaround for losing mappings when adding FX at lower slot numbers.
Don't use "Replace FX". Instead:
1) Delete the fX you don't want,
2) Add the FX you DO want at a higher slot number.
3) Drag the new FX to the position you want. Voila.

Similarly, to drag an FX from a different track, don't drag it where you want it. Instead, drag it to the end of the FX chain, and then drag it where you want it.

I hope this is still in development! Not much activity from the author of late.

Last edited by Glubber; 03-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Glubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #363
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glubber View Post
Here's the workaround for losing mappings when adding FX at lower slot numbers.
Don't use "Replace FX". Instead:
1) Delete the fX you don't want,
2) Add the FX you DO want at a higher slot number.
3) Drag the new FX to the position you want. Voila.

Similarly, to drag an FX from a different track, don't drag it where you want it. Instead, drag it to the end of the FX chain, and then drag it where you want it.

I hope this is still in development! Not much activity from the author of late.
Seriously, is Realearn still being developed? Has there been in update in years? https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/
Old 03-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #364
ThrashJazzAssassin

Last updated on 12-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Here's a new prerelase: ReaLearn 1.8.0-pre1

Windows Installer
Windows Portable ZIP 32-bit
Windows Portable ZIP 64-bit
OS X installer
OS X portable ZIP

The Windows installer is not signed this time. It will be on the next real release.

Changes:
#163 Improved resilience by introducing a fault barrier (whenever an error occurs, ReaLearn tries to prevent a hard crash and instead displays error information with instructions how to report it to the developer)
#169 Improved toggle mode by respecting target min/max while deciding whether to switch target parameter on or off
#168 Improved relative mode by making it support MIDI feedback as well (the feedback itself of course transmits absolute values, everything else wouldn't make sense)
#172 Improved usability and reduced complexity by removing the separate device dropdown from the MIDI clock sources and instead using the global MIDI input device (Migration instructions for people who have already used the experimental MIDI clock sources in projects: If your MIDI clock input device is different from the global MIDI input device, you need to use two ReaLearn instances now!)
#162 Improved usability by not letting source and mode fields forget their values when switching source/mode type
#175 Improved UI update behavior when using FX parameter target with track '<Selected>'
#161 Fixed possible crash when enabling/disabling take FX
#167 Fixed possible crash when using track selection target
#175 Fixed messed up mappings when dragging FX above another FX which is controlled by ReaLearn
#173 Fixed incorrect step size/count 'min' and 'max' naming
#174 Fixed potential weird behavior by preventing ReaLearn from learning a target which is in another project tab than ReaLearn itself
#174 Fixed track names in mapping window of ReaLearn instances in inactive project tabs
#170 Fixed crash when deleting a monitoring FX which is used in a ReaLearn target (please note that monitoring FX is not completely supported in ReaLearn because of limitations in the REAPER SDK, e.g. feedback is not possible)

Feedback about bugs very much appreciated, especially critical ones. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2020, 04:04 AM   #365
lowellben

Right, so no updates at all in the past 1 year, 3 months or so. Cool. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #366
jackmilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
...and another additional nice-to-have feature for MIDI feedback would be to be able to send the feedback to a track. This would allow to place a MIDI effect (e.g. JS) on that track before finally sending it back to the control surface. This could help in situations were the feedback leads to instability with the input (e.g. motor faders) due to the lag in the control loop. Also one could route the feedback to a different indicator than the original controlling element by changing the message content/channel/note number etc.
I have a jerky and slow behaviour of knobs on Behringer X-Touch Mini controlling volume faders, only when feedback is enabled. Before reading this thread this was exactly my thought - that feedback values reach the unit late enough to report an outdated values which is cause the value to revert back a bit causing an erratic behaviour.

Have you found a solution?
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #367
jackmilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwyx View Post
Helgoboss specifically states to put in on Input FX in step 3 of the Quick Start: "Add a track, arm it for recording (or at least enable input monitoring) and open its input FX chain"

No matter, if I put it on Insert FX the problem remains the same. And do you mean ReaLearn should have a dedicated track, or should it be on all tracks? That also does not seem to change the jerky feedback.

By the way, control is not just slow, it also becomes jerky. I guess there is interference between the BCR's MIDI output and input.
I found a workaround to overcome the issue.
The solution is to create a double controller mapping using standard Reaper mapping in the Actions window. Then in Realearn you disable the MIDI input, leaving output operational for feedback only. No more slow and jerky movement.
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #368
AlMagnifico

Default Encoder Sensitivity

Hi,
I am using ReaLearn with LBX Smart Knobs and MIDI Fighter Twister in Reaper as an Multi FX unit for live FX. That works quite fine, but I got a question, though:
I want to use a Midi Fighter knob to step through FX preset and programmed the knobs to act as encoder (ENC 3FH/41H). This corresponds to ReaLearn controller mode Encoder Type one. It triggers actions for "SWS/S&M: Trigger previous preset for selected FX of selected tracks" and "...next...", the latter with a copy of the mapping where the "Reversed" option is on. But the problem is, it is too sensitive, as the slightest turn of the knob triggers the actions and so it steps to the presets too fast, so: Is there any use of all that settings in the lower part of the mapping editor to change this behavior?

Some general explanations what these options mean would be very helpful. Probably this is already covered inside this thread but I don't want to read through 10+ pages of postings tbh

Last edited by AlMagnifico; 06-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.
AlMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #369
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMagnifico View Post
But the problem is, it is too sensitive, as the slightest turn of the knob triggers the actions and so it steps to the presets too fast, so: Is there any use of all that settings in the lower part of the mapping editor to change this behavior?
I think what you need is a way to "slow down" the relative increments. That's not implemented. A slow-down of e.g. 2 would only count every second increment, 3 only every third and so on. Right now ReaLearn can only do the opposite: Multiplying increments using the "Step size/count Min" slider. Would be consistent to add this feature. I'll try to integrate it (working quite much on ReaLearn these days, not too much on new features though ... I hope to bring out a new version in May).
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:28 AM   #370
beingmf

Quote:
(working quite much on ReaLearn these days, not too much on new features though ... I hope to bring out a new version in May).
Yay!!!!
Old 04-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #371
PdxLuke

Default Screen Reader Accessibility For ReaLearn?

Hi,

I'm blind and use Reaper on Windows 10 with the free NVDA screen reader by NVAccess. All of Reaper's standard VST plugins (ReaDelay, ReaPitch, ReaMidi etc) work perfectly with keyboard navigation, announcing each control/value as I press tab or shift+tab to move about the GUI. The same isn't true for ReaLearn. Tab skips right over the GUI. I can use special NVDA key sequences to dig into the GUI but it's tricky and provides incomplete access. Is there any way you could make the ReaLearn GUI responsive to screen readers? I'm not exactly sure what that entails from a technical perspective, but perhaps you as the developer have control over how the GUI handles focus, keyboard input and tab order? Might be good to start by finding out how the native Reaper VST plugins provide screen reader support. Would be greatly appreciated! If I could more easily access this plugin, it seems like it would solve multiple MIDI learn issues that the stock MIDI learn functionality doesn't provide. Thanks!

Last edited by PdxLuke; 04-28-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Typo
PdxLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #372
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Yay!!!!
I agree with this. 👍🏾

Still working well for me, but always excited for new tweaks and features. Thanks as always!
Old 05-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #373
themixtape

Quote:
I think what you need is a way to "slow down" the relative increments. That's not implemented. A slow-down of e.g. 2 would only count every second increment, 3 only every third and so on. Right now ReaLearn can only do the opposite: Multiplying increments using the "Step size/count Min" slider. Would be consistent to add this feature. I'll try to integrate it (working quite much on ReaLearn these days, not too much on new features though ... I hope to bring out a new version in May).
Nice to see you again, Helgoboss! Any news on a Playtime update for Reaper 6 or anything? Everyone's been very curious about this for MONTHS.

Just an FYI-- Logic just came out with 10.5, which brings Launchpad/Session View functionality, and EVERYONE's freaking out about it, even though you beat everyone to it!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #374
Steviebone

IS there a version of realearn that can search the actions list? I need to map 192 buttons to 192 different actions. Listing the actions in numerical order does me no good and I can't manually scroll to search through a thousand actions each time. Is there a way to search the drop down list or somehow copy/select an action from the action window itself?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 AM   #375
markhw

Quote:
...the problem is, it is too sensitive, as the slightest turn of the knob triggers the actions and so it steps to the presets too fast...
I had the same exact issue and used a workaround. I made a cycle action and put the desired action in it, plus some additional steps that just trigger a harmless action (does nothing). I found there had to be something in each step or it didn't work, so i chose to trigger one of the dummy "toggle" actions. Just add as many or as few dummy steps as you need, might take some trial and error.

Last edited by markhw; 06-01-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Doublepost
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #376
markhw

Edit: doublepost

Last edited by markhw; 06-01-2020 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Doublepost
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #377
rasmusmarshagen

Default MIDI feedback not working??

Hi @helgoboss

Trying desperately to get my kenton killamix mini (rotaryencoder) to work fully with the realearn. I.e having the MIDI Output (feedback) working along with the input. But I'm stuck.

I've put Realearn on a track with all MIDI input, Record:disable.

I've enabled the MIDI decive in the prefs.

Control Only (IN)
Enabled (OUT)

When I map a parameter (send volume for selected track for example) the control INPUT works as expected, the realearn-track doesn't even need to be recordarmed. But to get the MIDI output to send anything, I need to record-arm the Realearn-track, and now the mapping seems to output MIDI perfectly to the controller when I turn the "value-slider" in realearn, or even the sendlevel which is what is mapped. Every move I make dragging with the mouse is perfectly mirrored on my controller. But now when I try to move the actual controller, its super messy and all over the place. It seems like its sending double or conflicting outputs into the controller. One from reaper and perhaps one more from the controller and back?

Something is very off, could someone kind assist here? Thanks a bunch!!
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #378
Steviebone

I wanted to take a minute to thank Helgoboss for his massive contribution to the Reaper community. I just finished setting up a 300+ button control station for Reaper using ReaLearn. Couldn't have made that happen without his extremely useful plugin. I am constantly amazed at the generosity of the Reaper community and can't for the life of me understand why anyone would use any DAW but Reaper! Thank you for making my life immeasurably better
Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #379
rasmusmarshagen

Default No support

I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm trying to transition from Logic Pro X because of its horrible long standing bug of broken plugin-delay-compensation, which Reaper handles perfectly so thats nice. I've mimicked the key commmands and workflow very closely to logic and I have to say, if you're a little bit nerdy- reaper can be told to to almost anything.

But damn things like this make me really unsure of this DAW. A lot of basic functionality is handled by third party scripters and most of them work brilliantly. But when they don't, what do we do?

This community isn't really as engaged as advertised I have to say, and this is supposed be one of its biggest strengths... tried asking about this in the RUG facebook group with over 15K members as well. Not one reply

Last edited by rasmusmarshagen; 06-06-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #380
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmusmarshagen View Post
This community isn't really as engaged as advertised I have to say, and this is supposed be one of its biggest strengths... tried asking about this in the RUG facebook group with over 15K members as well. Not one reply
It always fascinates me how people can complain about FREE tools that aren't perfect. Nothing is perfect. Not even the high dollar DAWS. Reaper is better than most and this community is more engaged than most.

Nobody owes you anything, especially the FREE software developer. It's likely your problem is user specific and maybe there just isn't anyone who has an easy answer for you. After all, you had no luck at the other group either. Sometimes you have to find your own answers the hard way or reroute... but bitchin ain't gonna make it any better, guaranteed. Be grateful for all the tools out there because there are so many and most of them work 99% of the time.

I've been doing this for over 40 years. During that time, I have used many platforms. From Nuendo/Cuebase, to Pro Tools, to Cakewalk/Sonar, Logic, etc. For the money Reaper is an outstanding value... and that's an understatement. It's flexibility/power/customization is pretty much unrivaled.

Notice, I didn't get an answer to my specific question either, but I put in a little sweat, rethought my process and moved on.

Generally the Reaper community is very active, friendly and knowledgeable. But most people on forums such as these don't react well to a sense of entitlement. Especially from newcomers. You have to give a little to get a little.

Is ReaLearn perfect? Probably not. So what? Is it better than nothing... HELL YEAH! and the best part?.... IT'S FREE, so be grateful. If it doesn't meet your needs then move on, ... money back guarantee...

Optionally you could be patient and catch more flies with some honey... lot of people are kind of preoccupied right now ya know...

Last edited by Steviebone; 06-09-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #381
Sherazad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I see the question has been asked twice in this thread, with no reply. I guess that means no, no Linux support.

I totally understand, not complaining, just sayin, you won't have to get the installer signed, or any other permission from a giant company. And there are more Linux users and developers appearing every day.

Thanks for the great software, I'll try to get it working under wine.
Same here.
Tried to get it working under linux with no success, if anybody managed to get it working please share your knowledge.
Sherazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #382
helgoboss

If you wait until about end of this month, there will be a Linux-native version.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #383
akademie

Quote:
If you wait until about end of this month, there will be a Linux-native version.
That's cool, thanks helgoboss
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #384
Sherazad

Quote:
Awesome, thank you very much!
Sherazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #385
beingmf

While you're at it, Benjamin, is there any chance to get a searchable action list?
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 AM   #386
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
While you're at it, Benjamin, is there any chance to get a searchable action list?
It is Justin has made the action picker reusable by plugins like ReaLearn. It's already working on my development version.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:01 AM   #387
beingmf

Quote:
It is Justin has made the action picker reusable by plugins like ReaLearn. It's already working on my development version.
Yes Yes Yes Yes!
That's amazing, Benjamin, one could literally touch the question marks in the rehearsal room when I've told the guys "Hold on for a second, lemme just map this controller to this action!", haha
Old 06-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #388
rasmusmarshagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
It always fascinates me how people can complain about FREE tools that aren't perfect. Nothing is perfect. Not even the high dollar DAWS. Reaper is better than most and this community is more engaged than most.

Nobody owes you anything, especially the FREE software developer. It's likely your problem is user specific and maybe there just isn't anyone who has an easy answer for you. After all, you had no luck at the other group either. Sometimes you have to find your own answers the hard way or reroute... but bitchin ain't gonna make it any better, guaranteed. Be grateful for all the tools out there because there are so many and most of them work 99% of the time.

I've been doing this for over 40 years. During that time, I have used many platforms. From Nuendo/Cuebase, to Pro Tools, to Cakewalk/Sonar, Logic, etc. For the money Reaper is an outstanding value... and that's an understatement. It's flexibility/power/customization is pretty much unrivaled.

Notice, I didn't get an answer to my specific question either, but I put in a little sweat, rethought my process and moved on.

Generally the Reaper community is very active, friendly and knowledgeable. But most people on forums such as these don't react well to a sense of entitlement. Especially from newcomers. You have to give a little to get a little.

Is ReaLearn perfect? Probably not. So what? Is it better than nothing... HELL YEAH! and the best part?.... IT'S FREE, so be grateful. If it doesn't meet your needs then move on, ... money back guarantee...

Optionally you could be patient and catch more flies with some honey... lot of people are kind of preoccupied right now ya know...
Hi! No idea in what way I came off as entitled, not my intention at all. Yeah I'm new to reaper and I love working with it so far. Never did I say reaper wasn't worth the money don't know where you got that from. I just made an observation, and you don't have to agree and definitely dont have to take what I said personally. Theres is no real official support to connect with just the forums but thats totally fine in general, I've gotten lots of friendly support regarding other things Just wondering where to turn to when issues arise and everyone points you to a thirdparty script, and its not working? I just thought this thread would be the place to get the answer.

Anyways I'm sure Realearn can do lots a great stuff, but I thought one of its big features was making midi-feedback possible. Just basic mapping is possible natively so right now I have no idea how to appreciate ReaLearn (for my workflow) and for my situation its actually not better than nothing.

Watched ReaperBlogs videos about the feature and in the notes he wrote that he later realized that the feedback-function doesn't seem to work properly with some controllers. Would be great to see some kind of compatability-list?

Because now I kind of have to give up using my controller, and I don't even know which one to buy.

Thanks in advance for any news on this. What controllers are you using?
Old 06-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #389
Regisfofo

Hi there!

Been using very happily Realearn for music making. I wonder if there is a way to Realearn selected track's track controls. Could be handy !

Anyway thanks again for that plugin Helgoboss, I'm really curious to see the next update!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #390
helgoboss

Quote:
Anyways I'm sure Realearn can do lots a great stuff, but I thought one of its big features was making midi-feedback possible. Just basic mapping is possible natively so right now I have no idea how to appreciate ReaLearn (for my workflow) and for my situation its actually not better than nothing.

Watched ReaperBlogs videos about the feature and in the notes he wrote that he later realized that the feedback-function doesn't seem to work properly with some controllers. Would be great to see some kind of compatability-list?

Because now I kind of have to give up using my controller, and I don't even know which one to buy.

Thanks in advance for any news on this. What controllers are you using?
ReaLearn dev here. I would like to make the purpose of ReaLearn a bit more clear. Sorry, it definitely misses some documentation

ReaLearn is not about supporting specific control surfaces. It's a very generic tool and its strong point is versatility and speed. It works with *any* controller that transmits MIDI messages (including NRPN, excluding SysEx). Likewise, the feedback feature works with *any* controller that supports feedback via MIDI messages. It leaves the mapping completely up to you, fully customizable. If you need to build some custom mappings, ReaLearn gives you the chance to do that very quickly. So if in the video it says that feedback doesn't work properly with some controllers, it sounds to me like either the mapping has not been set up correctly or that controller just doesn't support feedback via MIDI.

Personally I use it mostly with general-purpose MIDI controllers such as MIDI keyboards, APC Key 25, Presonus Faderport, Arturia MiniLab, MIDI Fighter Twister (the last one is my absolute favorite, extremely well designed and robust and the best feedback experience). The initial idea of ReaLearn was: "Make parameter x controllable with fader y. Oh yes, and with feedback, please." Consequently, this is what it does best, in my opinion. It's perfect for building live setups, where you want to quickly build a very custom setup that is unique to a particular live project. That's also where all the min/max faders come in handy: You can control exactly which range of the target parameter should be controlled or how strong endless encoders affect the target parameter. That's why I call it a "A more musical MIDI learn" on the website.

ReaLearn can also be used to map control surfaces in order to control the complete DAW. But either you must build the mapping by yourself or someone shares a preset with you (e.g. via "Export to clipboard" and "Import from clipboard"). It's not tailored to this use case, so it could still need some improvements in this area. Example: I watched the video which was mentioned here and was wondering why the user combined ReaLearn with "LBX Smart Knobs". My immediate reaction was, hey, why not just use ReaLearn only? But then I figured out that he uses it for remembering plugin-specific settings. This is something which would be easy to add to ReaLearn as well but I never had this use case.

Again, all of this works only if the device has full general-purpose MIDI support. E.g. I think some of the Mackie stuff uses proprietary MIDI SysEx stuff, so that won't work with ReaLearn. Or some devices such as the Presonus Faderport must be switched to a MIDI mode first.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #391
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Been using very happily Realearn for music making. I wonder if there is a way to Realearn selected track's track controls. Could be handy !
What do you mean by track controls?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #392
Regisfofo

I mean the ones we can attach to the tcp.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #393
helgoboss

Quote:
I mean the ones we can attach to the tcp.
You mean that ReaLearn creates on-the-fly (whenever another track is selected) for each TCP track control a mapping? And then auto-mapping it to a set of knobs on one controller?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #394
Regisfofo

Quote:
You mean that ReaLearn creates on-the-fly (whenever another track is selected) for each TCP track control a mapping? And then auto-mapping it to a set of knobs on one controller?
Yes, something like that ! And as track's controls are saved with FX chains and track templates, it could be pretty easy to set up IMO. A limit I see though with this workflow is I think they sadely can't be reordered.

Hope my english is understandable enough. Not my native language.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #395
revdrmaru

"...when I try the current version, it doesn't work,"

It made my day to see this comment from as talented a developer as you.
revdrmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #396
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Hi! No idea in what way I came off as entitled, not my intention at all.
I can respect that intentions are hard to infer in a textual context...just maybe hold off a little longer when saying a community isn't engaged after no response for two days in the middle of a pandemic, among other things...haha...

I had never encountered your controller, but an initial google search showed people having what I believe to be(?) a similar problem with Traktor with concerns to moving the knobs too fast and things going haywire, so it might not be a Realearn specific issue.

With Reaper, it's also always good to gather more info to share with developers and the community.

A good start would be to use a plugin like ReaControlMIDI (included in REAPER), or MIDI Logger to capture the actual data being sent to and from your controller; this should be a good starting point for diagnosing what's going on.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #397
AlMagnifico

Quote:
I watched the video which was mentioned here and was wondering why the user combined ReaLearn with "LBX Smart Knobs". My immediate reaction was, hey, why not just use ReaLearn only? But then I figured out that he uses it for remembering plugin-specific settings. This is something which would be easy to add to ReaLearn as well but I never had this use case.
Some explanation on LBX Smart knobs, because I also have this use case (with Twister) here. I can load an FX and always have the right mapping for the plugin at hand. And it is not just to remember plugin-specific mappings, it is also to have visual feedback in a coherent way."Dry/wet mix" for instance, is always on knob 1 on my MF Twister, delay time of each different delay is knob 2 and so on, and I dont have to orient on the GUI of the specific plug-in to see what the actual value is because it is all in the strips of LBX Smart knobs.

I have to do the mapping in Smart Knobs once and have it at hand, every time I load the plug-in again. The trick is with smart knobs that you don't control a plug-in directly with ReaLearn, Realearn controls always the same 32 parameter of an auxiliary JS script called faderbox (that resides together with ReaLearn on a track with a special name) and these parameters are mapped to the plugins' via Smart knobs, dependent on what plugin GUI has focus.

The backdraft is, that you cannot have any of the advanced parameter scaling features of ReaLearn.

Edit: The whole procedure is covered in the Reaperblog video: https://reaperblog.net/2019/04/midi-feedback/

PS: This thread suggests, that LBX is oblivious of ReaLearn either https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=231287 Maybe @lbx and @helgoboss should work together?

Last edited by AlMagnifico; 06-17-2020 at 07:20 AM.
AlMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #398
mschnell

Quote:
Edit: The whole procedure is covered in the Reaperblog video: https://reaperblog.net/2019/04/midi-feedback/
I still feel that using CSI is more appealing, more straight forward, less confusing and more versatile (unless you want to combine this stuff with some more custom driven automation).
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-18-2020 at 04:15 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #399
helgoboss

Quote:
Some explanation on LBX Smart knobs, because I also have this use case (with Twister) here. I can load an FX and always have the right mapping for the plugin at hand. And it is not just to remember plugin-specific mappings, it is also to have visual feedback in a coherent way."Dry/wet mix" for instance, is always on knob 1 on my MF Twister, delay time of each different delay is knob 2 and so on, and I dont have to orient on the GUI of the specific plug-in to see what the actual value is because it is all in the strips of LBX Smart knobs.

I have to do the mapping in Smart Knobs once and have it at hand, every time I load the plug-in again. The trick is with smart knobs that you don't control a plug-in directly with ReaLearn, Realearn controls always the same 32 parameter of an auxiliary JS script called faderbox (that resides together with ReaLearn on a track with a special name) and these parameters are mapped to the plugins' via Smart knobs, dependent on what plugin GUI has focus.

The backdraft is, that you cannot have any of the advanced parameter scaling features of ReaLearn.

PS: This thread suggests, that LBX is oblivious of ReaLearn either https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=231287 Maybe @lbx and @helgoboss should work together?
Ah, thanks AlMagnifico for the explanations. Now I understand the LBX part better. Maybe having a feature in ReaLearn to automatically load mappings based on the current combination of "MIDI input device" and "currently focused FX" would be something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I still feel that using CSI is more appealing, more straight forward, less confusing and more versatile (unless you want to combine this stuff with some more cuzstom driven automation).
-Michael
Oh wow, yet another project I was not aware of. Seems to go more in direction of control surfaces, though. ReaLearn is geared towards quick and very custom MIDI learn, e.g. VSTi parameters. Things that tend to be different for each project. Not so much control surfaces. But I would be happy if it could cover some more of the control surface use cases.

Quote:
Yes, something like that ! And as track's controls are saved with FX chains and track templates, it could be pretty easy to set up IMO. A limit I see though with this workflow is I think they sadely can't be reordered.

Hope my english is understandable enough. Not my native language.
No worries, I understand you well Though English isn't my native language, too.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:19 AM   #400
mschnell

Quote:
I would be happy if it could cover some more of the control surface use cases.
I don't think this is important. CSI is configurable for close to any Control surface hardware and close to all desirable workflow. But hence the configuration is decently complex and demanding. Here, CSI IMHO is the upcoming "standard".

I understand that ReaLearn is more for "on the spot" and "combination" use and will decently shine on that behalf.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote